.17 Winchester Super Magnum

Quote:and the 17WSM, IMHO, would be a poor choice for that task.

No doubt you be right brother Scot but I don't see anyone touting this as the latest and greatest coyote slayer. What it will be is the best rimfire option for coyotes if you happen to have it. Primarily a varmint and fox gun in it's intent IMO.

Quote:The introductory price is $17 per 50 to entice everyone to buy one. Then in 2 years it'll be $28 a box.

You may be right but I've never noticed any sort of thing with any other cartridge. Not a problem any how, after all the ammo issues we've had in recent times I'd do mucho ammo testing if I get one and stock up enough ammo to last me years. Problem solved, hope I've learned.

What I don't understand is why Savage or Wichester has not put any thing about this on their web site? Also have not heard what this single shot is to be(Brand)

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: Wallbass45What I don't understand is why Savage or Wichester has not put any thing about this on their web site? Also have not heard what this single shot is to be(Brand)

One of the pres releases showed a Winchester Lo-Wal single shot - that would be an ideal rifle for the cartridge.

Winchester lists it on their webpage.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=002C&mid=524100

. I knew that was there TO MUCH!! But they arnt saying anything more about them.
If I was Savage I would have it on the front page and Winchester also, if we had not seen the Winny in pre pics then we would have no idea where to look.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter

There is a price point where experienced shooters will not go for rimfire ammo - you get close to that and more and more think "reloading". If the 17 WSM is cheap enough, it is attractive, but if the price keeps climbing, then the 17 Hornet starts looking like the better deal, with more power and more bullet choices, and (potentially) more accuracy. And if the experienced shooters don't take to it, then it will not be a financial success.

That price point on rimfire ammo for me was HMR because I can reload my 17AH for very close to the same price using 12 bucks a box average for HMR ammo. I've never purchased one but I have shot them and next to my AH.. let's just say its less than satisfying at best. So this new 17WSM is even more expensive, I can surely reload AH for less and still have a 600fps advantage. Looks like I'll be leaving the gun and new ammo on the shelves for those that really think it deserves a place of fame next to sliced bread.

Originally Posted By: OiltowncallerThe rifle still has a place for certain people furhunter. If you dont want it dont get it.

Ohhh I'm sorry...
I thought this was an internet based discussion forum where opinions were welcomed...

Besides
I never said it didn't have a place.

Last edited:
Yea,,,, I never climbed on the Hummer band wagon either although the cost of ammo had very little to do with it.
The 17 Super Duper has no advantage over the AH either other than being a rimfire for states that require the use of one, but for some reason it intrigues me.
Unfortunatly the guns that will likely be chambered in it don't, cept maybe Winnies Low-Wall, so I'll likely be watching this one from the side lines too.

To the guys b----in about the price of ammo,,,,, get used to it. It's all part of the game and just gonna get worse.

People buy guns all the time that don't make sense economically to shoot. That's not the point. Shooting is fun, and it costs money to shoot. Some guns cost slighty more to shoot than others. Oh well. Most shooters do not want to reload.

The WSM will have serious supply problems and interest will quickly fade. Ammo will be scarce like everything is right now. some buyers will snatch it all up and hoard it, and folks won't but the guns because they can't find ammo. And the guns are just ho-hum.

Here's the scoop as of SHOT Show 2013 regarding this round.

1) Savage will be releasing the B.MAG sometime in the second quarter of 2013, with the MSRP being right around $350, but some folks already have them on order for less than $300.

2) Winchester will have this rifle chambered in their 1885 Low-Wall. MSRP as stated in this thread will be about $1400

3) Volquartsen has stated that they will be producing a rifle for this cartridge. Production won't begin until at least the end of this year.

4) Cooper is looking at the round to see if they will be making a rifle. They did a quick and dirty test to see if their current magazines will work with the 17WSM and their reaction seemed to be on the positive side.

The Savage B.MAG is a good starting rifle for this round. Inexpensive and a few features that mirror their centerfire rifles.

I don't know if this is breaking the rules (if so moderators can feel free to remove it), but here is a write-up I did after shooting the B.MAG at the SHOT Media Day, as well as a link to a gallery of .17WSM images:
New Savage B.MAG Rifle in .17 Winchester Super Magnum

Eric

Last edited:
Seems good if you are required to use rimfire but not if you don't have to.

I think its more of a jackrabbit gun with ability to take a coyote in a pinch.

Originally Posted By: decanuckJust need one available for us lefties now...

See I have a problem here. Sure they can make something for the minority, it will take additional tooling and cost much more per unit since sales will suck and to keep it fair they'll have to raise the cost on all guns. I, as a righty, am dang tired of subsidizing you lefties. Learn to shoot right or stay home!
thumbup.gif

Will be great here in East TN where we have to use rimfire on most public lands,and alot of farmers really don't like the idea of centerfire.They here centerfire and think .300win mag,so it is something I want check out.As far as the .17hmr I love mine!!!!!!

If ammo is selling @ $ 28 a box of 25. They will definitely lose interest at that price.

Still will be a fun ground hog & fox gun. Hopefully I'll get to shoot one somewhere down the road.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesOriginally Posted By: MB If ammo is selling @ $ 28 a box of 25.

Now where did you pull those numbers from?

Yeah, it's listed at Midway for just a bit over half that price - where did you get that number??

Back