.22 nosler

I'll have to measure some but a SWAG is maybe 1.6 grains bigger than the 22 LBC but the LBC will be a bit more versatile in that you aren't using up case capacity stuffing the big bullets down in the case.

Greg

That is why I went with 243 lbc --from 6x45 -- versatility --
From 25gr jump to 30--
Lapua brass also --
Still gonna watch how this turns out --
Thx

I got a bunch of unexpected overtime this week so I couldn't resist a $100 barrel and 100 pc of brass. I'll let you know how it shoots.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI got a bunch of unexpected overtime this week so I couldn't resist a $100 barrel and 100 pc of brass. I'll let you know how it shoots.

What dies did you buy?

Greg

I recieved my ar stoner side charging upper last week. I mounted it to a core 15 lower with timney trigger. It is a nice looking upper but there was quite a bit of side to side play once pinned. I also ordered two boxes of 55gr ammo, 100 empty brass, and the rcbs die set. I took it to my friends range to get dialed in. out of ten shots a few of the cases had been scarred up on the bottom next to the primer. Once I noticed this I fired two more shots. The first of the two had no issues the second was the scarred the same. I contacted midway and arranged an exchange of uppers and they also are sending me a box of 100 brass for the problems. The rifle functioned flawlessly besides that.

Originally Posted By: midwestkidI recieved my ar stoner side charging upper last week. I mounted it to a core 15 lower with timney trigger. It is a nice looking upper but there was quite a bit of side to side play once pinned. I also ordered two boxes of 55gr ammo, 100 empty brass, and the rcbs die set. I took it to my friends range to get dialed in. out of ten shots a few of the cases had been scarred up on the bottom next to the primer. Once I noticed this I fired two more shots. The first of the two had no issues the second was the scarred the same. I contacted midway and arranged an exchange of uppers and they also are sending me a box of 100 brass for the problems. The rifle functioned flawlessly besides that.

How did it shoot accuracy wise?

Originally Posted By: midwestkidI recieved my ar stoner side charging upper last week. I mounted it to a core 15 lower with timney trigger. It is a nice looking upper but there was quite a bit of side to side play once pinned. I also ordered two boxes of 55gr ammo, 100 empty brass, and the rcbs die set. I took it to my friends range to get dialed in. out of ten shots a few of the cases had been scarred up on the bottom next to the primer. Once I noticed this I fired two more shots. The first of the two had no issues the second was the scarred the same. I contacted midway and arranged an exchange of uppers and they also are sending me a box of 100 brass for the problems. The rifle functioned flawlessly besides that.

Looking forward to more data as you go.

Some things to consider would be first off the brass is soft. Second the barrels are over gassed and will benefit greatly from an adjustable block. You can polish up the extractor and ejector a bit on the next one but from what Ritch has seen this is going to be an issue. The shoulder growth at 0.009 on his initially makes it worse. I suspect that once you start loading a large amount of the case head damage will go away.

Greg

Originally Posted By: GLShooterOriginally Posted By: 204 ARI got a bunch of unexpected overtime this week so I couldn't resist a $100 barrel and 100 pc of brass. I'll let you know how it shoots.

What dies did you buy?

Greg

The rcbs set that is in stock. I have all the other parts, including an adjustable gas block. It should be a fun project.

They have these barrels in stock at Midway right now, wish I didn't have so many other projects or I would try it out, looks like it would be a fun caliber.

Originally Posted By: BeniGot 2 barrels shipped from Midway today. Does anyone know if anyone makes headspace gauges yet?

I suspect PT&G does as rumor has it they made the reamers.

Greg

I'm wondering if the 8 twist will cause 50 grain vmax to come apart? Or if I will see speeds fast enough for that in an 18" barrel.

For me a 22", 12 twist barrel would be perfect. But this should get me a good idea of what the round is capable of.

Originally Posted By: 204 ARI'm wondering if the 8 twist will cause 50 grain vmax to come apart? Or if I will see speeds fast enough for that in an 18" barrel.

For me a 22", 12 twist barrel would be perfect. But this should get me a good idea of what the round is capable of.

My 22X6.8 blows them up at 3750. Keep them below 3650 and I am good. Going to the Sierra or Nosler has allowed me to forget that speed limit.

Greg

I missed the sale but I got in on the 30 dollar off 300 deal so I ended up with a barrel, a mag, and 5 boxes of the 55 ammo. It was only 10 buck more than the sale so I said what the heck. I picked up all the other stuff from Joe Bob's and Mid South. This will my first complete piece meal build. At 49.95 for a stripped Anderson upper I saw no need to tear my psa apart. I figure I will test the factory ammo with some decent glass then slap on the photon for the rest of the night hunting season since they were out of dies. Then when it warms up and the dies are back in I hopefully will have some empty cases.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I missed the sale but I got in on the 30 dollar off 300 deal so I ended up with a barrel, a mag, and 5 boxes of the 55 ammo. It was only 10 buck more than the sale so I said what the heck. I picked up all the other stuff from Joe Bob's and Mid South. This will my first complete piece meal build. At 49.95 for a stripped Anderson upper I saw no need to tear my psa apart. I figure I will test the factory ammo with some decent glass then slap on the photon for the rest of the night hunting season since they were out of dies. Then when it warms up and the dies are back in I hopefully will have some empty cases.

That's my plan this summer is 22Nosler with my Photon xt slapped on it

Originally Posted By: steve garrettis black hole going to be offering the chambering in their barrels?

There has been some talk. I suspect it will be based on customer interest. At only a grain more than the 22X6.8 and the longer case limiting bullet choices I won't be going all in on it.

Greg

Originally Posted By: steve garrettis black hole going to be offering the chambering in their barrels?

X-caliber barrels is offering the 22nosler now.

Originally Posted By: 1badsheeOriginally Posted By: steve garrettis black hole going to be offering the chambering in their barrels?

X-caliber barrels is offering the 22nosler now.

Their prices seem fair. If I like the caliber, and if the brass seems good with this initial test run with the midway barrel I think I will go for a 22", 12 twist. I want a 50 gr rocket launcher. My 24" 223AI will send them at 3400 fps, which isn't too bad in an ar, but I think the Nosler will beat it by 250 fps +, or so I'd hope.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: varminter .223I missed the sale but I got in on the 30 dollar off 300 deal so I ended up with a barrel, a mag, and 5 boxes of the 55 ammo. It was only 10 buck more than the sale so I said what the heck. I picked up all the other stuff from Joe Bob's and Mid South. This will my first complete piece meal build. At 49.95 for a stripped Anderson upper I saw no need to tear my psa apart. I figure I will test the factory ammo with some decent glass then slap on the photon for the rest of the night hunting season since they were out of dies. Then when it warms up and the dies are back in I hopefully will have some empty cases.

The dies are available. Just not the AR set. Shouldn't need the small base capabilities they provide I hope.

Back