What is the effective range of a .22 LR?

I have made effective head shots with my heavy barrel m77/22 at 75 yards on woodchucks is tall grass hay fields. I suppose it would be possible to stretmch tmhose out to somewhere between 90-100 if you are veny good at trajectory comps and rangefinding. I have run my hornet out to 150yards but limit it to 125 if I can. I just don't like not knowing it is inside effective range for the chambering.

Any thing bigger than a Squirrel not over 50yds
smile.gif

I personaly would not shoot past that with any thing less than a .22mag or bigger.:)

Probably pretty much as far as you can reliably hit them.(varmints) See my thread on the Predator Hunting forum titled 'Wow you won't believe this'. I am not recommending the .22lr certainly for coyotes but the .22lr is more dangerous and capable than we often think. TTT

Originally Posted By: TnTnTnthe .22lr is more dangerous and capable than we often think. TTT

Dangerous? Perhaps

Capable?
lol.gif

Originally Posted By: HidalgoOriginally Posted By: TnTnTnthe .22lr is more dangerous and capable than we often think. TTT

Dangerous? Perhaps

Capable?
lol.gif

Very!!!

To relate a story... Years ago, my uncle was telling me about a young man sitting on a stockyard farm gate when he was struck in the forehead with an errant .22 bullet and knocked unconscious... This happened in Howard County Missouri in the mid 1950s...

In the late 1990's, I was in the lounge at the Holiday Inn in West St Louis attending the Buick owner's car rally and happened to be sitting next to a guy and we were talking about home town areas and he mentioned that he was from Howard County, next to my home county and we were exchanging names of common family knowledge and he mentioned that he had been shot there many years ago and had known my uncle... One thing led to another and he was the one sitting on the farm gate...Still carrying the bullet as it had been too dangerous to remove at that time...

It was determined that the shot had been fired from a farm located approximately a half mile away and had been totally accidental....

So, as far as range, that is a pretty good answer, but as far as being effective, I'd have to say it leaves something to be desired past normal shooting distances...

299 Lasered yards, walked it in 4 shots on a jackrabbit, thats my farthest so far. if I can see it in my scope, Simmons 22mag, I shoot. Don't care if it's 500, if I can see the bullet hit the ground and walk it in I might try it.

IMG_1816.jpg

t/c223encore.

Last edited:
I have a fair bit of experience shooting .22's. I own many guns and use .22 versions of each to keep my skill level up without spending too much money on ammo. Currently I have a revolver, 2 pistols, a semi-auto rifle, a lever action rifle, and several bolt action rifles in .22 caliber. I shoot them regularly and they account for about 90% of my total shooting. When I've gotten everything down with a .22 I'll finish my range time with a larger caliber firearm.

I'm of the opinion that the effective range of a .22 LR fired from a good rifle is about 100 yards. I've killed groundhogs at that distance on multiple occasions. I've heard many stories of people killing things at much greater distances, but do not know if these are true. If you plan on shooting a small caliber rifle at 100 yards or more, I would recommend that you practice a great deal at that distance and closer to master your aiming points. Good luck.

Why not take ethical, reasonable distant shots and leave the bad rap to people other than gun people and hunters. Wonding animals and having bullets go stray is not cool! IMO, anything over 50yds. needs a back-stop.

Back