Rifle building cost?

There is another cost. Time.
How long does it take to get all the parts and then how long does it take to get them all put together??????

Jack

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsThere is another cost. Time.
How long does it take to get all the parts and then how long does it take to get them all put together??????

Jack

Most of the time it takes anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsThere is another cost. Time.

Jack

Most of the time it takes anywhere from 6 months to a year.

Just like a good whiskey, time is necessary. I'm sure one could possibly run all over creation, slapping parts together. But the results, likely, wouldn't be quite as satisfactory. Jmo.

Originally Posted By: Jack RobertsThere is another cost. Time.

Jack

contact my smith rsecustomguns.com and id say he can have it in your hands in 1-2 months... if not less depending on the parts... im not sure how out of state would work but hes has done 3 rifles for me and it took him less than a month to do all 3...

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: pahntr760

Just like a good whiskey, time is necessary. I'm sure one could possibly run all over creation, slapping parts together. But the results, likely, wouldn't be quite as satisfactory. Jmo.

imo people are just running to gap, lsr, ect... because they think theres nothing better... so people have to wait.. there are realy good smiths out there that will put a rifle of the same quality for most likely cheaper than these big shot custom comps. and you get the same rifle without the logo

Originally Posted By: berger-kingOriginally Posted By: pahntr760

imo people are just running to gap, lsr, ect... because they think theres nothing better... so people have to wait.. there are realy good smiths out there that will put a rifle of the same quality for most likely cheaper than these big shot custom comps. and you get the same rifle without the logo

True enough. I've got a couple good smiths in mind when the time comes. None of which are the 'big names'.

Originally Posted By: Sqeak'emHey guys. Can I get a rough estimate for how much it would cost to have a 223AI built from scratch? Thanks

For a "normal" 700 hunting gun, I rough figure $500 a piece for the S/S action, McMillan stock, Kreiger barrel chambered, and Leupold scope.

How far you deviate up or down from the base line is up to you.......

Last ten posts are about as dead nuts as its gonna get IMO.There is alot of [beeep] good backyard smiths out there without a year long wait.

Several different ways to go. A year ago I bought a new Kimber Montana in 204, $1000, then sent it to a non-big name Smith who is very good and he trued the action (didn't have to do much. His words to me were, straightest factory action I've ever seen), then he crowned, threaded, and Chambered a Lilja #1 barrel. Then he re-pillar bedded the whole thing. Total cost........$1600. This includes the original rifle purchase price, parts and labor, and the shipping.
My instructions were to match the original barrel contour of the Kimber and match the weight. The Kimber 204 that I own weighs 6lbs. 3oz.and the Kimber in 17 Rem. he did for me weighs 6lbs. 4oz ready to hunt.

DSCF0007.jpg

Kimber17Targets.jpg

If you're wanting to build on a savage action, I can help. I just built on Stevens, 243 to 243AI.
Here is breakdown:
Stevens 200 rifle 300
Rifle basix trigger 100
Er shaw barrel 170 (got in on group buy) varmint contour 26"
Stockade woodchuck stock used 175, also bought B&C medalist...wasn't sure which one i would like. Used 200
Precision recoil lug 28
Oversized bolt handle 50 i think

Rough figures 913. Yeah not true custom, but all assembled myself. With that there is some pride of ownership.

I just finished a custom build.... holy crap it was expensive! And it took a long time to finish.

Not saying it isnt worth it, but be prepared

Last edited by a moderator:
Had one built a year ago by Defensive Edge in Rathdrum Id. mine is only a semi custom as I used my Rem. LTR .223 as the donor.

Hart, Sendero taper, fluted, 1-9tw finished at 22in. $450

Chambering, fitting and install barrel $400

Square, true and lap $225

Cerakote everything black $225 (this is optional)

Reamer/go gauge from Dave Kiff $159 (also optional but I wanted to keep the reamer and go gauge)

Trigger on this rifle was the best factory trigger I've ever had. $0 (Jewel installed, usually $225-$250) Everything else I have has a Jewel. IMO, they are the best you can buy.

Dies will vary depending on who's you buy but you can probably figure around $200ish

Custom action $900 on up. Depending on who's receiver you purchase. Jerry Stiller makes and sells one of the least expensive and BAT is probably one of the most expensive. BAT, IMO, is one of, if not, the best action money can buy but I don't think a .223AI would know the difference between a Stiller, Defiance or BAT.

Selecting a stock and how much it will cost will largely depend on what type of stock you like and want. Don't forget there will be some added cost/s though. Depending on stock type, you could have the added cost of installing pillars, $200ish. At the least you'll have around $125ish for full action bedding. If you go with a wood stock there could be added cost/s to have it finished as well.

Like a lot of things, it's all about the details so ask LOTS of questions and do your research before you give anyone your hard earned money because all those little incidental costs can add up in a hurry.

Best of luck with your build!!!

Originally Posted By: berger-king

How do we find these "realy good smiths" that do cheaper work?
Do we just pick one and send him $2500 worth of parts, and hope for the best?

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: berger-king

I found one locally that I trust, he does exceptional work. I would put his stuff on the same level as my beanland rifle. You are taking quite a chance just picking one.

Originally Posted By: fw707Originally Posted By: berger-king

Contact my smith talk to him let him no what your looking for and he will set you up...

You can get into a custom fairly cheap if you find good deals and do some basic stuff like bedding yourself.

Think there might be $1700 here with the scope.
DSC_1081.jpg

Chamber, true, and crown = $150.
Can't complain on how it shoots, either...
3 shots @ 100yds.
DSCI0014.jpg

3 shots @ 500yds - 2.6".
DSCI0013.jpg

.17rem
Trued '700
PN, Super Match, SS, '9 tw, @ 24"
McM Mnt rifle stock, ADL
Aluminum ADL trigger guard
Ti fluted bolt
Kampfire bolt knob
Cerakoted in coyote brown
Talley lw rings
Leupy 1.75-6

Bout sums it up. As for the smith, it's a secret. Super cheap and quick turn around time.

Go with Jim Briggs of Northland Shooter Supply. He was brought up earlier. I just built and F-class rig in 260AI. I had no idea what I was doing to begin with, savages are not difficult.

Jim has the parts you need, you buy everything in pieces. Just bring the barrel and action to the nearest gunsmith and he had mine ready in two days.

Turned out after talking to Jim he lives 2 miles away from me so I got the easy street and picked my parts by hand. Just the rifle cost me a little under $1200. Gunsmith work $30 I think?

Couldnt be happier and those Criterion barrels are good as gold.

Back