Feral hogs

Nigel

Hello,
Has anyone ever hunted feral hogs in the east? Is there a lot of them or just scattered populations of them?
Thanks,
Nigel-

Nigel,look at hunting in the states of Mississippi,Alabama,Texas,Georiga,Louisanna,Tennesse,Missiouri, for hog hunting,I would suggest you go with a local,or someone who has plenty of piggin time under their belt.It is not like deer hunting a bad hog will hurt you!

Nigel...

Texas has so many hogs that they are a problem in some areas, I just got back this morning from a hunt where a guy posted on a message board that he needed help, I spoke with him, went to his property last night and checked out the area to see when, where they were running. Found several large wallows and rooting areas where they have wrecked his property, but didnt find the hogs this time.

You can get a lot of information on them from www.texasboars.com and there are also a few guides information there as well...

Hope this helps...

Robert

I live in Alabama now, and yes, there are a lot of hogs here. Unfortunately I haven't yet found access to any land with hogs, but am working on it.

Thanks for the info fellas, Does anyone think they could migrate to colder climates?
thanks again yall.
nigel.

Speakin of feral hogs,, I have one hangin in front of my tack shed as we speak.

Went to a favorite place with my little stick flinger and danged if I didn't stick an arrow right through one.
Bout a 200 pound sow, my first mechanical broadhead game animal taken.
I have always used the 100 grain muzzys, this girl didn't go 50 feet.

Kinda exciting though crawling through the mesquite and catclaw on your hands and knees after a blood trail!

not trying to make anybody mad but a pig is a domested hog with a curly tail.a hog is a mean wild stinky thing with a short tail.the only reason you would call a hog a pig is if it were a baby

Hi Im new here Gerald Stewart told me to post here cuz you guys knew your stuff. Is anyone in here around Conroe TX? I'm gonna be moving there in June and want to get into Hog hunting and predator hunting. Im new to both but have been hunting deer and elk in Colorado for a few years now. Well look foward to hearing from ya soon.

jay

COjay....

Welcome to PM... While I'm not from Conroe, I am familiar with that part of our state, all I can say is it is absolutely awesome, beautiful country and loaded with hogs and predators, you may even get lucky and see a mountain lion in that area.... And plenty of deer!!

I'm sure it wont hold much to CO. But it will sure win your heart trying!!

Originally posted by Stu Farish:
[qb]I live in Alabama now, and yes, there are a lot of hogs here. Unfortunately I haven't yet found access to any land with hogs, but am working on it.[/qb]
Stu,if you want to hunt hogs or good deer in Alabama,there is only one way,join a hunting club.Yes it's sad..but the truth.But if you want to try your luck on wildlife management areas,be sure to bone up on the state regs,that(the one your gonna hunt)WMA's regs.I would look at Oakmulgee,the refuge where you live(it's bow only)Lowdes,Demoplis(you'll need a boat to get away from the trigger happy folks)there are 2 more in south bama,near Mobile

Crapshoot...

Yes and No...
It is big enough to take some sows with and even some boars, but the older battle scarred boars will be harder to kill if it can even penetrate its shield.

The older boars have a lot of scar tissue around their necks and shoulders which are called shields, this way when they fight over a sow the cuts from the tusks dont have as much damage on them and over time it builds up... I have never seen for myself but have heard of many that were shot and skinned out only to find where someone else had shot it with a hand cannon and the bullets lodge in the shield or between the skin and the shield. If I were using a handgun of any caliber I would aim for the ear canal or somewhere else in the head, and yes with a .44 to the head or ear it is enough gun to kill one... But it all boils down to shot placement, regardless of what caliber you use... (I have even heard of people shooting them in the head with a .22 as regular practice to kill them before butchering them.)

I live in north texas and have been hunting coyotes for a while and just started into hog hunting. One thing I have found out is that after a couple of hours of hog hunting in the middle of the night, if you don't get one you can almost always bag a coyote or two. As for the .22, do you really want to get that close and put that much faith in a small gun (smile)?? - I wouldn't recomend a 9mm either, been there, done that, made the mistake and luckly for me, my buddy didn't miss with the 44. - weazel

The refuge has lot's of hogs. On the Georgia side, so far as we can tell there isn't a single hog on the bama side. We have a line on 2 private properties plus the refuge with bow for hogs, all on the GA side, which means about $200 in non-res license fees.

We also have finally found a land owner friendly to us who claims to have hogs on one property, ansd has given us hunting access to all his land. Now we need some scouting to see what's really there.

The Barbour County WMA doesn't have any hogs on it either, so far as we've been able to determine. If there are any, they can only be shot during other hunts, so that doesn't help for any off-season hunting. They close most of the roads in the place at the end of turkey season and they don't reopen until fall, just before bow season, and even predator and varmints that are otherwise legal all year can't be hunted there. Pain in the ass, that's about 18,000 acres shut off for half the year.

BTW, the other downside to the refuge is that hogs are legal only during the deer seasons. Which means that for that property, hunting deer and hogs with a bow has to compete with hunting deer with a rifle elsewhere. We're debating still on whether we'll hunt GA this year. Waiting on the results of our next scouting trip here before we decide. If we can get into enough hogs on this side, we already have enough deer to hunt, so the GA license wouldn't be worth it. Besides, I have to eat SC non-res fees to go hunt with my cousin, there's only so much I can afford in non-res licenses.

Still, they're out there, it's just a matter of connecting. With any luck, this'll finally be the year for that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Back