204 yah or nay?

baldie:

First: Thanks for coming to old Silverfox’s defense for the data he has published in the past year. I have felt like the Lone Ranger this past couple of days with some of the gunslingers who have chosen to question what he has provided.

I thought he might come back out of hibernation, but maybe he’s gathering nuts for the cold winter in North Dakota – or playing golf.

Second – Very nice picture and good job on the fox. It looks like the fox in England don’t have any problems, at least that they can talk about, concerning Silverfox’s data.

roper:

You haven’t offended me. It’s not my data you have chosen to question. If you have any doubts about what Silverfox has been gracious enough to provide for everyone’s use, how his chronograph is set up, or how his ballistic program compares versus real chrony data, you need to take that up with him personally. However, not on an open forum, IMHO, and not with me. That’s all I’ve been saying all weekend.

I haven’t really paid a whole lot of serious attention to the data he got versus world opinion simply because folks like baldie have achieved similar results with factory bullets using his data, and no one has really jumped up until now and questioned it. Besides, it’s his data, and thus, I have absolutely no reason to want to doubt him.

About 95% of what I shoot in 20 caliber is my own hand swaged 20 caliber bullets. As a result, the only data I really worry about is what I get with my own bullets. Because of that, I don’t publish it on the internet since no one has access to a 36 grain open tip HP, a 38 grain HP, or a 41.5 grain lead tipped bullet off the shelf. I will say this, however, that data I have collected with my hand swaged bullets looks very comparable to what Silverfox has achieved with factory bullets of similar but different weights and shapes from mine.

As to Berger bullets: Its pretty obvious that a 40 grain Berger with a BC of .239 will in no way perform down range like a 39 grain Sierra with a BC of .283 or a 40 grain Hornady with a BC of .275. However, many folks report that the Bergers, especially the 35 grain bullets, are very good coyote killers in spite of the lower BC’s.

And for the record, I never said there’s any advantage in shooting a heavy, low BC (like a Berger) bullet in a 20 caliber versus using a 22 caliber. What I said was the 20 caliber is at its best with heavier (39-40 grain), high BC bullets that perform better (trajectory and windage) than normal weight (55 grain), lesser BC, 22 caliber bullets do down range. Ballistics data will confirm that – all you have to do is plug in muzzle velocities and BC’s and watch the trajectory and windage data appear. But again, I own some of both calibers, so having to choose between “one or the other” is not a concern of mine.

If someone wants to shoot field mice with a 50 BMG, that’s fine with me. I just don’t care for other folks chewing up someone’s good data to justify what they do.

- BCB

bill1227 says - "I only want one center fire for all varmints and predators the 22-250 fills the role best for what I do and I like to shoot long distance as far as varmint class rifles best."

Now what kinda fun is that. I take three rifles with me every time I go out. Sometimes more !! In fact I couldn't own too many...........

SKB,

I am not shooting Prairie Dog's where you set up a bench and bring different rifles because of all the shooting. Like many on here I hunt woodchucks which are 8 - 14 pounds. A evening walk through the hay field here in farm country(where I live), with 1 - 5 shots the norm, rifle on shoulder and minimal gear.......walking & stalking. I have owned many guns,rifles,flyrods,spin rods,traps,gear,etc. how many rifles do you need to hunt woodchucks & coyotes ?. I grew up with a father, a war vet., who hunted his whole life with one rifle and one shotgun and looked like they had been hunted . (along with 2 "fish'in poles") I currently have 9 flyrods and a 12' x 24' room stuffed with hunting and fishing gear of which I tend to grab my favorites and not use the other 75%. So you see where my current thoughts are coming from.

You know what, I made a mistake. Looking back through my posts for a 40 something year old man they look childish and I apologize to the board in particular Bayou Boy and Silver Fox. My opinions stand as everyone has a right to theirs. You get set in your ways. I shot rifle competitively for 6 years. I also have not had the results some have in hunting situations using lighter grains and shot placement. As we get older it's harder to change but, I want to consolidate my stuff. But I was wrong in my approach and sarcastic replies and apologize.
Enjoying the outdoors is what it's about.

Sincerely,
Bill

I just purchaced a .204 and a 22-250 within the last 2 months. I was in Afghanistan when I bought the .204 and thought I had screwed up after reading some posts, so I was scared to come home and see what it would actually do. Love them both and wouldn't think twice about taking either to the field. You will always have the die-hard 250 fans, as well as other calibers, that feel threatend by anything new that comes along and will defend it by slaming it's competition. For what the.204 is, it keeps up with the 250 pretty good. Like AJ said, it doesn't take a genius to figure out that a heavier bullet will have more energy. To compare a 32gr bullet to a 55 or 60gr bullet is just non-sense . But hey, what ever it takes I guess. It's just too bad that some people are too close minded to try new things.

