.22 nosler

I hope black hole scraps the 22x6.8 and just switches over to this. Its nice not to even change bolt heads. brass isn't that expensive. I might actually try it if I get board

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243Originally Posted By: varminter .223I missed the sale but I got in on the 30 dollar off 300 deal so I ended up with a barrel, a mag, and 5 boxes of the 55 ammo. It was only 10 buck more than the sale so I said what the heck. I picked up all the other stuff from Joe Bob's and Mid South. This will my first complete piece meal build. At 49.95 for a stripped Anderson upper I saw no need to tear my psa apart. I figure I will test the factory ammo with some decent glass then slap on the photon for the rest of the night hunting season since they were out of dies. Then when it warms up and the dies are back in I hopefully will have some empty cases.

That's my plan this summer is 22Nosler with my Photon xt slapped on it

I think this will make an ideal rifle for night hunting because it is so hard to judge distance. With the 55s this should be a dead on hold out to 225 or so and I can't see myself ever shooting past that and it really is a cheap build with the rebated rim and ar compatability. I just can't get on the heavy bullet band wagon....I prefer a laser.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve garrettI hope black hole scraps the 22x6.8 and just switches over to this. Its nice not to even change bolt heads. brass isn't that expensive. I might actually try it if I get board

Except that the Nosler is single source brass and is soft. The extra case length cuts down on bullet choice. The rebated rim can be problematic in top pressure loadings. The brass cannot be made out of anything readily available thanks to that rim. One could use HAGAR or 30 Remingtion brass but a lathe would be needed.

Since you don't have a BHW 22X6.8 or any of the other barrels they make that I know of it's pretty presumptuous of you to be talking about something you have absolutely no experience with. The cartridge is one of the best performing 22's I've ever shot and I can say I've shot more than one.

Greg

I hope most of my 22 nosler brass never is able to be recovered...I hope it is lost out in some once coyote infest area hiding in a field of sort's. I can't see myself plugging away off the bench except for load work up with any ar. I just want a flat shooting dedicated night hunting rifle with thermal atop. Only issue is what is my excuse to buy any more bolt actions if I no longer day hunt.....
scared.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I hope most of my 22 nosler brass never is able to be recovered...I hope it is lost out in some once coyote infest area hiding in a field of sort's. I can't see myself plugging away off the bench except for load work up with any ar. I just want a flat shooting dedicated night hunting rifle with thermal atop. Only issue is what is my excuse to buy any more bolt actions if I no longer day hunt.....
scared.gif

Noble aspirations.

Greg

I think this round is going to be a big hit. I run a 6x6.8 as my primary rifle and I love it. The issue I have is I shoot alot. I hunt year round and travel between 10-15 states a year coyote hunting, its just not fun to load up 250 rounds every time I go to New Mexico for a week. I've been waiting for a company to start loading some factory 22x6.8 or 6x6.8 loads but tactical ammunition was the only one's offering the 6mm stuff for a short time. The 22 nosler fills the void, for me anyway. I think if they get a few more bullet options out which i've heard they plan on doing, it will take place of the 223 for most coyote hunters.

Originally Posted By: yotehunter243What kind of speech does the 22x68 shoot the 77gr vs. The 22Nosler?

I looked at my 77 data that involved only two bullets and two powders. With CFE 223 I shot 2865 at 29.0 in 70 degree weather. The same load from Nosler, shooting 39.5 and 28.5 would be about 2908. Mine wasn't showing any pressure. I was more interested in the light bullets for PD's. Component/atmoshperic variation may be at play.

Ritch shot some 55's using 31.3 CFE Rem 7 1/2's and this was what the case heads looked like:

Not good with the swipes evident at their mid level loadings. Remember that while the head is 223 it still gets the bolt thrust of the 6.8/HAGAR sized case, Unlike a 223 at XXX pressure you will see more brass hammering thanks to that little bit of physics on the Nosler.

I have not 55's in mine but I have shot 50's using 33 of CFE getting 3553. The 55's from Nosler at 33 show 3518. CFE was not my powder choice on the 50's and I ended up using 31.5 of RL15 at 3734. Nosler with a 55 shooting of 31.5 RL15 shows 3437. The 50's are like an atom bomb when they hit a PD.

The 22X6.8 is set up to hit the lands early and can be reached at standard magazine length less than 2.260. Ritch has pressure tested all my loads and on the 50's I could have, and do, gone higher with a nice cushion. No brass deformation on them and the pockets are nce and tight after half a dozen firings.

