Feral hogs

COjay- I'm about an hour or hour and a half from Conroe. You might try the Sam Houston National Forest WMA. It takes a $40 permit, but the area is about 168,000 acres. They have quite a few hogs if you know where to look. Otherwise, you will probably need to look for a lease. The good ones don't tend to come cheap.

Yellowhammer have you ever hunted it? I know a few people around the Magnolia area with some deer leases and they said we can hunt those. Are you a hog and coyote hunter?

Here's one I stabbed with a knife...try that, that's really exciting!!!
fdfe7431.jpg

Well, he was down in Leakey Texas, a few hours southeast of me.I killed him several months ago, and posted the pics in the photo gallery, but this topic made me think about it again.

The rancher had one mean ol' dog and me...we ran him for a couple of miles, then he came to a fence corner. He had his butt in the corner and all his razor teeth pointing at me and the dog. They rancher said, "when he(the dog) runs in, you'd better be right behind him, he'll grab hold , but he can't hold him for long, you need to get in, stab and get out". The getting out part was the easiest. The dog grabbed a mouth full of his left ear, as the pig was trying to cut him up. He did cut him a bit on the chest, before I started stabbing, but I ran in , brandishing a 4&1/2" cold steel hunter. I grabbed a bunch of bristly hair on his shoulder with my left hand, reached over to his heart area, and commenced to jab. I stabbed fast and furious, hitting him as many times as I could in the heart. Blood was really flowing, all over me , the pig, and the dog. He was kind of hooking at me in a cirlce, then he'd hook at the dog a bit. The knife was burying to the hilt every time, and it was only seconds until the pig knew he was in trouble. At almost the exact second, the dog let go, I ran out and the pig was stumbling to the ground. I don't think it took more than 10 to 15 seconds for him to die. The rancher said he'd seen a lot of rifle hunters not kill that fast. Me and the dog both were checked for damage, as there was blood on all of us. We were ok. I had a small cut on my arm, he had one in his chest. This hog had killed 2 dogs only a few months before. ( they told me that afterwards)

We took him to the ranch headquarters, and skinned him. He had 7 stabs in a 4" circle, right at his heart. When we gutted him, one guy there said it looked like it had been hit by a shreader.It was really pretty exciting, and my heart pumped pretty good for a while.

I've killed hundreds with a gun or bow, but that, by far, was the most exciting. The rancher told me I'd ruined it for him, he'd have a lot of trouble getting excited about a gun hunter killing one, or even a bow hunter. It was a lot of fun and something that you should try if you want to get your heart pumpimg......Randy

Good Grief...first it was King Of The Night then The Nightstalker and now it's Randy The Ripper ..... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

That's pretty damn cool though. What's next? Hunting with a 5 foot coil of rope...a pair of tweezers and a Barry Manilow tape? /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

Congrats on that one Randy.

That has to be one of the best stories I have ever heard. Congrats on such a fine pig. I think I will have to get a couple pigs witha rifle before I go at stabbing one. Did you know the rancher or was it like a guided thing? HOw big do most of these TX pigs get?

I was actually helping a friend guide some of his clients. I know the rancher , and he told me as long as I was there,I should take a pig home with me. I think he set me up to get that dog killin' hog. He was glad to see him go. Randy

COjay...

We only have a few small ones around the state...
This one weighed a reported 1200 lbs., The guy in the pic is 6'7" 300 lbs. and he used a human as bait... LMAO You can read the story HERE
Boared_3960.jpg

This one is more likely the work of some good photographing angles, making the hog appear larger than he actually is, by having the gunman sit several feet on the other side of the hog...

Post-1-890-big.jpg

You might need a machete lol :eek: Yeah that 2nd pic does look like a nice angle. Thannk you for all of your time and help fellas.

jay

hey we shoot them with 22s here but would not recommend it.I have never wounded one but u have to shoot it right in the eye.Mostly we catch them with dogs.Cought one that weighed 270 in a trap.

Here's one I felled with my .22mag several years ago. This is your average east Texas rooter.
fdb77c20.jpg

Yellowhammer have you ever hunted it? I know a few people around the Magnolia area with some deer leases and they said we can hunt those. Are you a hog and coyote hunter?
COjay- I've hunted hogs for quite a while, and just recently started seriously predator hunting. I have killed a couple of coyotes before, but while hunting something else. I called in and killed couple of bobcats earlier this year. Called in some coyotes but they got the better of me. I do not hunt the Sam Houston just because I have areas to hunt a lot closer. I could probably point you in the right direction though.

COjay,
when are you moving to conroe ?
you and I will be neighbors, /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
I have a big game lease in junction tx, whitetails, exotics, varmits and hogs, plus a duck,dove goose, varmit lease in hitchcock tx, near galveston...
I can get you on some hogs in junction...

Im going down tomorrow til June 2 and if I find a job and a place to live. I Should be moving down around june 16 or somewhere around in there. Its nice to finally find somone in the same area as me /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif Do you have any instant messangers? I have yahoo and aol my sn for both is hotejay. Send me an IM sometime

Any help you can give me will be greatly apperciated
Cojay- try around Tarkington Bayou south of FM2666. There are hogs along the Bayou and if you scout the area you will find some of the managed wildlife openings and food plots. That's were I would try to do some predator calling around the openings for bobcats and coyotes. Unless they have changed it lately, the best areas are behind locked gates, that why they are the best. But if you have a mountain bike you can get in pretty easy.

RWaller

I have a cousin that lives in Cut-n-Shoot. How is the duck and goose hunting around Hitchcock? I went down around Bay City this past year with a friend and got a couple of specks and a couple of snows. We had thousands just out of gun range, but you know how that goes.

Back