******** #186 lbs ******** Story Added

Awesome story! Sometimes we forget that these boogers can get you when ya least expect it. Glad to hear all ended well!

Congratulations on a fine trophy!

Originally Posted By: Jeff Mock

Congratulations on a fine trophy!

It is sure going to be! I think I picked out my taxidermist today. So sometime in the next year or so I will have a trophy to show off. Until then, my trophy is this sticker that AZGFD gave me when I checked it in this morning. If they had a T-shirt I'd buy a dozen of them.

trophy-1024x577.jpg

It is so nice to finally fill a Lion tag, I thought this one was going to end up on the stack of tags from the last few years.

Thank you everyone for all the kind words and congratulations.

Last edited:
That is one huge cat and a heck of a way to shoot it! Good job! I'm glad you turned around when you did. Another second may have been too late.
w00t.gif

That was an amazing story and a huge cat nice job. Newbie question now I have wondered what would happen should something like this take place I know even without a tag you can shoot to defend yourself but what happens if you don't have a tag does Fish and Game take it away ?

Originally Posted By: SedlakNewbie question now I have wondered what would happen should something like this take place I know even without a tag you can shoot to defend yourself but what happens if you don't have a tag does Fish and Game take it away ?

I can only speak to my understanding of the regulations in Arizona. AZ tags are $14 I buy next years tag for Christmas every year, it's a no brainer. However, if you shoot in self defense without a tag don't load the animal up, don't even touch it. Get game and fish out there asap and be happy to be alive. In Arizona they will take the carcass as a part of the investigation and will hold it to at least the end of the hunting season. At the end of the season you can pick up the carcass.

Arizona state law (A.R.S. 17-302)and a corresponding Game and Fish regulation (R12-4-305(H).

I read up on all the regulations, obsessively. I keep a copy of the regulations in my truck, my backpack, on my desk, and probably most importantly on the back of my toilet.

I also wont be going out again until I have a new tag, which is going to limit my solo hunting to areas with a multiple bag limit.

Thank you everyone for the HOM nomination. Everything has been such a blur since taking this lion, I never even considered HOM when I posted this.

I always love reading all your stories and its really the icing on the cake to receive this response from a great group of people.

Congratulations on the awesome trophy. I hunt a lot of cat country but have never called one in that I know of. Always cutting there tracks though and the guys with dogs get a lot of them.

Originally Posted By: Pack_WolfWhat shot were you using? Bird shot at 20 feet would have stopped him.
Great shooting and story.
Thanks.

#4 buck 27 pellets. I get the Estate Cartridge in the green box at Cabellas. They are like $17 for 25 rounds.

Back