Greg

Keep up the info. I'm looking at the 22dti for my next purchase and want all the info I can get on the performance of these.

Originally Posted By: reaper4Keep up the info. I'm looking at the 22dti for my next purchase and want all the info I can get on the performance of these.

The DTI and a 22X6.8 are so close as to be statically even. The Nosler will enjoy the factory brass advantage but making the other doesn't take much if you have a couple of bushings.

I hate single source anything in the gun world. We saw this in the 25 WSSM and a few other rounds. Factory ammunition may or may not shoot and coupled with the bullet selections offered it misses a lot of real estate we get to home brew for.

I can't wait to see the official pressure numbers from SAAMI on this one. I'm suspecting 55,000 because of the rim being somewhat limiting. The good thing is that the reloader can bump the Nosler up a bit in some cases if past history indicates anything. Brass life will be setting the bar on that one.

I believe they should have released some longer barrels on the initial roll out. It would strengthen the interest for those of us that want every ounce of performance we can get and an 18" for me won't fill that bill. Ideal for a stand caller but not for a colony gun.

Greg

Ar15 performance is also feeling out 22 nosler barrels at 18" or 20". Legitimate interest would get him on board quicker also. On the premium end Proof research is already committed also.

I have been looking around have haven't seen too much info on the dti or the nosler. I shoot a lot of 52smk out of my .22 caliber rifles and am trying to get an idea of what I could load them to in a nosler or dti type chambering

Last edited:
Probably take their 55 data and add 200 on he Nosler as it appears conservative.

The DTI/22X6.8 will run with them without any issues as there is only about 1 grain of H2O difference in case capacity. You might see that much variation in 223 cases in a given batch so it really is a moot point IMHO.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: yotehunter243What kind of speech does the 22x68 shoot the 77gr vs. The 22Nosler?

I looked at my 77 data that involved only two bullets and two powders. With CFE 223 I shot 2865 at 29.0 in 70 degree weather. The same load from Nosler, shooting 39.5 and 28.5 would be about 2908. Mine wasn't showing any pressure. I was more interested in the light bullets for PD's. Component/atmoshperic variation may be at play.

Ritch shot some 55's using 31.3 CFE Rem 7 1/2's and this was what the case heads looked like:

Not good with the swipes evident at their mid level loadings. Remember that while the head is 223 it still gets the bolt thrust of the 6.8/HAGAR sized case, Unlike a 223 at XXX pressure you will see more brass hammering thanks to that little bit of physics on the Nosler.

I have not 55's in mine but I have shot 50's using 33 of CFE getting 3553. The 55's from Nosler at 33 show 3518. CFE was not my powder choice on the 50's and I ended up using 31.5 of RL15 at 3734. Nosler with a 55 shooting of 31.5 RL15 shows 3437. The 50's are like an atom bomb when they hit a PD.

The 22X6.8 is set up to hit the lands early and can be reached at standard magazine length less than 2.260. Ritch has pressure tested all my loads and on the 50's I could have, and do, gone higher with a nice cushion. No brass deformation on them and the pockets are nce and tight after half a dozen firings.

Greg

Thanks for the info. I have been curious of how they stack up side by side.

With luck I can give some numbers I will have shot personally. The 18" barrel won't help. Bait and switch on velocities is a bummer. Adding inches and powder charges can really muddy the waters. Most barrels used are pressure type and the bores can vary greatly from the finished products. I suspect who furnished the barrels for the Nosler work but they won't be releasing that if I am not mistaken.

Case and cartridge development is always a challenge is fun. Of course you always run into some fellows that drop case capacity drastically and claim to out run the parent case or a larger one just because they change a shoulder angle. The 223 variant guys are the world's worst for that.The 6.8 world seems a bit more sane though there are some that do make you scratch your head with all the smoke and mirrors rationalizations.

Greg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GLShooterWith luck I can give some numbers I will have shot personally. The 18" barrel won't help. Bait and switch on velocities is a bummer. Of course you always run into some fellows that drop case capacity drastically and claim to out run the parent case or a larger one just because they change a shoulder angle. The 223 variant guys are the world's worst for that.The 6.8 world seems a bit more sane though there are some that do make you scratch your head with all the smoke and mirrors rationalizations.

Greg
As soon as I saw case capacity and midway barrels in 18" I thought they were selling their selves short

Back