.17 Winchester Super Magnum

Sorry....my mind wasn't working while I was typing...fixed part of the post ..but not all of it.

The $ 28 rounds were .17 Hornet. I have not seen any of the .17 Winchester Super Mags on shelves yet.

...again...good catch ....I goofed. Good to see someone's awake here.

Anyone seen local rounds for sale and not thru a big dealer ?

When the rifles get on the shelf I am going to be Johny on the spot to get one and a few boxes of ammo.
Can't have to many guns.
thumbup.gif

If the rifle is as accurate as my 17 HMR's are it will make a nice P-Dog rifle (not long range)for me.

I'll take my REAL P-Dog rifles when on a dedicated P-Dog trip, but not on a vacation trip.

DAB

I went to the Deer & Turkey Expo in Columbus, Ohio yesterday. I was excited to see the new Savage B-Mag.....Man what a disappointment!
It's a $150 rifle with a $350 price tag.

Originally Posted By: Wallbass45Originally Posted By: ScotIts not my intention to burst anyone's bubble in regard to the 17WSM. I've hunted coyotes for more than 30 years and the 17WSM, IMHO, would be a poor choice for that task. Cheaper shooting doesn't equate with hunting success. I'm not saying someone couldn't kill a coyote with this rimfire with a well placed shot at close range. But coyotes don't always play by our playbook and the temptation to take shots beyond the effective range would most often result in a wounded coyote running off and dying a slow, agonizing death. This rimfire was intended for dispatching pests, small game and plinking and the bullets have thin walls designed to blow up quickly on impact rather than for deep penetration. In conclusion, its a difficult task to turn a rifle cartridge into something it was never designed for.
thumbdown.gif
They are ethical,you just have to be patient and have control and shoot at spots not fill the scope with Fur and Fire!!! I agree. But would you not agree that ability of patience and exact shot placement is not possessed by the majority? I have a CZ 17 Hornady Mag and neither it or the 22 Hornet Ruger No 1 it sits by in my varmint and predator hunting rifle battery is my choice for coyote hunting (and I've been at it for over 30 years). I have many other rifles much better suited to the task from 222 up to and including the 243. If I was limited to only one rifle for coyote hunting it would be the 22-250 hands down. It covers all the bases. I read where a hunter killed at cape buffalo with a 22 Hornet. But it would not be my choice of weapon on the African plains. Common sense would dictate that. Problems arise when a hunter overrates the effectiveness of a given caliber as well as his own abilities with that rifle. Nuff said.

I personally cannot wait to get one. Sounds like a hoot to shoot!

Oh, and as with ANY caliber, you have to know your game, ranges, and shot placement. I am soooo sick and tired of people preaching to others about what is and what is NOT a good coyote round. There are at least 8 coyotes out there that, if they could, would tell you that a .22LR is PLENTY of gun for coyote. They can't though, because I killed them with that pesky .22LR. 100 yard shot? Of course not. 20-25 yards tops.

Originally Posted By: brained

Savage B Mag 17WSM
Photo from Rimfire Central

That's why I got rid of my Savage 17 HMR....and it was ugly!!!

Picked up my B Mag today and first things first Boyds will make a killing selling new stocks. The Original stock is the flimsiest POS ive ever seen on a gun. The bolt takes a little getting ust to as well. Ill let you know how they shoot soon as i can pick up some ammo.

Back