17 fireball loads

Send him an email. He will get back to you with prices and what he has. Great guy!!

cenagel@bonnersferry.net

Last edited:
[/quote]I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not sure what is considered a high percentage shot. I've hunted Fox and Coyotes with a 17 Rem. since 1971, I have always tried to place the bullet in the chest, behind the lower portion of the shoulder, or in rare occasions in the head. [/quote]

Pretty much the definition of a high percentage shot.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: jdunham I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not sure what is considered a high percentage shot. I've hunted Fox and Coyotes with a 17 Rem. since 1971, I have always tried to place the bullet in the chest, behind the lower portion of the shoulder, or in rare occasions in the head. [/quote]

Pretty much the definition of a high percentage shot. [/quote]
thumbup1.gif

I wasn't sure.

Originally Posted By: HeadHunter204Im probably going to personally call Nagel an place an order for the 25 gr bullets. I'd suggest going that route Kyle. K22 seems to know his stuff an haven't ever known him to steer anyone wrong. Thanks for the help K22. It's appreciated.

You will not regret ordering bullets from Chan, nor will you regret talking to him.

Thanks for the kind words HeadHunter204.

Originally Posted By: kyle`can anyone give me some of there load data for 25g nagels and h322/benchmark powders.

with the small cals, and small cases, you should trust noone's data but your own. With H322, start about 17 gr and work up in 0.2 grain increments, and maybe even 0.1 gr as you get to max. A tenth of a grain is a lot in small cases. You'll probably top out about 18-18.2 gr as max, but YOU will have to determine that max in YOUR rifle.

H322 pushes the 25 gr Bergers fast and accurate in mine, but I was getting sticky bolt lift and extractor marks in my 700 SPS. I switched to 8208 and get similar velocity and accuracy without the pressure.

thanks for the starting point. it seems that h322 is one of the most common powders to use. geuss i'll have to get some of that to start with. i just recieved msg back from chan and found out he has three different bullets in the 25gr. (1) # V-046 (2) # TGV-046 (3) # T-000. so which one do you all recommend? and do these bullet all have the same accuracy potential.

What you are hunting will determine what type of bullet you want. If it's Coyotes, Fox, and Bobcat, then the T-000 is the one you want. If you are still confused, call him and he will help you select the one you need.

H322 is probably a good powder to start with for the 17 Fireball, but your gun will determine that for you. Personally, if I had to go out and buy one I would start with IMR 8208 XBR.

17.8gr of N133 with a 25gr Berger is an absolute tack driver in mine but it shows pressure signs in warmer weather. Just discovered that last spring and need to back it down. Several people I know are a grain or two over that with 25gr bullets and it is fine in their rifles. As Bownut stated start around 17.0 and work up in your rifle. A grain makes a big difference in these small cases.

16.2gr of 4198 and a 25Gr VMax is a solid 1/2" load in my rifle. I would start around 15.8gr to be safe.

Just to give you some idea of where to start.

I have a Rem 700 VSF in 17. Fireball. I bought it primarily for coyote and fox hunting and fun at the range. I broke the barrel in the way I like and it shoots the 30 gr. Berger FB great - 1/2" at 200 yds. Great results with both Benchmark and H322 powders. You may want to consider the effects of wind and distance on the lighter bullets.

Here's another good source of load data Hodgdon Reloading Data Center

Good luck.

PS - as suggested already - these are small powder charges that must be accurately measured to get consistent results. I weigh every charge.

Last edited:
I have always used H4198 but recently tried XTerminator and it also works quite well. With XTerminator I started at 19.0 gr and worked to 19.7gr and it is pushing the 25gr Nagel at 3745fps from a 20 inch barrel.

Originally Posted By: kyle`thanks k22. t-100 will be a good start. how is imr8208xbr as far as being temp sensitive?

kyle, the 8208 is not temperature sensitive.

Originally Posted By: K22You will not regret ordering bullets from Chan, nor will you regret talking to him.

i dealt with chan and we swapped info. 500 T-000 coming my way. never called him just a couple small emails and my mind was made up. easy dealing and would recomend him to anyone. can't seem to locate the 8208 powder as of yet but im workin on it. gotta buy more brass too.

Back