What is the effective range of a .22 LR?

Originally Posted By: Luke Baxtert/c223, is that thing California legal?

Only by one word. Assault rifle law says semi automatic centerfire.

Also for those that think a 22 isn't much good past 100, yours isn't cause you don't, Mine is because I do.

t/c223encore.

I was told a .22 cal is a poachers weapon of choice by a game warden once. I shoot groundhogs all the time. I keep it under a 100 yards as I have found my bullets drop about 8-10 inches at 100.

its not the range but the energy. it may have enough energy to kill a groundhog but may not to kill a coyote at a certian distance. try finding a ballistic chart for the round to find the effective killing range.

They kill yotes as far away as you can put the bullet where it belongs. They may not give you DRT results, depending on how many hundreds of yards you're talking. You'er not going to beable to shoot one in the butt and have it drop like you get with a 250 but a 22LR will drop one on the spot well past 100 yards if you hit them right. Heck they drop stuff way bigger than yotes at those distances.

Originally Posted By: spiaailliThey kill yotes as far away as you can put the bullet where it belongs. They may not give you DRT results, depending on how many hundreds of yards you're talking. You'er not going to beable to shoot one in the butt and have it drop like you get with a 250 but a 22LR will drop one on the spot well past 100 yards if you hit them right. Heck they drop stuff way bigger than yotes at those distances.

This is good stuff right here...
smile.gif

I only shoot at little critters with my 22, Rabbits and squirrels. I wouldn't try a long distance shot on anything bigger than that. I'd just watch it and see what it does when I'm far away. I seen a lot of cool things in my time cause I have choose to just watch rather than shoot.

t/c223encore.

Originally Posted By: pyscodogWhy not take ethical, reasonable distant shots and leave the bad rap to people other than gun people and hunters. Wonding animals and having bullets go stray is not cool! IMO, anything over 50yds. needs a back-stop.
My Anschutz shoots under an inch at 100 yards on average, 5 shot groups. My custom shoots average 1.5 at 100. One uses Eley Tenex, the other Lapua Midas. I shoot out to 200 yards regularly, and have shot steel at 300 several times. I am using a Nightforce 5.5-22x56 on the Annie, and a Leupold 6.5-20x50 Mark 4 on the custom. 100 yards is a chip shot, and 150 yards is my limit for hares and squirrels. I don't have a problem with long shots if you actually can make them.

Originally Posted By: GCOriginally Posted By: spiaailliThey kill yotes as far away as you can put the bullet where it belongs. They may not give you DRT results, depending on how many hundreds of yards you're talking. You'er not going to beable to shoot one in the butt and have it drop like you get with a 250 but a 22LR will drop one on the spot well past 100 yards if you hit them right. Heck they drop stuff way bigger than yotes at those distances.

This is good stuff right here...
smile.gif

I wouldn't personally do it, but he is speaking the truth. The lowly .22 rimfire will penetrate at surprising long ranges. Pop both lungs on an animal, it is dead. It may run a long ways first, but cannot recover from two collapsed lungs. Sever the spinal cord, game over. A .22 can do it at long ranges, but is not the round of choice. A .22 has killed many people, cattle, pigs, bears, all the way down.

When I was a kid(mid 70's) I saw my dad shoot a yote between the eyes at 186 paces. Approximately 150 yards. He gave it to a friend who skinned it out and the bullet was half in the hide and half in the skull. Just enough to kill it. Luck Shot. Could he have done it again? Possible, but not likely. My longest shot was on a squirrel at 130 yards with 2 consecutive shots. Could I do it again. Probably not.

TONY

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GCNevermind...

Some people you just can't reach.

So, you get what we had here last week.

which is the way he wants it.

Well....He gets it!

I don't like it....anymore than you do.

Chupa
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: darius14Thinking about using mine for some varmit hunting. DARIUS- I HAVE HAD GOOD LUCK ON FOXES, NOT SO GOOD ON BOBCAT COYOTE WITH A .22LR. SHORTER THAN MY 6.5-284 AND LONGER THAN MY .177 RWS.

Back