stainless steel inaccuracy?

About the only real problems that have ever existed with the use of stainless in firearms is metal galling. Overall heat and accuracy are not problems.

With early Colt stainless 1911's, mostly in 10MM, there were some galling problems until Colt switched to dissimilar stainless metal makeups and hardness for the slide and the frame. For example, using 410 stainless for the frames and 416 for the slides greatly reduced galling. I'm not sure that this is what Colt uses but at least one stainless 1911 maker used these two.

As for the response styles: With issues such as how fast a bullet spins, its been my experience here that sometimes acting dumb on a subject easily lures out the forum "intelligencia" who will perform at their arrogant best probably because they have no real life other than their keyboard and their following here. It's played out as predicted on two different occasions for me here, and both have been quite humorous as the "intelligencia" bare their souls for all to see how they really tick. Some people understand it for what it is and others don't. As I've said before, it is highly predictable and I'm pretty sure that the arrogance will surface again whenever.

Just an observation on a couple of components of this thread.

Originally Posted By: Winny Fan
As for the response styles: With issues such as how fast a bullet spins, its been my experience here that sometimes acting dumb on a subject easily lures out the forum "intelligencia" who will perform at their arrogant best probably because they have no real life other than their keyboard and their following here. It's played out as predicted on two different occasions for me here, and both have been quite humorous as the "intelligencia" bare their souls for all to see how they really tick. Some people understand it for what it is and others don't. As I've said before, it is highly predictable and I'm pretty sure that the arrogance will surface again whenever.

Just an observation on a couple of components of this thread.

i was wondering when your wounded ego would surface. right on time.

In 3rd grade they told us "there is no such thing as a stupid question", because they didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

They were wrong. There are lots of stupid questions.

Most of the time you can save yourself the embarassment of asking stupid questions out loud by pulling out the internet machine from your pocket (smart phone) and using Google to do a 2-minute search for the answer.

If you ask a dumb question on the internet, fasten your seatbelt and prepare to be bombarded with witty comments and insults from strangers. You're not in 3rd grade anymore. It's open game.

Originally Posted By: DiRTY DOGIn 3rd grade they told us "there is no such thing as a stupid question", because they didn't want to hurt anybody's feelings.

They were wrong. There are lots of stupid questions.

Most of the time you can save yourself the embarassment of asking stupid questions out loud by pulling out the internet machine from your pocket (smart phone) and using Google to do a 2-minute search for the answer.

If you ask a dumb question on the internet, fasten your seatbelt and prepare to be bombarded with witty comments and insults from strangers. You're not in 3rd grade anymore. It's open game.

I have to disagree Dirty Dog.
YES, a person could do a quick 2 minute search for an answer.
However, IMO, Predator Masters is a site where a person should not feel berated regardless of what question they ask.
I would not have been a member as long, nor, have as many post`s if the atmosphere were different.

IMO, witty answers, and especially insults should be `filtered`.(sometimes a witty answer can be entertaining).

At times I can see where some members `have it out for someone`. My 2cents; try not to be `rear-end hurt` about post`s made; get over it and understand that it`s the internet; most times you don`t know a person or their actual `tone` from a post.

The knowledge here at PM`s is vast and a wonderful tool if we maintain civility.

My 2 cents on the original post (and a couple replies); My (ONE), SS barrel is much more accurate than any of the CS barrels on rifles I own. Yes, SS can tend to gall when mated to (in contact with) other SS parts.

I don't usually take sides, oh he11 yes I do and I'm on Cats side. The OP stated he had a 22-250 and a 357 mag and when the stainless barrels heated up, accuracy went to pieces. I see three very small pieces of info here. 22-250, 357mag and stainless. What are we supposed to do with that???When I make a post, I make sure I got my "Big Boy Pants" on cause If its a borderline stupid question, I know I'm gonna get flamed. Especially by Catshooter cause he likes to pick on me!!LOL Its been said many times in the previous posts, get your facts together, then voice your problem. If you get a little heat, live with it, its the internet! JMO!

To the OP, I have SS and CM barrels both. Depending on the ambient temp and how many rounds I shoot, greatly influences accuracy.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: esmith4211Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: esmith4211they get hot alot faster then other firearms ive shot. then the accuracy goes out the window. the two ss firearms i currently own are a .22-250 rifle, and a .357 mag revolver.

Huh???

How is it that ALL benchrest rifles are stainless? Same with 1,000 yard rifles??

I shoot 2 blue and 5 Stainless Colt 1911s, and none of them get hotter than the eothers, and none of them loose accuracy more than the others.

I have more stainless rifles than I care to count, and NONE of them get hot fast, and none of them loose accuracy??

I think you have the problem, not the stainless guns.

ill just keep my thoughts and concerns to myself from now on...

Now come on JUNIOR! (as in junior member)
grin.gif

You know, several post brought up several good points AND OR questions.
What rifle? Barrel Contour? Pistol- same? factory ammo?

IMO, and a inherent problem with 2 minute internet answers is someone stumbling upon some bit of information or MIS-information and believing it to be true.

Stainless likely takes longer to break in because it's tougher.

But being tougher, it also WEARS longer and it also handles barrel erosion due to heat better.

I'll take any CM or SS barrel that shoots well and respect it for what it is .... the CM may break in easier but I know it will also wash out sooner, the SS may present a little longer fight during break in ... but I'll be longer in the tooth before I have to reach for another.

Best regards

Three 44s

Last edited:
Just got through shooting a brand new stainless barrel. First 5 shots were nothing short of excellent. Then it started getting warm and the groups exploded. Of course it is over a 100 degrees and this is a brand new barrel. My guess is it needed cleaning more than the heat was affecting it and my definition of warm, was warm to the touch not hot.

Last edited:
There are inaccurate stainless barrels the same as chrome moly barrels. My assumption is that the tooling used to cut the rifling makes the largest difference. It would stand to reason the more tolerance the tooling has when the rifling is cut, the more inaccurate the barrel. Personally I've never noticed one barrel steel more accurate than the other but competition barrels are pretty much always stainless which should be considered a clue.
Of course I am not an expert on the matter but I did stay at a holiday inn last night.

Originally Posted By: daddyfleaJust got through shooting a brand new stainless barrel. First 5 shots were nothing short of excellent. Then it started getting warm and the groups exploded. Of course it is over a 100 degrees and this is a brand new barrel. My guess is it needed cleaning more than the heat was affecting it and my definition of warm, was warm to the touch not hot.

After cleaning my accuracy was right back to excellent. I suspect cleaning was an issue.

Quote:They were wrong. There are lots of stupid questions....There is a substantial difference between "Stupid" and "Ignorant"...Ignorance can be corrected, Stupidity can not...

Ignorance is not knowing something, Stupidity is not being able to learn something...

While Google can be your friend, or enemy, as long as you know how to phrase the question...Hopefully, here, we are all friends...Let's keep it that way...

OT, I believe it goes like this:
Ignorance can be cured with education, there ain't no cure for stupid!! I use this phrase at work quite often.

Back