.223 not enough for coyotes. makes me laugh.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel as though there is more to this than whats really being discussed but will just leave that dog lay. Almost everyone that has used a 223 knows it will kill coyotes.

Originally Posted By: orkan...... The only people that get hot about this subject are those that think their thing is the only thing.

Bingo bango bongo!!

It's humorous to see some people get all bent out of shape and butt hurt in these types of discussions.

And I love how some people immediately jump to apparently erroneous conclusion about the "inexperienced fool" who is making the outrageous statements they don't like.

I used to use a 22-250 for all my coyote hunting. Bought a 223 and rarely use the 22-250 anymore. I started reloading and started using my 270 for coyotes just for chits and giggles. While I do like how drastically it puts down coyotes, I still find myself doing the majority of my coyote hunting with the 223 just because I'm real confident with it and think it's fun to shoot/carry. It's the only rifle that never leaves the floor board of my truck. Do I think its better than any other rifle?...Nope! It's all about personal preference in the end in my opinion.

Originally Posted By: MPFDIs this poster by chance from Coyote Gods?

Tried to find them. Seems they went under a few years ago. From what I read, probably for the best. I read they were a bunch of Richard Cranium's.

Hearing how poorly the 223Rem is on coyotes; I can't help but wonder if the 100+ deer I've seen killed with the 223 maybe died from old age rather than lead... You know, heard the loud noise & just stroked out???

terrific read
thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI'm was sitting here wondering how far it is before a 223 barley anchors a prairie dog ? Would be good to know,so I can take note for the future.

I was wondering the same thing. Where's the popcorn, this is thread has potential!
lol.gif

Squeeze

Ignorance is bliss, I can't believe I used a 223 for 30 years to hunt an do control work let alone using a 22H, 218 Bee and 222 to kill coyotes.

Just as interesting I haven't had a working 223 around for about 15 years now, I've got a couple of new 223 barrels on the shelf but nothing I can actually shoot. There wasn't a thing wrong with the 223 it just got boring, so it was on to more interesting things like 22-204, 5.6x52R, 5.6x50R Magnum and 6.5x58R Sauer and for tossing LF bullets at coyotes a 6mm-204. I find making the strange stuff work a lot more fun and satisfying.

I would never consider anything under 25 cal for a deer rifle with a 7mm Mauser 175gr RN, 375 Win 250gr and 35 Whelen 250gr RN ideal, but that has more to do with my hunting style than anything. I still hunt and track deer in heavy cover, rarely getting a broadside shot and having to take what ever shot is available meaning I have to have enough gun to reach the vitals from any direction.

The .223 is suitable for about 300 to 350 yards. It is important to use heavier bullets that are 55 or more grains for the best results. You say it ran off at 600 yards when you shot it in the leg with a 36 grain varmint grenade? Imagine that... If .223 did not work well professional callers like byron south would probably pick a bigger gun. I'm looking forward to turning my new .243 on dogs, but I sure have never felt under gunned with a .223.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: MPFDIs this poster by chance from Coyote Gods?

Tried to find them. Seems they went under a few years ago. From what I read, probably for the best. I read they were a bunch of Richard Cranium's.

nope, most were dedicated coyote men, with ALOT of experience in the field. They got a bad rap for seperating fact from internet BS

I have always thought it was the "JOB" of the older, wiser, more experienced hunters, to help educate and coach the newer hunters. It seems if Coyote Gods went under because they separated fact from internet BS, thats to bad. From what I read, they thought themselves as "gods" and everyone else were mere mortals and had no business on "their" forum. New people talked about their hunting experiences only to be slammed by the moderators and members. Then their posts removed. Not everyone can afford $10,000 rifles just to kill coyotes. Some can barely afford $300 rifles and cheap ammo to feed it. Do we tell them they aren't welcome here too? If people remember a few years ago, a member shooting a Stevens 200 and a Simmons scope kicked some serious butt at an egg shoot and walked away the winner. Deep pockets and high dollar equipment don't make you a better person or a better hunter.Damm sure don't make you a "God". You just have nicer toys.

I was a member over at "Coyote Gods" for a number of years never had a problem. They respected the coyote as a resource equal to a deer or elk. Harvesting and saving pelts were high in value to them, wanton killing of coyotes year round or blowing them to smithereens didn't impress them and they had no problems expressing their opinion.

Here's where I need to shut up.

Originally Posted By: SqueezeOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI'm was sitting here wondering how far it is before a 223 barley anchors a prairie dog ? Would be good to know,so I can take note for the future.

I was wondering the same thing. Where's the popcorn, this is thread has potential!
lol.gif

Squeeze

I likey popcorn !
thumbup1.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: SqueezeOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeI'm was sitting here wondering how far it is before a 223 barley anchors a prairie dog ? Would be good to know,so I can take note for the future.

lol.gif

Squeeze

I likey popcorn !
thumbup1.gif

Plain or buttered?

I've got no issues with a .223 on coyotes. Can't say I have experience yet, thus far coyotes have been a target of opportunity and my calling efforts haven't paid off. My kills have been with a muzzleloader throwing a .458 bullet (impressive sight) and a 300WM pushing a 110VMAX at 3800fps (again, very impressive sight).

I don't expect such fireworks with a .223, but I fully trust it to get the job done on a 30-50lb animal. I'd not use one on a deer though, so many better options.

Heck, I'm prepping to build a 20 Practical so my kids can get in on the fun within reasonable ranges...

Originally Posted By: hate2workOriginally Posted By: pyscodogOriginally Posted By: MPFDIs this poster by chance from Coyote Gods?

nope, most were dedicated coyote men, with ALOT of experience in the field. They got a bad rap for seperating fact from internet BS

Kinda like orkan... And me.... In this thread.

Been using this round for 30 years and no problems. First time using it, M16a1, loose as crapp. Could literally shake the upper and lower apart. Loved it when they come out with a2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back