.17 Hornet

canislatrans54

Just curious if any of you have gotten around to trying out the new .17 Hornady Hornet yet??
confused.gif

(I seen it mentioned in an ad, in the current Predator Xtreme.)

I always wanted one when it was a wild cat. But now that its gonna be loaded by Hornady I have lost alittle excitement over it. I'd like to try one in a CZ. Hoping I will stumble across one in Gibson's Ace Hardware in Salina one of these days and get to bring it home. I think Savage is the only company that chamber's presently. I have quite a few Savage's and want to try a CZ American next...

Last time I checked the Savage website (about a month ago) the rifles weren't available yet. I seem to remember that they were supposed to come out in November this year. Thompson apparently makes one. Somebody posted a report on two yotes killed by one awhile back.

Originally Posted By: KizmoLast time I checked the Savage website (about a month ago) the rifles weren't available yet. I seem to remember that they were supposed to come out in November this year. Thompson apparently makes one. Somebody posted a report on two yotes killed by one awhile back.

They ARE showing up, but few and far between... I've seen several on GunBroker.com over the past month.

If you want one now, you gotta hunt it down - by December, they'll be like fleas on a dog and everyone will have one.

I'm waiting for the CZ in January or February.

Originally Posted By: KizmoLast time I checked the Savage website (about a month ago) the rifles weren't available yet. I seem to remember that they were supposed to come out in November this year. Thompson apparently makes one. Somebody posted a report on two yotes killed by one awhile back.

I have the 17 Hornet. I had Bullberry make me a Contender barrel.

Originally Posted By: claimbusterBeen shooting and loading the 17AH for several years. Great caliber. I won't change to the Hornady version. No need.

Ditto here: Looking at Hornady's published ballistics, It appears the Ackley version will hold a slight edge. I can get a bit over 3,800 fps with a 20 grn. pill out of mine.

If you want one call your local dicks. I called the largest one 40 minutes away from my house and only 2 in stock. They are out there but few and far between.

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17I wonder if Remington will build one?

Not likely.

They don't have a suitable action to build one on - and they just got kinda burned on the 17 FurBall.

Originally Posted By: Ridgeline17So CZ and Sako more than likely from overseas, and Savage and Ruger from stateside. Hmm.

I would love to have a Ruger #1 in 17 Hornet...

... but a CZ heavy barreled varmint will suffice for a while
smile.gif

Ruger is joining the 17 Hornet group too. They were shooting it on Rugers Inside and Out earlier this week. They just took a 77/22 and rebarreld it with a slight change to the feed ramp. No word on when they will be available. They don't even have it on the web site yet.

http://rugerinsideandout.com/index.html

Watch the video on the link above.

I had thought about doing a Ruger into a 17AH at one time. A five round rotary mag 17AH or 17HH would be a fun little rifle. If they would just lose that 3 position safety and go back to the tang safety
cursing.gif

Back