Baiting

Thanks for the condolences Gents. Buford III is still sorely missed for sure. Yesterday I went by the county pound and picked up Buford IV. He has very very big paws to fill but I'll do my best to give him a great home and train him in Buford III's footsteps.

4+ or so months old and about 45-50 pounds. I'd say he's a mix of hound and mutt. Pretty shy and not much confidence. Hopefully that'll change when he get accustomed to his job and his new home.

75UfBdB.jpg

S9rF5iJ.jpg

Things have been extremely slow here this year. It's been 60 days since I have seen a coyote at the bait site. Frustrating. However, I still managed to get a bit of hunting excitement last night. A red fox has been casing out my chickens lately. We let the chickens out during the day thus making them vulnerable. The previous night I heard the fox barking near the coop. So, last night I set up near the coop for a bit of calling. I sat in a swivel shooting chair that has a back rest and forearm rest, and that swivels 360 degrees. It wasn't long until he arrived, so he must have been close by. I used an old Foxpro Spitfire caller with a fox whistle sound loaded and he came straight in.

I used a BCA 6.5 Grendel upper shooting a 90 gr. Varmageddon and a Pulsar Apex XQ38 thermal scope. The distance was close, maybe 40 yards which resulted in the shot going a bit low. Regardless, another chicken thief is down.

52444154979_cda7fdbf1f_k.jpg

52443384842_d2f4005135_b.jpg

52444125079_09f185f896_b.jpg

Nice work 06! We all have to do what we gotta do to protect the homestead. About a week ago, I looked out the bathroom window, saw a woodchuck sneaking through the yard. Momma was getting ready for work, doing the hair and all, no worries, screen comes out and I slipped the .204 out the window. Done, homestead safe once again.
smile.gif

Pretty quiet folks!! I started chumming with some beaver. Not getting me anywhere...absolutely over run with possum and skunks. Nov 5th, opening on them, we shall cure that problem. Coyotes on trail cams most of the summer, now nothing. We'll see how the hard winter ahead treats me. Hope all are getting wound up!!

bait

Not much over my way either BP. The common sayings that "you cant kill enough coyotes to get rid of them" I do not believe is true, at least in my AO.

When I got NV and actively started hunting them, they seem to have decided to go somewhere else or figured out my area is a death zone and stay away.

However, 8 miles down the road at my brother in laws, he has quite a bit of activity.

I guess the answer is "it depends..."

It has been extremely slow here this season, but two showed up Friday night. They were nervous and didn’t come down the hill to the bait. One didn’t seem to like the trail camera glow. I think one may have got a tidbit or two that i had thrown up in the field. I am hoping to stay at the shack soon, maybe Tuesday night if the weather forecast holds.

We haven't had much time to hunt lately, we moved 120 miles to a new place and in the 25 years we lived at the old place, we acquired a LOT of stuff. Load after load, it took a while to move it all. My wife got to "bait" hunt 2 evenings and me 1 morning and 1 evening. The "hammer" took this nice 3 yr. old 8pt with her muzzle loader and I got a slight pie bald buck with mine. This closed out our permission on this track of land that we had hunted since 1987. Sure hate to lose it, but development is coming fast. They were to start on Nov 1 and they were right on time. They allowed us to hunt through Oct 31.

0086Wzo.jpg

7FzLFdT.jpg

Sorry to hear about losing the land, Week. I know how that feels. Nice job on the deer. That’s a nice way to end it.

Official start to the 22/23 season.
About 9:55 pm on Sunday evening, this fella came sniffing around my 170 yd site. My 20" .22-250 with 50 gr Nosler Ballistic Tips at just shy of 3700 fps. Rolled down the hill from the site and was dead in the creek bed.
Young male.

11-6(3) by jrhranch, on Flickr

11-6(2) by jrhranch, on Flickr

Nice buck DoubleUp.

Well, I am finally getting around to posting the coyote I got on the 7th. I have been a little slow in getting the video worked up.

Two coyotes have been coming sporadically to the bait site and I never could seem to be there when they were. It finally happened Monday night. I shot the female hoping the male would return, but he never did. I have stayed at the shack for the last two nights and nothing. He looked to be pretty big.

This time I tried a .308 Bergara B14 Hunter rifle, shooting a Nosler 110 gr. Varmageddon. I can't seem to stay with any one rifle or load for very long before the urge to experiment grips me. The coyote hit the dirt as I have come to expect from Varmageddons.

In the video I put a video clip of what my security camera and monitor sees. I set this outfit up to help me see what's at the bait without having to turn the scope on.

52491151466_a54358608b_k.jpg

52491435164_6c4e96b31d_k.jpg

52490669017_1aaf14ba28_k.jpg

Back