stainless steel inaccuracy?

they get hot alot faster then other firearms ive shot. then the accuracy goes out the window. the two ss firearms i currently own are a .22-250 rifle, and a .357 mag revolver.

Originally Posted By: esmith4211they get hot alot faster then other firearms ive shot. then the accuracy goes out the window. the two ss firearms i currently own are a .22-250 rifle, and a .357 mag revolver.

blink.gif

I don't think that's likely. There are many variables that cause barrel 'A' to heat up faster than barrel 'B' but stainless vs chrome-moly is probably pretty insignificant.

I've shot quite a bit of competition with stainless steel revolvers and never had an accuracy problem due to the material with which the weapon was made...

Stainless steel trigger parts do tend to gall a little more than happen with case hardened steel, resulting in a less then really smooth trigger pull, comparatively...But not enough to throw off a decent shooter..

Originally Posted By: esmith4211has anyone else ever had an issue with accuracy in a stainless steel firearm?

Stainless works for me.
1Mod70001_zps25be9af5.jpg

26" SS Mark Chandlin bbl. 1:10 twist in pre-64 Mod 70:
IMG_3527.jpg

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: esmith4211they get hot alot faster then other firearms ive shot. then the accuracy goes out the window. the two ss firearms i currently own are a .22-250 rifle, and a .357 mag revolver.

Huh???

How is it that ALL benchrest rifles are stainless? Same with 1,000 yard rifles??

I shoot 2 blue and 5 Stainless Colt 1911s, and none of them get hotter than the others, and none of them loose accuracy more than the others.

I have more stainless rifles than I care to count, and NONE of them get hot fast, and none of them loose accuracy??

I think you have the problem, not the stainless guns.

Originally Posted By: CatShooter
esmith4211 said:
[color:#CC0000][size:20pt]

Any more questions there ,Daisy? LOL

Don't be offended by the somewhat direct answers. Contour, caliber, environment, load, bedding and many other things may affect heating and/or accuracy. And there are some poor stainless barrels, just like there are some poor cm barrels.
Your issue is more likely due to some variable other than the material your barrel is made of. Even a barrel that gets hot may/should continue to shoot very well if there are no bedding issues or stresses in the barrel from manufacturing or machining done after stress relieving.
Good luck figuring the issue out and let us know what you find.

Originally Posted By: CatShooterOriginally Posted By: esmith4211they get hot alot faster then other firearms ive shot. then the accuracy goes out the window. the two ss firearms i currently own are a .22-250 rifle, and a .357 mag revolver.

Huh???

How is it that ALL benchrest rifles are stainless? Same with 1,000 yard rifles??

I shoot 2 blue and 5 Stainless Colt 1911s, and none of them get hotter than the eothers, and none of them loose accuracy more than the others.

I have more stainless rifles than I care to count, and NONE of them get hot fast, and none of them loose accuracy??

ill just keep my thoughts and concerns to myself from now on...

Catshooter,
You're out of line with your reply. The OP was seeking help and information, not bullying and abuse. He stated his observations and impressions of his weapons without disparaging your weapons or knowledge.
Eddie

Originally Posted By: canuroperCatshooter,
You're out of line with your reply. The OP was seeking help and information, not bullying and abuse. He stated his observations and impressions of his weapons without disparaging your weapons or knowledge.
Eddie

And your two last replies in this thread clearly shows you have an axe to grind. I think it's you that has the problem. Your last comment to CS went unanswered and it's got you mad so after a day of nothing you come back with this this in an effort to stir it up.

Let's keep the personalities out of this...On the other hand, I do think we might need some more information from the OP as to type/brand and conditions under which he is making these observations...It was a pretty open ended question to make specific evaluations...

Personally, I've never been a big fan of Stainless steel in moving parts, but have experienced no problems with basic stationary parts...

If someone has specific knowledge regarding either, let's hear it, or stay out of the subject...I don't look forward to deleting personalities out of any thread...

Originally Posted By: canuroper

CatShooter,
Eddie

He asked...

Originally Posted By: esmith4211has anyone else ever had an issue with accuracy in a stainless steel firearm?

And I replied..

None.. and I have a lot of stainless firearms - both receivers and barrels.

What is your problem??

There is nothing "out of line" with that. I asked "WHAT IS YOUR PROBLEM??"

And we (the collective group), get...

OK... he was asked what was his problem, and we get - "hot alot faster - the accuracy goes out the window." - no models, no other models he is comparing his with, no information on how many shots until they get hot - does he loose accuracy after 10 shots or after a 100 shots - does it get hot after 2 shots at a woodchuck, or 50 shoots at a target.