"You know what, I made a mistake. Looking back through my posts for a 40 something year old man they look childish and I apologize to the board in particular Bayou Boy and Silver Fox."

You have earned my respect Bill. Todd

WOW!!!! I go away for 3 days and a war has been going on. In my initial post I wrote

Quote:
I'm going to take one run at this topic and then I'm going to be quiet on the subject for a while.

Well, I have been out of town for 3 days and that kept me quiet for a while. Now, for my detractors:

This is for roper, bill1227, and others who have either called me a liar or insinuated that I have lied and inflated some of the statistics I am posting.

I run my loads over a chronograph, even my beginning loads. Loads that seem to be working pretty good may be run over my chronograph half a dozen times or more. Then I plug the BC of the bullet, the weight of the bullet, and the velocity I got from my chronograph (usually at 12 feet from the muzzle), along with other pertinent data required by the program into the JBM Trajectory Caluclation program at the following Web site:

JBM Trajectory Caluclation Page

The numbers I post in my charts are generated by this program as far as drop, wind deflection, and ft/lbs of energy, etc.

For those of you who took the time to go to various Web sites a look up their load data for the .204 Ruger, these are sites that I go to for getting an idea of where to start my loads so I don't blow myself up. However, I have found that the velocities shown in the reloading charts of Sierra, Hodgdon, Hornday, IMR, whomever, are often quite different than the actual velocities I get when I run MY loads through MY rifle over MY chronograph. Sometimes the reloading data from the companies is fairly close to what I get, but more often than not I am getting much higher velocities with the loads they list. So while the data these companies post may not be "wrong" it certainly doesn't agree with the velocities I have recorded in my testing.

I wonder how many of you folks who have judged me to be a liar or an "inflater of velocities" have actually run the loads over a chronograph that I wrote about shooting in my .204 Ruger??? I cannot speak for the powder or bullet companies and I don't know if they just extrapolate their data and place it in the charts or if they actually shoot all of those loads before they publish their data. One thing I will guarantee all of you is that anytime I publish a velocity for a load for the .204 Ruger, it is a load that I have personally run over my chronograph

As for the 22-250 load data I wrote about, I got that from the source/sources I list in my charts and I believe that was Hodgdon's data as far as muzzle velocity goes. I believe the BC numbers came from Sierra's Web site or a chart I printed off the Internet that lists the BCs for various caliber and weights of bullets and then I plugged that into the JBM Trajectory Calculator Page at the Web site listed above.

I'm not going to get into a pi$$ing contest over which caliber is better--the .204 Ruger, the 22-250, the .223, the .17 Remington ad infinitim. I just happen to shoot the .204 Ruger, the 22-250, the .17 Remington, the .243, the .270, the 30-06 and some 22 rimfire stuff and right now, I will take my .204 Ruger with my 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing load as my favorite. I still shoot the 22-250, .17 Remington and .243 when I shoot prairie dogs, but the .204 Ruger seems to be the favorite followed closely by the .17 Remington and then the 22-250.

So, I'll be lurking and looking in on this thread once in awhile, but since I don't have any credibility with several of you folks, there's really no sense in posting any more. Adios.

BCB & Silverfox-- Keep up the good work. I know I appreciate what you've done with the 204. As far as coming to anyones defense here. You guys don't need any help. I've had to listen to people tell me the same things when I got my 204. I'm done talking to the 22-250 enthusiasts that are so negative towards this round because in the beginning somebody else made the comparison between the two. Sure would be nice to hear from Todd Kindler on one of these discussions. Good Job to everyone supporting the 204Ruger.

