Baiting

Stackin them up. Well done.

My only experience where I baited was for javelina...I used catfood, dog food and potatoes. The javelina went bonkers for the catfood. Worked that bait pile for a month before bow season opened. On opening day we found a group of hunters sitting in the MIDDLE of our bait site.

Since then, AZ banned baiting big game.

Arizona Bushman and I have called near known dead piles with a lot of successes.

But we've never worked a bait pile like you guys do. It's really interesting to share in your tactics.

Mo

Thanks guys for your well wishes. I am feeling some better today. The coyote returned yet again last night, three different times making its visit three consecutive nights. I generally don’t have them come to the bait like that. I believe this one is a female, maybe with pups though not sure, so I am hanging it up for the season. I will begin again in September, or maybe August. I can hunt them year around but choose not to. Will still hang out here to see how you guys are doing.

Wolverines, we are glad to have you in this forum. As mentioned, we like photos and videos. Also, we would like to see your setup and how you go about. Photos are nice. We all learn from each other.

Week, congrats on yet another one. You are really getting into them lately.

Mo, I hate to hear about the baiting ban. Can you bait coyotes there? I have been baiting coyotes for 12 years now after losing some company land that became posted and for lease only. However, as much as I enjoy calling, baiting has been more productive for me. It’s very mountainous and thick here making calling more difficult, plus we don’t have a big population of coyotes like in some other places.. Baiting is a lot of work, planning and timing, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

thumbup.gif

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Thanks guys for your well wishes. I am feeling some better today. The coyote returned yet again last night, three different times making its visit three consecutive nights. I generally don’t have them come to the bait like that. I believe this one is a female, maybe with pups though not sure, so I am hanging it up for the season. I will begin again in September, or maybe August. I can hunt them year around but choose not to. Will still hang out here to see how you guys are doing.

Wolverines, we are glad to have you in this forum. As mentioned, we like photos and videos. Also, we would like to see your setup and how you go about. Photos are nice. We all learn from each other.

Week, congrats on yet another one. You are really getting into them lately.

Mo, I hate to hear about the baiting ban. Can you bait coyotes there? I have been baiting coyotes for 12 years now after losing some company land that became posted and for lease only. However, as much as I enjoy calling, baiting has been more productive for me. It’s very mountainous and thick here making calling more difficult, plus we don’t have a big population of coyotes like in some other places.. Baiting is a lot of work, planning and timing, but I have thoroughly enjoyed it.

Yeah, we can bait coyotes. But we can't use cameras to aid in hunting as of 2022. AZ hunting laws are an exercise in contradictions. Our commission is all over the place. No magazine capacity limits, suppressors are legal. No trail cams, night hunting with lights only and then in only certain areas and certain times of the year. No hunting contests. Hunters under game and fish jurisdiction not city/county laws. So it's a mess.

I had no idea how much of a skill baiting was until the baiting thread was brought to my attention. When I took a look I realized how much effort you guys put in and you've got my respect for the skill and technique.

Game Commissions are woefully lacking at times with common sense. I remember the days in Virginia when you couldn’t hunt small game (rabbits and squirrels) with a .22 rimfire pistol, but it was perfectly legal to use a .357 or .44 mag. Ignorance abounds.

Interesting video Weekender. He was so fidgety that I checked the playback speed twice. I've seen spooky but that guy was different. Nice shot placement.

06 - Glad your feeling better. She'll be there waiting in the fall.

WF, up through the first time I showed the shot it was set to 2X normal speed just so I didn't bore ya'll to death. Then I showed the shot in normal as well as slow motion.

Originally Posted By: baitpileWelcome aboard the thread wolverines, glad you found us. Lots of baiting adventures here, don't be shy, and we like pics and video!!

I appreciate the welcome Baitplile. I'll post up the ones from this year when I have a sec. I for the life of me can't figure out how to post pics here. I got it to work one time with Fliker (I think that's what it's called). Is there a good/better app to use then that?

Originally Posted By: weekenderVideo from this morning as promised:

Nice video and shot. He sure was skittish. I've considered dog food as bait, but there's a couple neighbor dogs that would surely find it.

Thanks 6mm, I've enjoyed your videos and write-ups on your baiting adventures in the Night Calling forum the past several years. I'll post up some of my vids on a different post. I struggle with pics on here but will try and figure it out.

wolverines, I use IMGUR to post pics. It's free. After you upload your pic to imgur, click on the pic. It will open a new window where the pic will be displayed larger. On the right side of the pic, you should see 6 links. Click on the one that is the bb code. That will copy the link and then just paste it in you post here where you want it to appear.

Wolverines, welcome again. As to posting pictures from Flickr, here is what you need to do. Once you upload the picture to Flickr, you then click on the picture and in the lower right hand corner of the screen you will see several icons appear. You click on the one which looks like a curved arrow and is the share icon. When that screen comes up, click on the BB code option and copy what appears in the box below it. Then you just come to your post on PM and paste the code in your message. The picture will then appear when you post.

Week, that was one nervous coyote and a good shot, considering. I have had a few very skittish but none to this extent.

Week, that was one nervous coyote and a good shot, considering. I have had a few very skittish but none to this extent.

Have hunted dead pits, & dead game/cattle when opportunity presented itself; even re-located a carcass or two over the years, but never set up a bait station per-se.

This was a re-located zebra carcass (IIRC) that yielded a couple of coyotes
35815842092_ea1de39a37_o.jpg

Out of curiosity, just wonder what effect human scent left at your bait stations might play in the degree of "nervousness" from one coyote to the next. For instance, do you think the really nervous ones may be on first visit and they might tend to get used to the human smell after repeated trips?

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: hm1996Out of curiosity, just wonder what effect human scent left at your bait stations might play in the degree of "nervousness" from one coyote to the next. For instance, do you think the really nervous ones may be on first visit and they might tend to get used to the human smell after repeated trips?

I think human scent without a doubt can affect a bait site. The cell cam has been a game changer for this. Before the cell cam I made sure my camera was set up so I could pull the card without getting close to the carcass (usually 30 feet from the site). With the cell cam, by the time they find the bait, it doesn't really matter where my camera is set up. I never have to go back out unless my batteries go dead. I can usually get a couple months out of a set of batteries.

Wolverine if you're using your phone for pics, you need to transfer(I loaded all my phone pics into a single file) to your computer. Than you can drag individual photos to a host file(I know way more than I wanted to learn) easy to copy and paste after that.

Back