Anyone looking for a deal on a Flextone Echo HD?

I tried a Speco 5" horn with the Echo and it didn't seem one bit louder than the little 3" horn that's in it. Like to try a TOA just for kicks, but I don't have one.

Doggin, After I modify mine, I plan on trying it with a speco-8 and a toa610, Im going to install an audio out (imagine that) and a switch to turn off the rear cone speaker.. I will let you know my results

Originally Posted By: lowtempguruDoggin, After I modify mine, I plan on trying it with a speco-8 and a toa610, Im going to install an audio out (imagine that) and a switch to turn off the rear cone speaker.. I will let you know my results

Lowtemp, I ended up taking this Echo I have back apart and installed an audio out jack. I used the circuit (speaker wires) that went to the rear cone speaker. I completely removed the worthless cone speaker. I could see no reason to even have it on the caller. I made a disc out of plexi glass, painted it flat black, and used it to plug the hole.

Looking forward to hearing how a TOA does.

PS. I found when the front speaker (the horn) should be off according to the icon on the remote display, and I mute the aux (which was the cone speaker) I still get the sound softly playing out of the horn. If I push mute, it DOES mute. No sound anywhere. Do me a favor and let me know if yours does this also.

Doggin, I got my Echo yesterday. It is not the latest REV. mine says built 7/2011 but for what I paid for it I am not complaining. The legs stumped me for a while but I got it apart. Mine is the same as yours. you TURN OFF the front speaker and play the rear, you still get soft to low volume out of the front speaker.

LOL, yeah the legs are a bit tricky.

Ya know, it might be a good thing you didn't get one of the ones with the latest "revisions". One of the revisions may of been toning down the remote range.
smile.gif

Did you try a TOA?

As a matter of fact I did try a TOA, I left the rear speaker in place and wired in an audio out jack and a DPDT switch between the audio out and the rear speaker. To me it seemed noticiably louder with the rear speaker turned off and using the front and or the TOA. I am going to mess around with it for a few more days then sell it to fund my next project...

Echo.jpg

Last edited:
That's the same place I put the audio out jack.
smile.gif

Is there a noticeable difference between the Flextone horn and the TOA (top end volume only)?

There appears to be a 25%-35% increase in top end volume using the TOA. my test totally unscientific. Played "Adult Female Howl" with the ECHO horn. walked back 100 yards.. Then played "Adult Female Howl" with the front speaker turned off and the rear output switched to the TOA walked back 100 yards to my tin ear it seemed 25%-35% percent louder. according to my granddaughter her quote "grandpa the speaker I painted is a lot louder" Hope that helps..

Echo001.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: lowtempguru according to my granddaughter her quote "grandpa the speaker I painted is a lot louder"

LOL. Love it. And a beautiful paint job it is!

Dan, anybody can do the installation with pictures..lol. Actually it took me longer to get the legs off and the case apart then it did to add the switch, audio out jack and rewire the rear speaker. A couple things.. double check your location for the holes in the side as the battery compartment comes over pretty far. Second I prewired the switch and the plug before I installed it to save on trying to solder tiny wires down inside the case. If I can help in any way ask away or shoot me a PM

Back