Baiting

Congrats on the venison DU!
06, very nice work and video workup. The .308 is definitely a DRT machine there!! What kind of damage, if any, did that 110 gr do?

Bait, the bullet exited as you would imagine, but it was more of a hole than a gaping blowout, more like the size of a quarter. If I were saving fur this coyote would have been good. Of course this is only one example. Not sure what future ones might do.

Copy that 06. I would image that the yardage may play a role as well, but don't know. Just shot placement can change those variables so much, even in lighter calibers. Good work!

Another score last night. Hoping this pace will be the norm. 170 yd site. 6x45 running 65 gr vmax at 2900 fps. AGM Rattler 384. The shot destroyed his front left shoulder and dropped him. The shot passed through his vitals and exited the other side with about a 1/4" hole. As the video shows, the tough bugger got up and stumbled down the hill. Went about 35 yds total, dead on his feet.

11-11@170(2) by jrhranch, on Flickr

11-11@170(3) by jrhranch, on Flickr

https://vimeo.com/770211977

@Baitpile Nice shot. Is that the Rattler 25 or 35? Really good video, can't believe he got up for one last dash.

What is the hotspot in the fifth tree to the right of the baitpile?

Congratulations Baitpile! Looks like things are on the upswing for you. I used my 6x45 the "Old Parvo" to take that 8 pt. deer this week with a 70 gr. ballistic tip at 2,950. Sure put the smack-down on him.

Good job Bait. The 6x45 cartridge does a very good job for it’s small size. Like Doubleup, i have taken deer with mine, two deer.

That male coyote that was with with female the other night, returned last night. I hope he keeps coming.

Thanks fellas!
Wildflights, I have the 35mm Rattler. It has been flawless for me so far, as far as thermals go. Not so much so when I had my Bering. The hot spot...I don't know. I saw that as well. I have noticed that during the day, certain areas and things will warm up in the timber, then when the temp drops fast, I can see warm logs and such. Also, when you look at my bait, it appears hot as well, don't know, because that has been laying out there for days. Mice show up very well, running in the trees, so, it could have been some kind of small critter too.
DU and 06, I've really taken a liking to my 6x45. This is my calling rifle, nice and light and manuverable for sure. The terminal performance also, given it's a .223 case, is exceptional to say the least. Fun caliber.
Stay after em everyone!!

Holy smokes. I go hunting in Montana for 8 days and come back to two full pages of successful hunts....great job to all!

Tracked a pack of wolves for a day up there but no luck. Maybe next year.

I've come to expect the experience of hunting in the remotes of Montana the best week of the year for me anyway, even if I dont shoot anything.

"Recent research
suggests that animals respond to
a “Landscape of Fear”, meaning
they adjust their behaviors to
areas and times at which they
perceive greater mortality risk.
Lethal management, when applied
in key areas, key times, or to
key individuals, may produce a
behavioral response in coyotes
that is more effective at achieving
desired management outcomes
than population reduction."

Just sitting here waiting for the turkey to get done and pondering this excerpt from the article posted in the coyote management thread. What are all of your thoughts on this as it pertains to the same bait site used year after year after year. Could the coyotes in your particular area eventually develop that "perceived danger" or "landscape of fear" around your baitsite, and, begin to avoid it? Just curious. I kill several coyotes a year, but the numbers can vary greatly. My assumption was always, that most coyotes at my baitsite are not able to leave and tell their buddies that this is a dangerous spot, but, there may be several in the area when one is killed, to eventually develop that "landscape of fear".
Thoughts?
bait

I have wondered about that, Bait. The last two seasons I had good numbers of coyotes. This year they are scarce, having only taken two since August. They just aren’t showing up this year. Not sure why.

I think they may very well smell the scent of dead coyotes and become wary of bait piles where lots of coyotes have died. I would assume that removing them from the bait site ASAP would help rather than leaving them at the site all night.

I've only killed one so far on the bait since July 1st. I've had two different ones which have shown up on rare occasions since them, but not consistently. Most of my bait site activity has historically run from Jan. through April. Seems like breeding season gets them moving.

Back