Virginia public land

Have any of you guys thought of trying appomattox state forest? I was looking at the maps they have for it, and it looks to me like some of the game management areas maybe clear cuts good for calling.

I have done alot of walking around the chick. There are open areas and areas that I think might hold fox and bobcat. I just have never called out there. Also, is it legal to hunt out there at night? I know the game warden lives right there on the property.

I know you can use arimfire for small game. I use a 22 mag for squirrels, so I don't know why you couldn't for predators. I know it is not ideal for coyotes, but has alot more range than a shotgun.

I sent an email to DGIF to get the regs on the county for rifles. I will let you know. I was also thinking about trying Amelia and Powhatan WMA.

Last edited:
If I remember correctly all the WMA's are 1/2 before sunrise to 1/2 after sunset. Powhatan has some open areas but they were pretty thick with grass and briars last time I was in there. They have those areas setup of bird and rabbit hunters.

I just saw where you were from Goode. I have about 35 acres in Goode and have been trying to call in a fox or coyote but can never seem to get anything to come in.
Do you do any hunting in Goode?

Originally Posted By: ()verKillIs there an area that you can recommend that isn't private land?

I would give the WMA's a shot but there has been alot of pressure on them with deer season and small game season too. It might be worthwhile to let things settle down for a couple of weeks. Amelia and Powhatan both have some open areas but like I stated earlier they are kinda overgrown with grass and briars. If I was going to hunt either of them I would use a climber to get some elevation. It has been about 10 years since I've been to Chick WMA so I can't really comment on it. It wouldn't hurt to ride around the counrty and stop and ask some farmers for permission to hunt the worst they can say is no. I let them know that I just want to predator hunt not asking to deer hunt or anything else. I got lucky last year on a place because the guy loved to hunt rabbits and he had seen a yote with a rabbit in it's mouth the evening before. He wanted me to kill everything that would eat his rabbits.

Yeah that's what I was kinda thinking. I was also looking at trying CF Phelps too, but we'll see. Yeah I might just have to drive around and knock on some doors. Plus Coyote season on public land is coming to an end here at the end of March.

Originally Posted By: ()verKillYeah that's what I was kinda thinking. I was also looking at trying CF Phelps too, but we'll see. Yeah I might just have to drive around and knock on some doors. Plus Coyote season on public land is coming to an end here at the end of March.
========================================================================
Just remember that Fauquier county is one of the seven counties in VA that has no open fox season! You can kill foxes on private land, year 'round in VA with a written directive from the landowner, to kill foxes......otherwise you must adhere to the stated seasons and restrictions on foxes.
F1

Back