2 out of 3 ain't bad, except when #3 was SOLID BLACK!!!

I love it Kiz! Very entertaining.

That Wile is a heck of a character.
lol.gif

I agree on getting my vote!

Tony

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGThe black stealth coyotes have a secret coating that absorbs radar and lasers, that's why you couldn't range him.

Lol. In all seriousness, though, I do believe a black pelt confers a survival advantage. One night a couple of years ago I shot a 95% black one (had a little tan on its underside). In the light, all you could see was a pair of eyes floating in the middle of a hole in the darkness. Took me two shots to finally kill it because there was nothing you could see to aim at. Kinda like trying to kill The Predator.

7e0dce711c89.gif

So yeah, being invisible at night + lazer rangefinder proof = stealth coyote

Kizmo , I don't know what you do for money, but your story telling is genius ! Maybe you should be paid for that kind of thought pattern! Good luck on the black one, and By the way , does Wile mind being the smart one in the team? Just asking?

Thanks guys. Sometimes it's hard NOT to shoot Wile E., especially when he gets lazy and doesn't want to work. And no, he doesn't mind being the smart one. If I could just get him to drive, I could have a beer on the way home...

KIZ.... great write up and I sure am looking forward the "black dog down" sequel . You have my vote too, great writing and you sure make us all smile up here..

Well, I got a call from my rancher Saturday afternoon. A worker was burning brush piles near where I had my encounter with Mr. LazyPants. While he stood there, LazyPants and his two new running buddies (both red) walked out. The worker retrieved his gun from the truck and shot all three. My rancher said that LazyPants weighed 50 lbs., and that the other two were also quite large. He expressed his deepest sympathy to me at my loss.
cry.gif
cry.gif
cry.gif
Thus endeth the tale of Mr. LazyPants.

On a brighter note, they have now seen, on multiple occasion, a "big white coyote with pink eyes" on another place I hunt. Hope springs eternal...

Kiz, I'm sure glad you posted the update, 'cause I somehow missed this story the first time around!

Great read, but what are ya waitin' for, go get the albino. Lookin' forward to that story.
wink.gif

Regards,
hm

Thanks y'all.

No, I don't think the guy who shot him has a clue what a trophy he had. I can't even begin to tell you how many times I went after that yote. He was very wide ranging, and spent a lot of time on places I can't hunt (especially Mr. No Hunting-Don't Ask's place). I only ever saw him that one time, though.

After all my efforts, he was killed by a guy who just happened to have a deer rifle in his truck at the right time and place. My rancher was so sorry for me I thought he was going to cry.

BUT, "Mr. Bunny-Eyes" awaits!

That is an awesome story. I think it is very interesting how different places have different genetic propensities. I have never seen, or even heard of, a melanistic or albino coyote around here. Dad killed over 500 coyotes in the last 20 years, called in a lot more than that, and he never saw one. We have killed several coyotes with only 3 legs, there is one out at my BIL's ranch that pulls himself around on his front two legs (haven't been able to catch him yet). I shot one that was wearing a home-made snare around his neck like a collar. I've seen lots of strange things with coyotes. Never the odd color phases though. I think Mr. Ranch Hand has no clue the rarity of what he killed. Such is life though.

Black ones aren't terribly rare around here. At one time, melanism was considered to be proof of red wolf DNA in the mix (not uncommon in the south), but now there's enough domestic dog in our yotes that's no longer necessarily the case. I shot a black one while spring turkey hunting about 15 years ago, but it had the mange, and I've killed a 95% black one since then. Also seen several others. However, I've never heard of a true albino, which Mr. Bunny-Eyes apparently is.

Never killed a 3 legged one or one with a snare, but I've killed a couple with tracking collars. I'm sure the biologists down the road hate my guts.

I will have to look back in Dad's logbook, but I know he killed at least 2 that had three legs, maybe 3 of them. One of them he suspected was actually a result of the rancher he hunted on. The rancher had made a bad shot on one and then several months later Dad called the three-legged one in and killed it in about the same spot. The wound where the leg was lost was nearly completely healed. I killed the one with the snare, that was about 15 years ago. You could tell he had chewed through the wire, and had been wearing it for quite some time. It was a home-made deal that some folks around here did back then. You took a washer, bent it, and drilled two holes in the edge of it make a loop in the wire. When the wire was tightened, it would lock. I still have it hanging in my shop, I could post a pic if anyone was interested.

To be honest, I have never seen a true albino anything in the wild around here. I have at least heard of an albino deer not too far from here. Seems like I heard about someone killing an albino quail, but not sure if I am remembering that right or not.

As far as the tracking collars go, at least you are providing them mortality data!

Originally Posted By: BrownieIf live to see a picture of the snare

I'll see if I can get one up later today.

I would have waited for the black yote I think. Where can I get one of those wile e. Decoys at? Do they come with a carry strap? I've bought a couple of yote decoys but that's the realist looking one I've ever seen.

Back