Texas is Losing the War on Feral Hogs

Originally Posted By: PowerfisherOriginally Posted By: doggin coyotesQuote:

$5 Can of wasp and hornet spray,

Yep, that stuff works extremely well. Shoots a good distance too.

The nest was inside the wall of my house and I could only get to the entrance hole they were going in and out of. I could not get to the actual nest. Other companies would not come out and kill them, they wanted to tear the siding off my house and remove the queen. I went through five friggin cans of wasp spray, used dish soap and water in a spray bottle, Murphy's Oil Soap in water, Ammonia and actually sprayed WD40 in the hole. It all worked till it dried up. Then they would come back cuz I couldn't get to the nest and kill the queen. I tried for two weeks to kill them or make them move and failed. So, ya, $250 and ten minutes and it was over. As far as the rodent problem goes, I used every store bought method to get rid of them, poison pellets, smoke bombs, granules of some sort that soak into the ground that make them move but non of that worked so I again had to have a professional come in and get the job done. But by the opinions that are shared by some of the members here about pest control and nuisance critter management, I should have charged them to destroy the wasp nest and tunneling rodents. After all, its my land and I have every right to charge somebody to help me.

OK you aint gonna believe it. I hate Yellow Jackets, This right here is sure fire and easy..... find the hole wait till night fix a paper bag with a couple spoons of seven dust in it tape the opening of the bag around the hole then tear a hole thumb size or a little larger in the bag.... Ha Ha the bees go in and out as usual and in a couple of days they all will be dead and you'll be happy. Its the best thing I've ever done to kill a nest of yellow jackets.

I know this is way off topic but very useful as the conversation turned.

Originally Posted By: Rocky1Quote:The nest was inside the wall of my house and I could only get to the entrance hole they were going in and out of.

Yep! That does present a problem. Hard to get the spray where it needs to go inside the wall.

While I would agree with you to a point on the landowner situation, a great deal of the problem with landowners is bad hunter experiences in the past, coupled with fear of liabilities incurred in granting access.

I agree with you Rocky. All day yesterday and all last night I put myself in the landowners shoes. I would not want some yahoo, gun toting slob hunter on my land. And as far as charging a fee, its their land, they can do what they want. If they want to charge a fee to hunt the land to help recoup some $$$ for the damage and $$$ lost cuz of the hogs, its their right. I fish private fisheries and have to pay a fee. Although the fish are not doing any damage, its still a privilege to fish the water. Just like its a privilege to hunt private land no matter what the reason. If I asked a rancher to hunt his land for yotes and he wanted to charge me, I would be taken back at first but I may just pay the fee cuz good hunting land is hard to come by. I see both sides and don't even have a dog in this fight. I will now return to my regular programming.

Last edited:
I can see where some folks that have been accustomed to free access to public lands all their life might not think lease fees are right, but , and it's a big but, leasing does help landowners to derive much needed income to help sustain their operation from leases. No different than oil and gas leases if you think about it.

The big advantage to the lease hunter is that he/she knows the other members on the lease and doesn't have to worry about some slob hunter that might well shoot at a sound or unidentified movement in the brush at worst and at least someone encroaching on your hunting area. Personally, I don't have any problem w/the lease system, and as I previously stated am not a landowner. JMO FWIW.

Regards,
hm

Originally Posted By: cbosshog79The fact that a bunch of gun toting, good ol boys (who are presumably conservative) have such a liberal view of private property rights is nearly comical.

Gaining access to a property that does not belong to you for any reason is a privilege, not a right. Anyone with such an entitlement attitude would never be welcome on anything I own or have access to.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe some of you guys would be happy if Obama issued a mandate that private property should be open to use from the public for the "greater good". But then again, surely you don't think that is a good idea...

I agree, nobody has a right to use private land except the owner, anyone else that gets to use it is being given or buying the privilege. Most ranchers, in MT anyway, are land rich and dollar poor and need every source of income they can muster to keep the place running.

That said, I like the Block Managemnet program that MT has. If you want to take part in some of the state funded reimbursement for wildlife damage etc, then you have to be a part of Block Management and open up some of your land (Not all, and the parts are designated by the owner, and you have to sign in to hunt them) to hunters to help control the number of wildlife on that property. If you don't want to be a part of it then that is fine, you just cant get that funding, if you choose to be a part of it, you do.

I know its easy to get jealous of people that get to hunt ranches or can afford to pay and hunt ranches, but private property is sacred IMHO and completely up to the owners in who, what, where, when, why and how their property is or is not used.

I hunt a ranch every year for cow elk, and you have to sign up well in advance, pick what 2 days you are going to hunt, and it is walk in from the ranch entrance to the section of land designated on your map with one other person. They allow the cow hunt because the elk break the heck out of their fences and eat their hay, but you sure as heck are not allowed to shoot one of the many GIANT BULLS that just lounge around and let you walk by. You also cant hunt any of the trophy class whitetails on the place, if it has antlers you cant shoot it.

