XLR250 Cold Weather Problems

JackinDistress,
I had already checked into the CREE operating temps and I should be fine, thanks for the link. I have other LED headlamps and such that have worked flawless down to -50ºF temperatures before as well. I'm continuing my cold weather tests and have a message into Elusive Wildlife about getting a replacement cap for the thing, since I believe the problem is within that cap.

I used the synthetic grease on mine and seems to be doing OK now.

I have 3 of these things. I bought my first one back in early fall, and the other 2 after Thanksgiving. The 2 new lights have given me the flickering problem, the first one has been dead reliable.

The first one has a brass cap over the spring which encloses the spring and contacts the battery. The newer ones have just the bare spring up against the battery.
The cap also keeps the spring from buggering up the bottom of the battery and would give a greater contact area. Also, the spring on the old one is longer than the newer ones.

Wouldn't think that there would be any difference in the connection, but I am going to try to come up with a cap of some sorts that covers the spring on the newer lights.

Originally Posted By: BedfordQDMI used the synthetic grease on mine and seems to be doing OK now.

I have 3 of these things. I bought my first one back in early fall, and the other 2 after Thanksgiving. The 2 new lights have given me the flickering problem, the first one has been dead reliable.

The first one has a brass cap over the spring which encloses the spring and contacts the battery. The newer ones have just the bare spring up against the battery.
The cap also keeps the spring from buggering up the bottom of the battery and would give a greater contact area. Also, the spring on the old one is longer than the newer ones.

Wouldn't think that there would be any difference in the connection, but I am going to try to come up with a cap of some sorts that covers the spring on the newer lights.

If it isn't working like it should I would contact the company and see if they will replace the cap with one like your older light has. If a guy has to work on them himself he might as well buy one direct from China and not expect any warranty support.

my xlr 100 is bad about flickering after its been on for a few minutes. not sure what would be causing this problem, its not heat, the head isn't even warm to the touch when it starts doing it.

I contacted Elusive Wildlife Tech about a replacement cap. That seems to be the issue, because I can jumper from the battery to the aluminum threads and it doesn't flicker one bit. I agree that having to do this much work on a fairly expensive light shouldn't be necessary.

Back