Your favorite round for hogs?

Originally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Chupathingy
I've killed truckloads of 200-250lb'ers with a 55gr Barnes TSX and lately have been using the Winchester 64gr XT.

Chupa

Don't the truck drivers get pissed ?

No! Oddly enough, truck drivers for what ever reason seam to prefer 200-250 lb'ers.

Chupa

Pigs or women?

Originally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote:I use catahoulas for followup shots

What kind of ammo you use in a Catahoula?

Laff'n .... I wanted to ask,but did not.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Yellowhammer Quote:I use catahoulas for followup shots

What kind of ammo you use in a Catahoula?

Laff'n .... I wanted to ask,but did not.
laugh.gif

6.8 SPCA or .50 BAY'AWOLF.

Chupa

They'll eat anything, it's the ejection that's dangerous!
I like shooting pigs, but I always feel like I wasted a lot of fun when the gun goes off.
Of course, I've seen some truck drivers with 250lbers that would scare my bulldog.

Tonester,
the TSX bullets have performed well for me, as have Nosler partitions. Ballistic tips have been a little iffy penetration wise on larger hogs in 223 and 300blk, thats why we carry a catahoula or two when we use the night vision in the wheat fields. I dislike leaving anything to suffer or waste and we try to let the kids and firsttimers shoot, so we get some marginal hits at times. The dogs help us recover these.
The Barnes bullets are my favorites now. The tipped bullets and the flat base hollowpoints both shoot well in my ar and bolt guns.
I use 200gr hard cast or FMJ in the 10mm.

Last edited:
I shoot Remington 150gr SP out my R-25

Hornady 55gr V-max out my R-15

Hornady 110gr from my 6.8

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TXCOONDOGOriginally Posted By: ChupathingyOriginally Posted By: Tim NeitzkeOriginally Posted By: Chupathingy
I've killed truckloads of 200-250lb'ers with a 55gr Barnes TSX and lately have been using the Winchester 64gr XT.

Chupa

Don't the truck drivers get pissed ?

No! Oddly enough, truck drivers for what ever reason seam to prefer 200-250 lb'ers.

Chupa

Pigs or women?
Can't tell the difference.
thumbup.gif

Not an expert but I've killed four pigs with my 450 Bushmaster and it has been great. BTW, that's four hogs with three bullets. With the price of ammo anymore, and now living on a fixed income........
rolleyes.gif

My favorite all time is the 25-06 so I guess it would be my favorite hog round. Most ant flavor but really like the 80 gr Barnes ttsx

I too like the 125 gr Sierra Bullets in a 308. Funny but I have a bunch of 125gr Ballistic Tips and these work very poor. The Ballistic tips splash and the Hog runs off. Sierra penetrates just right.

Favorite is 30-06 150gr Hornady GMX in my Model 70
I've also used 7.62x54r with 123gr Hornady Soft Points in my sporterized Mosin.
Just picked up a Browning BAR in 7-mag and I'm itchin to kill something with it. Have a feeling it might be my new favorite

[/quote]A customer at my gun counter one day said that he shot a hog(unknown weight) 3 times inside a hundred yards with a "7 Mag" and the hog never flinched. I wasn't there to see it, but if that is true.......

Chupa [/quote]

Well, if he shot the 7mm and it ran away, he missed the pig. I have seen them shot at close range with a 7mm mag (have old video somewhere), using Nosler ballistic tip (do not recall the bullet weight 130g??). In slo-mo, the hog just swelled up, deflated and rolled over on its side dead as a mackerel. I once shot one with my FAL .308 loaded with 165g Ballistic Tips. One shot at 5 ft, perfect broadside hit in the shoulder. Entry wound was about the size of a quarter. Bullet exited the other shoulder. The pig never flinched, and took off running. He was dead, but he just did not know it yet. Ran about 30 paces and died. His reaction was a bit of a surprise. Upon autopsy both lungs were shot out and the entire top of the heart. They are tough beasts.

Irish

Originally Posted By: Irish26Originally Posted By: ChupathingyA customer at my gun counter one day said that he shot a hog(unknown weight) 3 times inside a hundred yards with a "7 Mag" and the hog never flinched. I wasn't there to see it, but if that is true.......

Chupa Well, if he shot the 7mm and it ran away, he missed the pig.Uh, I think that was the gist of his post; i.e., skepticism.
rolleyes.gif

The "beasts" aren't that "tough." They're a thin-skinned mammal with a brain, heart, lungs, and endoskeleton. Nothing complicated about that.

This one was felled by a .223 loaded with a 55-grain Sierra 1455 BlitzKing traveling at 3011 FPS. (About 1106 LB-FT of muzzle energy.) Distance was about 100 yards; the hog humped up and ran 20 or so yards before piling up in tall grass.
BigBoar_zps8bd609f3.jpg

This one went down with one shot from a Winchester 45-grain JHP 3600 FPS Wal-Fart "value pack" .223 factory load. (About 1294 LB-FT of muzzle energy.) Distance was slightly over 100 yards. He jumped and ran a very short distance before piling up in not-so-tall grass.
SpottedBoar_zps12cb85b8.jpg

This one went down after being hit with a 7x57mm loaded with a Speer 145-grain 1629 Hot-Cor loaded to (I think) 2600 FPS. (About 2174 LB-FT of muzzle energy.) He went down immediately, got up, made his way back in the brush about 20 feet or so from where he was shot, where he collapsed -- very dead.
BlackBoar_zps9c795a38.jpg

It doesn't take a freight train to kill a hog, nor does it take a lot of complications or slide rule calculations. As long as I can hit the target and have a reasonable expectation of penetrating a vital organ, I don't sweat the rest of the details.

Back