Originally Posted By: Gman757
Originally Posted By: crapshootI didn't read the whole thread, but with that said....

They would have far fewer hogs if ranchers/landowners should quit charging people 100's of dollars to help rid them of their pest problems. JMHO.
Just sayin.

You know this hog thing goes full circle......some guys PAY to hunt hogs and some guys get PAID to hunt hogs. I don't do either one and I continue to get land to hunt on because I volunteer my time and expense to hunt for farmers with hog and coyote problems. I show up with expensive NV gear to help them out and in return I get lots of land to hunt on. I also hunt alone....They give ME permission to hunt.....not my buddies or their buddies.

Once you get your foot in the door with a few landowners and you respect their property and show some appreciation for the privilege to hunt they will tell their friends and the next thing you know your phone is ringing and you have a new property to hunt.

I just picked up a new 800 acre tract that is covered up in hogs that have never been hunted. The owner decided to let me hunt because I am friends with one of his buddies and he knows I hunt alone. I went up to meet the caretaker that watches the property and we hit if off pretty good. As I was about to leave he told me the guy with the adjoining 400 acre farm had an even worse hog problem. He was going to call him and get me permission to hunt that also. I left with a key to the gate and another 400 acres to boot.

It takes persistence and time but you just have to keep at it. You also have to get used to hearing the word "NO" and not take it personal. Just say thanks anyway and move on.

Where do you live?

Thanks for the tips on getting permission to hunt.

Travis

Originally Posted By: cbosshog79The fact that a bunch of gun toting, good ol boys (who are presumably conservative) have such a liberal view of private property rights is nearly comical.

Gaining access to a property that does not belong to you for any reason is a privilege, not a right. Anyone with such an entitlement attitude would never be welcome on anything I own or have access to.

Hey, maybe I'm wrong. Maybe some of you guys would be happy if Obama issued a mandate that private property should be open to use from the public for the "greater good". But then again, surely you don't think that is a good idea...

I don't recall anybody stating a landowner should not have the right to do whatever they want with their property.

Did somebody state that?

Travis

I don't think anyone has here, but I've heard it before. Usually happens after a few beers when guys get really smart, and start thinking that those farmers are all being subsidized by the government, and that's their tax money, and they should be able to hunt anything they want.

Usually doesn't take long to make a farmer or two grumpy enough to straighten them out.

Only ones I have an issue with are those that post their own land, and then hunt all over he11 and back on the neighbor's land.

However, by the same respect, I've heard their side of the argument too. In North Dakota they used to be able to walk in and buy a Land Owner Gratis Tag, allowing them to hunt on their own land. Most of the guys however, would apply for a deer license so they could hunt the neighbors' land as well. There were several years around here, that a very LARGE number of land owners got shot down on their application and were forced to purchase a gratis tag, limiting them to hunting only on their own land. SO...YES, of course, they POSTED it!! Partly because they were not happy with Game and Fish, and partly because they weren't allowed to hunt anywhere else. I'd have done the same.

Originally Posted By: PowerfisherThis summer I had a Yellow Jacket nest starting under the eve of my house. I tried everything I could to get rid of them but had to PAY $250 to have the nest destroyed.

Mix up a good dose of Palmolive Liquid Dish washing soap and water in a Dixie cup and throw it on them. They will fall like you hit them with Gasoline.

Originally Posted By: YellowhammerInteresting that the article about "feral hogs" used a picture of a javalina. I wonder if they know the difference? I would imagine it's a file photo some intern threw together.

Originally Posted By: justin10mmHard to take an article seriously when they can't even get the picture right. [*]The focus of the article isn't the picture.[*]The author isn't responsible for the picture.[*]You can scroll the page down to hide the offending picture.[*]You have too much time on your hands if you're worried about the picture.[/list]

Originally Posted By: BricktopOriginally Posted By: justin10mmHard to take an article seriously when they can't even get the picture right. [*]The focus of the article isn't the picture.[*]The author isn't responsible for the picture.[*]You can scroll the page down to hide the offending picture.[*]You have too much time on your hands if you're worried about the picture.[/list]

It's a male thing. I have to say I'm guilty of just looking at the pictures and not reading the articles sometimes.......
drool.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gman757Originally Posted By: BricktopOriginally Posted By: justin10mmHard to take an article seriously when they can't even get the picture right. [*]The focus of the article isn't the picture.[*]The author isn't responsible for the picture.[*]You can scroll the page down to hide the offending picture.[*]You have too much time on your hands if you're worried about the picture.[/list]It's a male thing. I have to say I'm guilty of just looking at the pictures and not reading the articles sometimes.......
drool.gif
There aren't any appealing "womens" in the picture, so I didn't get too excited.

Back