13 dogs in a day?

No I totally agree with you Dave. Same deal this past November with us we killed 12 one day and we had one triple and 2 doubles. And yes when you have those big days you do usually end up with a couple multiples on a stand to get those numbers. But we also had a couple stands on a different day where we had 3 come in and we got one and another stand where we had 4 come in and we got one. The [beeep] really happens fast when you have 4 coyotes coming in at once all wanted that rabbit first.lol Seems like I can handle those singles alot easier. We did get one quad with the Shotguns though. Had five hard chargers and only one escaped with his hide.

Good Hunting Chad

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: steve garretthow about not worry about what contest people do. do some searching around lately its been coming out more and more what contest hunters could be doing to win. I think just about everyone would say its not fair chase, its not having respect for the animal. Its also not showing a respect for the sport of hunting.

the people that win aren't able to win when the tournament is held at a different location. are you really that great of caller if you have some special situation that allows you to have an advantage on everyone when its held at THAT location? I say NO. The true test of a predator caller is put them in an area they have never been and say find and call the coyotes. This means there is no "special areas" no private land, basically nothing that isn't reality for everyone else.

did I say I am not a fan of contests? lets not mention the extra guys out doing it that wouldn't ordinary be doing it, blasting through country with little thought to anything else but dog count. I wouldn't really say it's disrespectful. I show them just as much respect and kill them as humanely as possible whether I'm calling a tournament or just doing it for fun. The only thing I've done different during a tournament is limit the time of my stands. I've called in Texas,Kansas and Oklahoma. Some places I've never once been before and called up coyotes. Being a good caller didn't have much to with it. We saw coyote tracks or scat and called. We just weren't very slow about it.

Others have nailed it time and time again. A good, dumb population and a little bit of fire in your pants is about all it takes.

I've got 30K plus acres that hasn't been called since February last year set aside for a contest in a couple of weeks. The hunt has a 15 animal limit and a cat is worth just a hair more than a dog. My partner and I should be done hunting coyotes before the half way point (midnight) and on to 30-45 minute cat specific stands.

A great population beats just about anything. This place is pretty salty. If I recall correctly, the first 3 stands in that pasture yielded 7 coyotes last year. It happens fast some days.

Originally Posted By: steve garretthow about not worry about what contest people do. do some searching around lately its been coming out more and more what contest hunters could be doing to win. I think just about everyone would say its not fair chase, its not having respect for the animal. Its also not showing a respect for the sport of hunting.

the people that win aren't able to win when the tournament is held at a different location. are you really that great of caller if you have some special situation that allows you to have an advantage on everyone when its held at THAT location? I say NO. The true test of a predator caller is put them in an area they have never been and say find and call the coyotes. This means there is no "special areas" no private land, basically nothing that isn't reality for everyone else.

did I say I am not a fan of contests? lets not mention the extra guys out doing it that wouldn't ordinary be doing it, blasting through country with little thought to anything else but dog count.

I like this guy ^^^

did I say I am not a fan of contests? lets not mention the extra guys out doing it that wouldn't ordinary be doing it, blasting through country with little thought to anything else but dog count. Agree to disagree, I'm sure Geoff Nemnech would NOT agree! He's a back to back 2 time winner of the worlds, with NO violations. Top guys prepare many months before. Land leases, private ranches, contact outfitters in their perspective hunt sites. It's a very big deal for these top guys. And I certainly wouldn't say they weren't "good callers"!!!

Quote:I'm sure Geoff Nemnech would NOT agree! He's a back to back 2 time winner of the worlds, with NO violations. and this year they did it on 100% public land where anyone else can hunt, they just gotta find "the" spot.

Quote:I think just about everyone would say its not fair chase, its not having respect for the animal. Its also not showing a respect for the sport of hunting.
I completely disagree. I don't do a dang thing different when contest hunting, other than pushing harder and making more stands. Why does that make it not fair chase. Killing a coyote weather I'm in a contest or not is NOT showing any less respect for the animal that I'm in pursuit of.

Originally Posted By: songdog Quote:I'm sure Geoff Nemnech would NOT agree! He's a back to back 2 time winner of the worlds, with NO violations. and this year they did it on 100% public land where anyone else can hunt, they just gotta find "the" spot. Right! Absolutely amazing!

Originally Posted By: songdog Quote:I think just about everyone would say its not fair chase, its not having respect for the animal. Its also not showing a respect for the sport of hunting.
I completely disagree. I don't do a dang thing different when contest hunting, other than pushing harder and making more stands. Why does that make it not fair chase. Killing a coyote weather I'm in a contest or not is NOT showing any less respect for the animal that I'm in pursuit of.