Silverfox, I'm sorry that you took it that I was calling you a liar wasn't what I was after. After my first post my questions where about published loading data for the 204 ruger using 39/40gr bullets I did use your data trying to find out about what the real world velocity was and too date no one has said one way or another if the reloading data is wrong or right other that worrying about being called a liar or defending shooting a 204 Ruger. I see 3900fps then you did over 3800fps then I pulled up 204ruger.com and looked at the data and it was afew at 3700fps most where at 3600fps. There is a spread of almost 300fps.
I looked at doing a 20/222mag years ago when it was a wildcat and bullets were made by Walker and afew others back then with a 45 gr/50gr bullets velocity was average 3500fps top was 3600fps plus.
Anyway I was down the gunsmiths checking on a pair of 300mags that are being finished and tossing around my next project a 20 cal he didn't jump up and down so mentioned Bergers 37gr 17caL bullet has a BC of .393 and that got him going so think may have a new after the first of the year Just need to figure on a good case for those long bullets.
It's funny but when I was looking at the wildcat 20/222mag I opt and did a 14 Walker.
I will only say this if the reloading data is wrong with the 39/40gr bullet sure be nice to know.

silverfox, i read all your posts and bought a cooper 204 because of your input and that of others. my small post in this was not technical but tried to discourage using barrel burner as a reason not to shoot a 204. i grew up with the 22-250 but now the 204 rides with me in the truck all woodchuck season. i had posted a while back about me hunting in malta,montana this coming season and passing thru williston on my way home and a little hunt. i hope this is still on. bob kudile

When I was a kid I had a trap line that I worked hard to earn money. I used leg trap set's for Raccoon and Fox. I would check my traps before school each morning so not to loose a coon or fox from it chewing it's leg off during the night. Still many had partially chewed the leg off by the time I arrived at dawn. From there to save the pelt I used a home made noose on a pole that I would slip over and twist to strangle or a lead filled billy club used (the most actually)and then happily tossed the furbearer into my woven pack with a smile . This was done to "save the pelt" and bring the highest dollar which back then was $40.00 - $50.00 for a nice Red Fox and $20.00-$25.00 for a Raccoon with nice pelts and no damage.

My neighbor a "full time truck farmer" and old timer still dress's a raised pig by slitting it's throat and hanging it from a tree to bleed out. Which my family can see the silhouette of hanging from a tree up the road, before the holidays.

Some yuppie's who moved out here and live in a home a mile or so up the road have noticed this and are disgusted. They actually stopped by my house one day and tried to get me to team up and put a stop to this. I let them (the yuppie tree huggers) know that "Tony" is the best neighbor (really is) I have ever had, his grandchildren play with my children, he gives my kids hay rides on the tractor, he is there if I need a hand and vice versus but does not bother me for anything else, and minds his own business........... "unlike yourselves", and what he is doing is legal.

Obviously not quick kill situation's that in comparison to any rifle mentioned on here would produce. There are enough other people out there trying to ban hunting all together that I have decided it is foolish for me to argue with fellow sportsman about which rifle has more killing power at long distance. BTW my best friend and hunting/fishing pal has a .204 and it has killed every woodchuck I have watched shot with it............bam dead.

I have all ready appoligized to some. This will be my last post on this thread. I will save my energy for the anti-gun, anti-fishing crowd.

PS- I also tie fly's and flyfish avidly. I prefer to tie with natural materials probably because of my traping day's. The tree huggers would like to stop the use of this also.
[image]
IMG_0414.jpg
[/image]
[image]
IMG_0641.jpg
[/image]

Enjoy the outdoors,
Bill

Last edited:
roper-- No harm done. I guess that if you don't do some testing one your own over a chronograph, then you are pretty much stuck with looking at the published load data of the powder/bullet companies OR getting information from private shooters who have run loads over a chronograph in their rifle. Even then, though, the velocities that those shooters get from their rifles may be quite different from yours.

I wish more shooters would purchase a chronograph and use it in their load testing. Personally, I think it is an invaluable aide just from the standpoint of knowing how fast your bullet is moving and being able to produce trajectory charts and wind deflection tables for your own personal use. Then too, seeing where the spikes and plateaus are with various loads is helpful and the ES and SD numbers are great to see as well, however, actual 200 and 300 yard (and maybe longer) shots cannot be replaced by looking at ES and SD numbers. It's the holes in the paper that give you the true accuracy reading on your hand rolled ammo.

My final load for the Sierra 39 gr. BlitzKing is a load of 24.8 gr. of Reloder 10X. Sierra lists the velocity with 25.1 gr. of Rel 10X at 3,700 fps. I have run my load of 24.8 gr. of Rel 10X over my chronograph with dozens and dozens of shells and my muzzle velocity with the 24.8 gr. load is about 3,873 fps. My tests with 25.0 gr. gave me an average velocity of 3,910 fps--again, compare that to the 3,700 fps listed by Sierra for 25.1 gr. of Rel 10X.