Are we supposed to be friggin' mind readers???

So I stated my opinion.

Huh???

And the truth is that it IS his problem... cuz NOBODY ELSE has it.

We are all members of a very large community (millions and millions) of gun owners and shooters. Some shooters plink a few rounds a year, but many shoot so many rounds that they buy commercial loading machines and shoot hundreds of rounds every weekend. More than 50% of the firearms made are stainless, or have stainless barrels and receivers.

Stainless guns, barrels, receivers, and frames for pistols, have been around for half of a century, and if there were "issues" about stainless guns and barrels loosing accuracy and over heating, I don't think it would have taken over 50 years to show up, and then it is discovered right here, for the first time on PredatorMasters.

How much babying does it take to get the information that is needed to reply to a question that gives no information? Do we need to give cookies and milk? How about a form posting, so someone asks, "I have a gun that doesn't shoot.what's wrong with it?" we just reply with our form.

Then we can post the "O-fish-ul form" that has 50 general questions about is it a rifle or hand gun - like what caliber is it, how many time have you shot it, are you old enough to own a gun, did your English teacher ever teach you how to write a question?

This is NOT the Girl Scouts, and if someone is old enough to own a gun, and ask other people for advice about a problem, I would think it is not askin' too much to expect them to actually state the problem... and be grown up enough to hear the answer.

And... your reply to him was just as "tweaked" as mine...

Originally Posted By: canuroperOriginally Posted By: CatShooter
esmith4211 said:
[color:#CC0000][size:20pt]

Any more questions there, Daisy? LOL

Don't be offended by the somewhat direct answers....

Good luck figuring the issue out and let us know what you find.

Daisy????

The fact is, there are millions of stainless guns, with moving bolts, slides, cylinders, barrels, that all function perfectly, accurately, and get no hotter than chromoly steel. Benchrest rifles are almost all stainless steel, except for the springs - event he trigger parts are stainless steel.

I have five all stainless Colt 1911 pistols that I shoot in competition. They are flawless and accurate and do not over heat.

And many other people here have had the same experience...

So there...
tt2.gif
tt2.gif
tt2.gif

w00t.gif
mmmm cookies

My one stainless AR has a accuracy problem, if I hand it to a buddy man does it shoot like crap. When I take it back all is well and it is scary accurate.
lol.gif

Last edited:
I appreciate the blunt and funny answers from Cat. The OP was so vague to start it took a few replies to even find out what he thought was going on. It's not an Easter egg hunt....lay out the question !! You can read the answers with what ever tone you want, sarcasm, humor, or mean but it's how YOU spin it that gives the tone. Personally I had never thought too much of barrel materials on accuracy. If it didn't work they wouldn't use it, right ? I like stainless because I can more or less ignore the exterior finish as far as rust goes. This gave me a little thought exercise though. Thanks for all the input guys. Keep asking questions.

Sorry about the time lag, its 230 am and I just finished delivering calves for the day, I hope.

Cat,
I agree with you that stainless is not the problem. I have quit buying guns that aren't stainless for the most part.
I have read enough of your posts to respect your opinions and knowledge. I'm on your side in the rotations per 100yds/rpm/etc fiasco from a while back.
It just bothers me when I see someone ask for help in a forum with so much to offer and they end up mad and unenlightened.
The Daisy comment was sarcasm and wasn't really directed at the op. Guess I missed that and I sent him a pm to that effect.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: canuroperSorry about the time lag, its 230 am and I just finished delivering calves for the day, I hope.

Cat,
I agree with you that stainless is not the problem. I have quit buying guns that aren't stainless for the most part.
I have read enough of your posts to respect your opinions and knowledge. I'm on your side in the rotations per 100yds/rpm/etc fiasco from a while back.
It just bothers me when I see someone ask for help in a forum with so much to offer and they end up mad and unenlightened.
The Daisy comment was sarcasm and wasn't really directed at the op. Guess I missed that and I sent him a pm to that effect.

Can...

As I and others said - people that what to get information or help with something, need to ask for what they need.

I have seen so many threads on this site, and other sites, where the OP phrases his question so poorly that it takes pages to find out what his problem is in the first place, and by that time, everybody is bored with it and has walked away from it.

If the OP takes a little tweeking in the process, it is life - and maybe they will think out the original post more carefully in the future.

It is 49° this morning... the first of fall weather, and I got no woodchucks this year (only saw one
frown.gif
)

Life sucks!!

Back