22-250 for deer

Originally Posted By: GerbsI know for a fact that a 60 grain Nosler Partition out of a 22-250 placed into the front shoulder of a 180 lbs. whitetail deer will anchor them very well. Even better than an arrow into the front shoulder!
lol.gif

I had to quit shooting deer in the front shoulder with my bow. It ruins to much meat -------- EVERY BIT OF IT WHEN THEY RUN OFF & DIE HOURS OR DAYS LATER, never to be found

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Guess you need a little more practice with your bow then...

Na - I got a 22-250
tt2.gif

If you have never stuck one in the shoulder with a bow, you haven’t ever shot many. I don't care who you are. It's going to happen given enough opportunities.

You ever shot a deer in the head with your bow (on purpose)? I have & can tell you that don't work as good as a rifle either.
wink.gif
(Pretty funny story, PM me & I'll tell you about it)

Ha there is always that. We can't use a rifle on ohio, nor do i choose to gun hunt. So i HAVE to be good with bow. Plus i absolutely HATE when a deer doesn't go down quick. Not big on the suffering, plus its a long walk. Luckily i have only lost 3 deer in my life (3 too many), and the furthest i have have ever had one run and drop is about 200 yds at most.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokin250i have only lost 3 deer in my life (3 too many

I'm assuming that was with a bow then? Prolly shoulder shot or gut shots. Maybe you should practice more. BTW, those same shots with a rifle, would have killed the deer faster.

I'm not downing the bow, not sure how we got sidetracked. But there is no way you can say a bow is as leathal as a rifle; ESPECIALLY if you've not killed MANY deer with both for comparision. I've killed several deer with just about anything (it's nice to have pretty much unlimited tags here). Archery is well above tire irons & rocks. Small rifles arn't quite as good (in all situations) as big rifles; but leaps & bounds above the bow/crossbow.

All bow.

1st one i was young, and gut shot it. Deer went down within 40 yds...my lack of knowledge sent me after the deer. I spooked it, and never found it.

2nd I hit limb or something and arrow kicked and hit in a non-lethel spot. No organs hit.

3rd i miss judged yardage and shot high, just under spine. Gave deer 5 hours, with no pushing, and never found deer...again non-lethel shot.

Now, as i have said, thats 3 more deer then i care too...every single on of those deer made me sick. I have seen countless deer shot with a gun, that had bad shots made on them, run off and never found. I have found several on our farm that were gut shot from the neighbors that are blindly shooting at "brown" as they call it. With my bow i have succesfully harvested a great deal of deer with my bow. Like i have said, shot placement is everything, no matter with a gun or a bow. I pfrefer a bow over gun all day long...thats my choice and ill stick by it. I think a bow or a gun in the hands of the correct individual is going to be just as lethel. SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT.

Loosing the deer i have has only made me a better hunter and shooter...i have learned from my mistakes and learned what shots to not take, and what things to pay more attention to whats going on.

And for the record i have killed deer with a gun too, all went down very fast, except one i liver shot when i was 14. It ran about 300-400 yards.

As stated above, sorry for the sidetrack action.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Smokin250
I have found several on our farm that were gut shot from the neighbors that are blindly shooting at "brown" as they call it. With my bow i have succesfully harvested a great deal of deer with my bow.

Chances are that if your neighbors are shooting and wounding deer with their rifles, they are shooting and wounding deer with their bows also.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250All bow.

2nd I hit limb or something and arrow kicked and hit in a non-lethel spot. No organs hit.

3rd i miss judged yardage and shot high, just under spine. Gave deer 5 hours, with no pushing, and never found deer...again non-lethel shot.

I'm not trying to pick apart your post, but just because you didn't find the deer doesn't mean that it was a non-lethel shot. Hands-down there are more deer wounded and not recovered per bowhunter than with rifles per rifle hunter. Bowhunting is more difficult.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT SHOT PLACEMENT.

Loosing the deer i have has only made me a better hunter and shooter...i have learned from my mistakes and learned what shots to not take, and what things to pay more attention to whats going on.

Probably a lesson a lot of hunters don't learn. Good point.

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Originally Posted By: coleridge I can guarentee you it's MUCH more leathal than any archery equipment ever made.

Couldn't disagree more...there is no way you can even begin to say that archery equipment is less/more lethel then a rifle...I have seen pletny of deer shot with an arrow make it less then 20 yds...or LESS. Again, SHOT PLACEMENT!!!

Sorry for the off topic action there!

Here is where the thread got sidetracked.

