Baiting

I tend to agree to the "landscape of fear" notation Bait, and have been pondering it as well. I would tend to call it the "death zone" around my area of operation. The ones that come around too often end up on the bone pile and the others still alive have to notice that.

Fear is a great motivator for coyotes as well as humans.

When I started in the LE field around 30 years ago, most criminals were at least halfway afraid of the police. Now days, not so much, and the crime stats are pretty much proof of that.

When I got serious and started out with NV and hunting coyotes around 8-9 years ago, I was overrun with them much like the NVA moving along the Ho Chi Minh Trail in Vietnam. They were everywhere and were unafraid of anything.

They are definitely afraid around my place now. No doubt about it.

I figure they are in the "risk vs reward" mode. Constantly determining if its worth the risk for a free meal of Ol' Roy dog food vs. getting killed.

Some good thoughts. So, we'll just keep doing what we are doing and have fun doing it I think. Some more thoughts in my haed, based on that article and other research, is that we will always have coyotes to shoot, regardless of the numbers. A good thing!
Keep on keepin on!
Thanks guys!
bait

They must have learned something around my place as I haven't seen or heard one in almost 2 years. I think it's that neighbors have got night hunting equipment to be honest. I hear shooting at night regular. I still have plenty of red and gray fox, but we can't shoot those at night.
On a more positive note, my wife and I have a new hunting lease and there are coyotes on it. The only issue is it's 2.5 hour drive to get there making baiting a challenge.

I have access to some land on the other end of the mountain that the owner says has coyotes, but I don’t have a place to stay. That’s why I need a mobile hunting shack. Funding the build is the only issue at the moment. The same owner has land bordering mine, and says he is not seeing or hearing any on that property.

I know we discussed the mobile hunting shack in the past. That is still on my mind as well. Keep us posted if you progress on that venture, very interesting topic and would be fun to follow. Also very interested in the ultimate outcome as far as success hunting out of it...

I have two utility trailers, an older 5x10 and a newer 6x12. I use the 6x12 quite a bit so am considering the 5x10 as a possible candidate. It will be pretty narrow but I probably could manage. I have considered extending a bunk ledge out over the fenders.

The property is about two miles from my house, so not far. A cellular camera would help keep me informed of activity. A mobile shack could be pulled to any location.

I found these two interesting designs on Youtube. The last photo of the frame shows what I am thinking about a bunk extended out over the fenders.

52525819364_1035d5a81a_z.jpg

52525543566_484ca9eb83_z.jpg

Our new "blind" is a little cramped for two people and our jack russell but we are suffering through. We don't have satellite TV yet, the pump is broke so no flush but the power is on now so we have heat, a frig, microwave and a coffee maker. We are getting by with free TV for now. You can see the foam (found on the highway) shooting port in the window. Bait is about 90 yds.

XpcLjMt.jpg

put my new thermal to work last night at our other camp to get a load of bait. Forgot to hit record, oh well.

OyULUBz.jpg

and a yet another positive, 1st deer taken from the new lease was good for our "NC" standards

cpCptWh.jpg

Last edited:
Nice deer and hog there Week - congrats. And your "blind" is complete with a shooting port through the window. That about covers most the bases.

Looks pretty rough there Week!!! You definitely have things going on for ya there!
06, that is perfect, about what I'm thinking at some point...

Coyotes had made an appearance at my new bait site 8 nights in a row, with me only there one of them. That night I fell asleep at 12:30 AM, he came at 1:00 AM and unfortunately I had the bait alarm turned down to no sound when I thought I had it on low sound. He came in and beat me at my own game. Last night my wife and I spent the night there and for the first time in 8 nights no coyote came. We were ready, it was her turn to be the shooter. The coyote won again. He can count his lucky stars and also the days he has left. He won't win them all. Hopefully the tied down hog carcass will keep him coming till we can get back for the next inning in the game of life, and death.

Yank away sucker...

J0lgRfJ.jpg

Originally Posted By: 6mm06
Been there and done that, Week. I know exactly how it goes. You will win the day soon.

What 6 said there Week. Glad to see you getting some action

Well Week, at least you didn't know he was there, and miff a shot, he'll be back. Unfortunately, I just made a major contribution to my "Landscape of Fear". Crap!! It's amazing how many coyotes I've killed and still screw up. I exercised ZERO patience and shot at a very bad angle...STUPID. A little patience and he would have eventually turned broadside, and, well, you get it. I missed on my 170 site just a few minutes ago. I didn't even remember to hit record. You'd think it was my first coyote...
Well, at least the excitement is still there this many years into it!
Rant over, carry on...
Let's kill some coyotes!!

Originally Posted By: baitpileYou'd think it was my first coyote...Well, at least the excitement is still there this many years into it!
Let’s hope that excitement never ends for any of us.

A bobcat continues to be a regular visitor at my place. Trail cameras show him coming day and night. No sign of a coyote for a while.

Back