When I look at those neat little columns in the load data tables from the powder/bullet companies I really wonder how they managed to get those loads to fit in the neat little velocity jumps of exactly 100 fps or sometimes 50 fps between each load. Have you ever been able to do that??? I sure haven't and that leads me to believe that it is possible that these load data tables are run on some type of ballistics program that extrapolates the data for them from just a few test loads that they fired.

bob kudile--As long as I am around Williston when you are passing through, then we are still on. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Silverfox, I'm going out to wyoming and colorado in a couple weeks to hunt p-dogs and yotes. do you think the 39 gr blitzkings would be a good choice to load for both animals in the .204

Silverfox, Since I don't have a 204 hard to chronograph. Of factory ammo that I've checked it's always been slower. I find it interesting that you can go that much over published reloading data. We have acouple guys in our gun club with factory 204 rugers and the groups with factory ammo isn't all that great one of them looks pretty good with reloads. I guess best thing for me to do is buy one and a box of factory 32gr and 40gr then chronograph and find out for myself. Good excuse to get another rifle. Well good luck

longshot29-- The 39 gr. Sierra BlitzKing is a superb bullet for short and L-O-O-O-O-O-N-G-range prairie doggin'. I have used the 39 gr. Sierra on 3 prairie dog shoots this summer and it was a fantastic performer even in quite windy conditions. Howler was with me on one of those PD shoots near Jordan, MT when I made a 350 yard shot on a PD and put massive hurt on another PD at about the 390 yard range (all lasered distances with my Leica 1200 Laser Rangefinder). The 390 yard PD did manage to drag himself back into his hole. We had a huge dropoff between his hole and where we were shooting from so we didn't go down and inspect, but I think he is probably in prairie dog heaven /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif

I am very seriously considering going strictly with the 39 gr. Sierra for PD shooting in my .204 Ruger, but I have nearly 2,000 of the 32 gr. Sierra BlitzKings (very accurate, but tend to deflect a bit in a stiff wind), and about 600 of the 32 gr. Hornady V-Max bullets I need to either sell or shoot. Maybe I'll build a .204 caliber rifle out of my recently purchased .222 Remington 700 ADL /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-006.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif

As to the effectiveness of the 39 gr. BlitzKing on coyotes, I cannot tell you one way or the other. I have not shot anything larger than a prairie dog with them. I am just guessing, but I think they should do fine on coyotes for killing power even out to the 500 yard mark unless you have extremely large coyotes (over 40 pounds). My ballistics program shows that my particular load still has 416.9 ft-lbs of energy at the 500 yard mark. The smaller amount of wind deflection and slightly flatter trajectory of this 39 gr. projectile makes it a bit easier to hit your intended quarry even at the longer distances than with some of the 40 gr., 50 gr., and 55 gr. .224 caliber bullets that do not have the nice high BC that the 39 gr. Sierra has (BC = .283). However, the 39 gr. BlitzKing may not be as fur friendly as the 35 gr. Berger FB HP has proven to such coyote hunters as SlyDog (Rick Gipson)who takes about 100 coyotes a season with his 20 Tactical using that bullet. If all you want is "dead" coyotes and don't care about fur condition, I'd recommend that you try the 35 gr. Berger.

My current load for the 39 gr. Sierra give me approximately 3,873 fps at the muzzle. The centerline of my scope is a smidgen over 1.6" above the center of the bore and I set my scope so it hits dead on at 235 yards with this bullet. This zero puts my POI 1.1" high at 100 yards, 0.9" high at 200 yards, -0.5" low at 250 yards, -2.9" at 300 yards, -11.2" at 400 yards, and -25.1" at 500 yards. Wind deflection numbers generated by the JBM Trajectory Program I use show the following numbers for the yardages listed above: 100 yds. 0.8, 200 yds 3.1", 250 yds. 5.0", 300 yds 7.4", 400 yds. 13.9" and 500 yds. 22.9" in a 10 mph wind that is blowing 90º to the direction of your bullet path.

If I get the chance, I may try to call in a coyote or two before fur season just to see what the 39 gr. Sierra does to the hide. There are numerous .204 caliber shooters who use nothing but the 32 gr. V-Max or 40 gr. V-Max on coyotes and some report lots of fur damage and others report they experience little or no fur damage. I guess, just like any other bullet, "WHERE" you hit them has a lot to do with the amount of fur damage that takes place. I had some bullet exits on the coyotes I shot last winter with these bullets, but the amount of fur damage was very minimal.

Silverfox, would a .222 magazine handle .204 length cartridges? I know the bolt face is the same, but are the overall cartridge lengths compatible? I have an older .222 Savage with very little money invested in it, makes an interesting thought......