Around me there are alot more gun hunters then bow hunters. Our shotgun season is a total of i believe 9 days. And muzzle loader is 4 i believe. During those days the ammoutn what i call "non-hunters" in the woods is ridiculous. These are the guys that have zero idea what they are doing, and shoot at anything that moves, regardless of size or where it is. The tresspass, poach, and wound a TON of game. Its sickening, they have zero respect for hunting or the animals. Not my choice of people. Now, are there guys that are the same way in bow hunting....oh gosh yes! They pick thewir bow up a week before season, shoot a handfull of arrows, and don't pick it back up untill they need to draw on animal, or the next seasobn comes. They take unethical shots, and wound countless animals. I cannot stand someone that doesn't have enough respect for an animal to do their part and practice.

And Gerbs, i know certain shots when i see them...some are not fatal. However i still give it 200% to try and recover the animal, no matter what.

Unless you get that deer on camera again after sizzling an arrow just under it's spine, it's hard to say that it's a nonlethal wound. That's probably what a lot of your neighbors are saying too after they wound one and can't recover it. I guess my point is that you don't know if it's lethal or not based on not finding it.

OK, we can agree to disagree...but when i find a deer with a giant slug hole through its guts...and blood there...shows me that they pushed the deer and probably didn;t look real hard to find it. Again this is my choice and decision. Disagree if you choose.

I'd hate 2 stir this back up but i have 2 Questions

1# why is this in small game?

2# can anyone here honestly say they have shot a whitetail DRT with a bow???

Hm...I had to think about this one for a bit...I honestly can say i dont think i have ever had one "drt", i have dropped them before with a bad shot and follow up quickly ( done that with gun though too). I have however shot one before that didn't know it was shot. basically just fell over after couple seconds.

Out of my own curriousity though, what does it take with a gun (size wise) to make a deer drt? Will a 22-250 do it? of course shot placement again reigns king. But i have hit them with 12 ga sabots and 50 cal bullets right through the pump house and had them run off...not very far though...lol. But i have never flat out dropped a deer with a shotgun (can't use rifles here).

I have dropped a coyote in its tracks with a bow however. I had that one on video for long time, not sure where it is.

Last edited:
My first buck kill dropped right in his tracks. I missed so bad that I hit him right in the spine and dropped him! That's about it though. Even perfect shots through the boiler room tend to run on me. I suppose anywhere from 30 yards to 100 yards. Obviously a great spraying blood trail and time is what helps the recovery process.

I have a lot with the rifle.

Originally Posted By: RustHunter
1# why is this in small game?

Maybe the OP was only going to shoot yearlings with the 22-250...

Originally Posted By: RustHunter2# can anyone here honestly say they have shot a whitetail DRT with a bow???
With the way a bow kills I jsut don't see it... I have shot a few in the spine & they callapse right there but they are far from dead.

I shot a doe in the head with a bow one evening & at first I thought it was lights out. She hit the ground no kincking, nothing (which was surpising because they kick like chickens when you shoot them in the head with a rifle). After a few minutes of nothing, she started pushing with her legs (almost like stretching laying down). --- Fast forward through a series of events most people wouldn't believe & she was dead ~ 30 yards from the original shot with 2 wholes from pair of 100 gr slick tricks & a big gash in here side from my knife (the secondary wound). I now carry a mental note written from that experience...

Originally Posted By: Smokin250Out of my own curriousity though, what does it take with a gun (size wise) to make a deer drt? Will a 22-250 do it? of course shot placement again reigns king.

A lot of people confuse DRT (dead right there). Some people think if you can see it, it's dead right there (were they are pointing). To "drop" a deer on the spot & it not flinch kick, spin yatayata you need to shock the CNS (central nevous system). It really doesn't kill the deer (per say) but in turn paralizes the animal from moving & it dies from the other injurys just as it would quickly if it's feet were under it. Usually speed helps with this & YES A 22-250 WILL/can CAUSE A DEER TO BE DRT. Get a centerfire rifle whit a bulelt that will penetrate, shoot high shoulder (were the shoulderblades, spine & top of lungs intersect) & you will witness DRT. Still the best shot with small rifle (& nearly any bullet) is right behind the shoulder (same way you would with a bow). Deer runs 30-70 yards & you go get it.

Thats kind of what i was thinking, but have nebver first hand seen a deer shot with rifle. I know i have seen deer take a shot from a 12 gauge slug like a champ. Deer blow my mind sometimes with what they can take. I shot a yearling one time with a 50 cal muzzle loader, she had been hit by car and left shoulder was broke (bad), i shot her quartered away a fuzz right behind front shoulder and exited out opposite shoulder...lets just say...she in "theory" should not have been able to make it 20 yds, however she did.

Back