Dang, 5 204's and I find out they don't work! And I use 32grn. Vmax!! Oh the pain I'm feeling now!!
frown.gif
frown.gif

The 204 sucks on coyotes u guys that use it are unethical hunters for using it!!! Horse crap. I love the 204 I have 3 of them now two ar's and one bolt gun. I've had good luck with bergers 35&40 32 Calhoon hp nosler ballistics tips all killed coyotes deader than dead. I'd have no problems shooting my 204's in any tournament out there and I have used it in tournaments and have won my fair share of tournaments. I will use my 204 on stands that I might have multiples coming or if I know my shots will be under 300yds I will carry my 243 or 6x47 on stands that will require longer than normal shots or if I spot a coyote sleeping and sneak up on him and my shot may be far or if the wind is honking. I have several a rifles for short to mid range or multiples I have my big 6's for he long windy shots. I choose my rifle for the scenario that may play out on the stand I'm on and I carry it accordingly. Your ignorant if you think the 204 isnt a good predator or your inexperienced. The only down fall to the 204 is they don't have a great bullet selection but why would you need a different bullet than a 35gr it is probably the best predator hunting fur saving bullet ever made.

Originally Posted By: catwhackerDang, 5 204's and I find out they don't work! And I use 32grn. Vmax!! Oh the pain I'm feeling now!!
frown.gif
frown.gif

Time to sell 'em all!
tt2.gif

Originally Posted By: SShooterZOriginally Posted By: catwhackerDang, 5 204's and I find out they don't work! And I use 32grn. Vmax!! Oh the pain I'm feeling now!!
frown.gif
frown.gif

Time to sell 'em all!
tt2.gif

probably have to give them away. can i be first on the list?

Originally Posted By: SlickerThanSnotOriginally Posted By: SShooterZOriginally Posted By: catwhackerDang, 5 204's and I find out they don't work! And I use 32grn. Vmax!! Oh the pain I'm feeling now!!
frown.gif
frown.gif

Time to sell 'em all!
tt2.gif

probably have to give them away. can i be first on the list?

Should be able to buy them for scrap price!! .02 on the $

I have seen .223 rounds do as much damage if not more than the .20's. A lot of it is indeed shot pavement which I would imagine is possible 50% of the time. Nosler varmageddon 32gr seem to work well all around and on fox with a well placed shot you may not get an exit. I'm looking for something that's even more explosive than those.

Originally Posted By: Tbone-AZOriginally Posted By: mjfritz07Any demos on sewing anywhere?

Here is a video i made a while ago.. I was looking on Youtube for this kind of stuff and couldn't find anything so after talking to a fur buyer and learning what and how he wanted it.. I made this series.
Hope it helps. It's not the be all end all, but think it's good starting point if you don't know what to do after skinning.

I have a 22-250 and 223 and have a buddy that uses a 204 and we both have the same blowout and damage.
I have found with my Vmax and other simular type of bullets, i purposely aim to miss shoulders and bone.

Let me say why, In my opinion.
I don't like shooting them in the neck for a head on shot, if they are facing me, then they are usually still going to come. The goal is to get them in for a shotgun shot, higher % kill, best of all i don't have to walk out to get the Coyote. NO SEWing 99% of the time.
If i do have to use the rifle I hate the head on chest or nick shot.(I will take it if i need to) the chest shot is a high percentage of almost ripping a leg off or a big hole and that isn't the place for a hole when you are skinning. It's a pain and a mess. If they are sitting and facing, I aim a little lower.

I DON'T SHOOT THEM IN THE FACE.. IF you are skinning, that makes a mess and takes a lot more time to skin out. You almost have to scrape what's left of the scalp off the hide, and sewing holes there are hard to hide.

I prefer the broadside shot and a little further back than behind the front shoulder.. Because as the Vmax goes in, it bursts and still takes out the heart and lungs and just about everything, they drop DRT 99% and it's a tiny hole NO SEWING.
I had to stop trying to take Deer hunting shots and take advantage of the rounds i was using. If you don't hit bone it's almost never a blow out. I am not eating it, so i don't care if the round blows out the diaphragm. or guts in the process. I want it to Drop DRT, because tracking is wasting time.
I also suggest carrying a 22lr pistol. On the occasional one that isn't dead when you get there, i line up the pistol and some shoot for the heart, but i aim one in the ear. They are dead right then, and NO SEWING. I would prefer the ear shot if it was me.
yes i hate sewing. I have enough out of the 20-30 a year that i sell that will require sewing, that i try to minimize it.

I use the same method for skinning as this guy. (not nearly as fast) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37cRZqq_j30&list=UUPuxmoN5GsVG84BhIO3ScSA

Awesome info. I appreciate it. I had a nasty splash last season. Pelvis shot on a red. It ran by us and I got him to stop at 100 yards. Problem was he craned his neck around to look back. I though he turned all the way around. I aimed for his chest which turned out to be his pelvis. DRT but what a mess. I do carry my MKIII pistol and I agree it makes it much easier and cleaner when a put down shot may be needed.

I love the 204 with 40gr Bergers or 39gr Calhoon bullets, I have alot of DRT kills with these bullets. Cant convince me they dont work, I have used it alot, had troubles with the Vmax bullets when the caliber first came out but switched to the hollow points and have had great luck out to 350yds and closer. My favorite calling caliber. I have all the 22 and 243 calibers too but give me my 204 on a calling day.

We see many more fox than coyotes out east so I kind of need an in between caliber. That's why I chose the 204. For tournaments I will also take my 223 as I'm not concerned about pelt damage as much. Hopefully I get a good load for this season. I kind of opened Pandora's box with this thread I see. Lol.

I don't normaly hunt coyotes with these bullets but thought I would give them a try. Shot was a little in front of the shoulder,upper third of body. I think it dropped but it was dark. Small hole in and no exit. The shot was about 90 steps.

My load right now is 25 gr RL10 with a 39 gr bking. But I have 4 boxes of 35 gr bergers. I don't know what powder to try my gun is a TC venture 1@10 . I have varget benchmark tac h332 RL 10 15 imr 4895 . To try what is the best one for the 35 gr HP. Thanks

Back