Not that the point hasn't already been made. But, I have to support Silverfox on the difference between HIS numbers and factory published numbers. I have shot many different calibers through a chronograph and have never put up the same numbers published! I am not a reloader. I only shoot factory ammo, because it gets the job done for me. However, If a fctory load is published at 2960ft/sec at the muzzle will my gun shoot those numbers no. I have always tended to shoot higher velocities than what the manufaturer publishes. Not always higher but usually. My .204 shooting factory 40's has a velocity on a chronograph of 3950 on average. Different lots of ammo seem to fluctuate. I have shot some 40's that fly right at 4000ft/sec. To end my post and any more post on this thread, COULD ALL YOU 250 GUYS GIVE IT UP!!!!. Please use a ballistics calculator and compare a 40gr 250 with a 40gr .204 and see the outcome. Alot of people on this forum are so full of [beeep] it is unbelievable! It is very sad that the hunting and shooting community has come to this low level. It seems rather odd to me that it is always 250 guys arguing that their 250 is the best. I am sure that most of you who fit into this mold are very narrow minded and can't listen to reason or facts. I think a 250 is a good cartridge that is fast and very accurate. However, there are cartridges out there that can outperform the 250. Closed mindedness is a terrible disease that can lead to pissing people off!! Education is the best policy.

I hit a confirmed (leica 900 rangefinder) Praire Dog at 580 yards in wyoming with my savage 12vlp in 204 and it droped it like a sack of potatoes, i love the 39gr blitzkings

trevor

Todd M.-- I can only speak to the length of the magazine in my Remington 700 ADL in .222 for that caliber. If I seat my bullets so the OAL is at 2.200" the cartridge just barely squeezes into the magazine, so if I were to use the magazine in that rifle, I think I'd seat the bullets so the OAL was somewhere around 2.170" or so.

For my Savage 12VLP in .204 Ruger, I seat my 39 gr. Sierras so the OAL is 2.3895" and that fits the magazine just fine. If I converted my .222 to a .204, I'd either have to modify my magazine or get my gunsmith to chamber the new barrel so it would let me reach the lands with a shorter OAL. I am thinking that you will find the magazine lengths will vary a bit from rifle brand and make, so if your older .222 Savage has a magazine that will accept a cartridge in the 2.390" range, I think you can work with the .204 Ruger. Keep in mind now, that if you have it rebarreled you can have your gunsmith cut your new chamber to your specs and if you have a short throat you can still get by with a shorter OAL and yet have the bullets close to the lands. Talk to your gunsmith about what bullets you will use and I'm sure he'll work with you on the setup you want.

Silverfox, On your Rem ADL 222 the spacer may have to be shorten at the top alittle bit to give you more OAL for the 204. My ADL 222remmag will take up to 2.340 OAL factory ammo AOL is 2.280. Just for the record I don't think anyone is really bashing the 204 other than question the data like me and most understand a bullets BC. When question are asked like this vs than set the tone. When someone spend hard earned money for something then they are told I have a better what ever and now what you have is no good. Jack Roberts had it right the 204 is as good as the 22-250 with acouple bullets but not on the heavy ones and that is how things should be looked at. I like my 22-250AI 1/12 twist barrel and other one with a 1/14 twist barrel if I owned a 204 I'd like that rilfe too and as of yet I have seen a barrel marked 204ruger/22-250. Just my .02

I was one of the first to load the 39gr. Sierra's when they came out...Purchasing my .204 as a coyote popper, I never shot the 32grainers...I started off with 40gr. V-Max's and Rem. 40gr. Accu-tips...My most accurate load with the 39gr. Sierra is with 26.2gr. Hodgdon BL-C(2). I have no chronograph, but I believe according to data online, it's around 3675fps. Sierra has always been such an accurate bullet for me as I have loaded at least 6 different calibers, from varmint guns to deer cartridges.

BL-C(2) and Silverfox's RE 10X have approximately the same burn rate if you look at charts of slowest-to-fastest burn rates...I believe this is one reason that he and I have experienced the same type of accuracy...

My groundhog harvest to date totals 30! And I have killed one coyote, had a complete pass thru at 180yds., and he dropped in his tracks...The 39gr. Blitzking has proved to me it's worth spending money on, and by the way, so is a .204Ruger!!! gobblr addict

Huntingpics006.jpg

miscellaneousdeer016.jpg

miscellaneousdeer017.jpg

Back