17 fireball loads

kyle`

i just picked up a rem. model 7cdl in 17fireball from a buddy of mine that is still BNIB. i am slowly gathering brass and bullet selection until i get the scope and rings for it. what is a good starting place for powder/bullet selection? i have many different powders on hand and have one box a hornady 20g v-maxes. remington website says it a 1 in 9 barrel. should i try 25 and 30 bergers?

Last edited:
I would work with the 20 and 25gr. bullets more so than the 30gr. What will you be using it for? With Varmints, V-Max bullets are good, but if its going to be Fox/Coyotes, then hollow points are much better. Nagels would be my first choice in a Coyote bullets.

H322, n133, imr 4198 or 8208xbr with 25 great Berger MATCH hop's. I like 8208 or H322 best. Couldn't get the 25 gr. Vmax to shoot in mine.

Originally Posted By: kyle`never heard of nagel? gotta be able to shoot coyotes.

Chan Nagel makes one of the finest 17 caliber bullets you'll ever use. I've used a lot of Bergers in the past, but seems like after Walt Berger sold his bullet business, the quality wasn't as good. Might have just been me, but I haven't been the only one. Besides, Nagel bullets are a bit cheaper than Bergers, better built IMHO, and Chan is a really great guy to talk to. He's been shooting 17's since the late 50's, so he has a bit of experience and knowledge concerning them.
Plastic tipped bullets were not made for Coyotes. They were made to make red mists out of Prairie Dogs and the likes.

Do a search over on Saubier.com, lots of Nagel fans and 17FB info over there and I am sure I have seen pics posted there before. I am getting ready to try some of his myself. N133 with 25gr Bergers and H4198 with 25gr VmaX both shoot well in mine.

Last edited:
i finally found pics of them and they look real nice. i registered over at saubier to get additional info. really want to do WTB add for 25g nagel bullets but i'll have to post a bit here and there.

My Fireball is my hands down favorite chuck rifle,longist kill is 408 yards,I am using 20 Vmaxs and 25 grain Kindler golds.I have killed a few yotes with it,but it is no way my first choice of coyote rifle for eastern dogs. For coyotes i prefer down range energy of the .223 or .22-250.

Originally Posted By: kyle`anyone have any pics of nagels 17cal bullets? i tried looking for pics with no success. where do you buy nagels from?

kyle,

Chan can be emailed at: cenagel@bonnersferry.net

Or you can call him at: 208-267-2860

His address is:
C.E. Nagel
5917 Moyie River Rd.
Bonners Ferry, ID 83805

I will warn you that Chan's computer is on dial-up. He does not have a website, but if you call him he's is one of the nicest and most knowledgeable guy on 17's that you will talk to. He makes 20gr., 25gr., and 30gr. 17 caliber bullets, both in varmint (very fragmentic)and fur friendly known as his T-000 meplat.
Also, his bullets are $20 a hundred and he is pretty much a one man operation.

this 17 fireball is not my only rifle it's just new to me. i already have a couple 22-250's,k-hornet,204ruger. just want this lil gun to be able to shoot dogs if that ever presents itself with the right bullet choice.

Originally Posted By: HeadHunter204So would the 25 grain Nagel be a good choice for my 1:10 twist 17 Remington i just got? Not to steal the thread, just was wondering.

In a short answer............yes. Are you sure it's a 1:10? A lot of the later 17 Rem.s were 1:9.
I shoot 4 17 Rems. and for the most part I shoot 25gr. bullets. If yours is a 1:10 it may stabilize the 30gr., but some didn't. There won't be a problem with the 25's.

I am no expert by any stretch of the imagination, but I'm not sure what is considered a high percentage shot. I've hunted Fox and Coyotes with a 17 Rem. since 1971, I have always tried to place the bullet in the chest, behind the lower portion of the shoulder, or in rare occasions in the head. Doing that has resulted in DRT. Trying to bust a shoulder has always resulted in a lost Coyote or Fox and a highly damaged pelt.

Last edited:
where does one find nagel 25g bullets. does anyone have any they want to get rid of. bergers are available everywhere. should i just buy 25g bergers since they are always instock somewhere

Im probably going to personally call Nagel an place an order for the 25 gr bullets. I'd suggest going that route Kyle. K22 seems to know his stuff an haven't ever known him to steer anyone wrong. Thanks for the help K22. It's appreciated.

Back