In your case what you describe is fine. But are you the one winning? Coyote hunting to me is an experience that goes beyond just simple killing the animal. It's looking at a map at a place I have never been and thinking that should hold some dogs. It's choosing a stand correctly managing the wind and location a dog will come in from. Lastly it's about the peace of the high desert, about being away from just about everyone. It's not hearing another sound unless you or nature is making it. It's about wide open spaces and enjoying a magic beauty that almost everyone will never see or understand. With that in mind hunting for a contest seems to forget and is actually opposed to most of the things I like to experience in the field.

You don't have to agree. But if I could get others to stop and take a deep breath and enjoy the opportunity, enjoy the experience. That's what I am after

Some days all I care about are one pretty set. Just getting out with no pressure and watching the sun go down from a cut corn field or the top of a nice hill with a view of the river....and some days I want to test myself to see how many I can fool. How many predators can I trick and shoot. I have hunted in a couple contests and can say that there is nothing relaxed about it for me. Not until every last team checks in. Not only do I want to be good at what I do, I want to be the best. I I get enjoyment from the results not the hunt. I get pleasure looking back at the last three nights in a row I didn't sleep one wink hunting harder and walking farther than I think anyone else will. When I look at that pile on my truck I am proud of what I have accomplished. I can see why some might not like contests but to me its as much against myself as it is against the other teams

Quote: But are you the one winning? Thankfully I'm not usually the winning team, because I'd hate to be classified as you have done. Obviously the winning teams have lost all respect for the quarry and don't know how to enjoy life the rest of the year, ya know, when they are just out calling to for the enjoyment of it, like they are doing every other weekend of the season.
crazy.gif

I like to hunt contests to push myself to the limits. It gives a new definition to "dog tired"! It is normally the only times i get to go call from daylight to dark. ( with 3 young children and a wife at home.) i really enjoy contests and get to call country that i only call once or twice a year, but i am not the only one with permission on this country. +2 songdog

Originally Posted By: PanyoteI like to hunt contests to push myself to the limits. It gives a new definition to "dog tired"! It is normally the only times i get to go call from daylight to dark. ( with 3 young children and a wife at home.) i really enjoy contests and get to call country that i only call once or twice a year, but i am not the only one with permission on this country. +2 songdog

Absolutely..competition is the test, everything else is just practice.

Originally Posted By: songdog Quote: But are you the one winning? Thankfully I'm not usually the winning team, because I'd hate to be classified as you have done. Obviously the winning teams have lost all respect for the quarry and don't know how to enjoy life the rest of the year, ya know, when they are just out calling to for the enjoyment of it, like they are doing every other weekend of the season.
crazy.gif

Yes!!! Well said.

Originally Posted By: songdog Quote:I think just about everyone would say its not fair chase, its not having respect for the animal. Its also not showing a respect for the sport of hunting.
I completely disagree. I don't do a dang thing different when contest hunting, other than pushing harder and making more stands. Why does that make it not fair chase. Killing a coyote weather I'm in a contest or not is NOT showing any less respect for the animal that I'm in pursuit of. Got to agree, competition is a great thing, pushing yourself to the limits! Testing your fortitude against others! I see nothing wrong with that!!!!! This is not little league t-ball, where every kid gets a trophy just for participating! Which I do NOT agree with!

Quote:Lastly it's about the peace of the high desert, about being away from just about everyone. It's not hearing another sound unless you or nature is making it. It's about wide open spaces and enjoying a magic beauty that almost everyone will never see or understand

Maybe it's time to hang-er-up on the coyote hunting. Perhaps poetry or painting would be a better fit?

Originally Posted By: R.ShawQuote:Lastly it's about the peace of the high desert, about being away from just about everyone. It's not hearing another sound unless you or nature is making it. It's about wide open spaces and enjoying a magic beauty that almost everyone will never see or understand

Maybe it's time to hang-er-up on the coyote hunting. Perhaps poetry or painting would be a better fit?

Down here we would refer him to trout fishing.

I do enjoy a nice day though, but not near as much as a nice day with some blood on the tailgate.

Originally Posted By: R.ShawQuote:Lastly it's about the peace of the high desert, about being away from just about everyone. It's not hearing another sound unless you or nature is making it. It's about wide open spaces and enjoying a magic beauty that almost everyone will never see or understand

Man, where is a like button when you need one
thumbup.gif

The kid that killed 13 did it legit. You can say fresh ears, better ground and a dozen other excuses. Guess what, he was smart enough to insure that he had what he needed and he won two big contest that weekend. So I'd say his strategy was just a little better than everyone else's. You can draw a circle with a 50 mile radius anywhere in Oklahoma and find 3-4 contests every weekend. People buy a call on Thursday and hunt a contest on Saturday. There are many guys that follow all the rules but there are plenty that get with their buddies and pool coyotes. Someone said decoy dogs are an advantage. That's ridiculous. If I was in a competition against someone I'd let them use my dogs because they'd get to watch 90% of the coyotes they see run to the next county.

Last edited:
Back