Wisconsin coyote hunting

Cody M

Has anyone been shootin any coyotes in southern wisconsin???

was out today and didnt have any responses... does the weather play a big part in how the coyotes react??

and would i have more luck hunting at night???

kinda new to it so thanks for any advice /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smiliesmack.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/bowingsmilie.gif

Last edited:
Not much luck on coyotes here in west central wisconsin, they run them with dogs pretty hard around here. I do all of my hunting at night to get away from the road traffic,snowmobiles etc.. I've taken 5 grey fox this year which matches my total for last year. Only my second year of calling and I'm having a ball anyway dispite my success.

River Runner, Just wondering what you mean by " can't legally hunt at night". Wisconsin law clearly states that you can hunt without hunting hour restrictions except during the regular gun season. I've also verified this with one of the local CO's in Frederick. His interpritation is that you can use lights at the point of kill,ie.. heard the animal come in, but use the light to verify animal type,fox,raccoon,bobcat,coyote,neibors dog etc.. If it's a bobcat or coyote he says you must turn the light off, also no scanning of the field or woods is allowed. I've shot all of my fox with an optronics light under my shotgun which aids in identification.

Rob 424 is correct. We CAN hunt coyote & fox at night within the light restriction he mentioned. I hate snow BUT I miss it badly when wanting to hunt at night with moon light. It's surprising how bright it can be on full moon (or close) nights with snow cover.

Been slow around here as well. With this full moon the last few days, some snow on the ground would have made for better night hunting conditions.

I hunt in N.E. Wisconsin, went out the other night at midnight and played around until 4:00 am with NO luck. Only got one to bark back.

I have actually shot more Yotes mid morning than at night. I believe more come in at night but are harder to spot and make it down wind and leave.

About two weeks ago one set got three to come in, but all three got away without a shot being fired --- they realy make you earn them around here!!!!

Cody M...yes I have hunted the Vernon Marsh. I live in Mukwonago. I have not had any success there. Lot of people traffic, just like Tichigan area...too many people walking around. I prefer hunting private land. Much more successful.

Hi Guys,

I did some digging into the light shooting issue in WI. Here is what I found.

2005 WISCONSIN ACT 57 (AKA 2005 Assembly Bill 93) was enacted December 16, 2005 with a publication date of December 30, 2005.

What this act did was to amend statute 29.314(4)(B)2 to read; To a person who possesses a flashlight or who uses a flashlight at the point of kill while hunting on foot raccoons, foxes, coyotes, or other unprotected animals during the open season for the animals hunted.

So my understanding is that a light can now be used at point of kill (Date of enactment: December 16, 2005).

It would probally be wise to print a copy of "2005 WISCONSIN ACT 57" and have it with if you are going to use a light to shoot a yote ---- just in case your local DNR hasn't got the "word" yet.

Has anyone eles checked into this????

WE need to get a petition going here in WI for the full use of lights while hunting predators. We also must get this B.S. deer season back to where it was. There is no need to hunt for 3 months all that does if screw us predator hunters and needlessly destroy our deer herd. If the insurance companies would quit shelling money out to the DNR we would be able to do some good with our herd but IT IS AN INSURANCE THING. CWD has never killed anyone!!!! But the large deer herd has wrecked a lot of cars. Explain that /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused1.gif

If anyone on this forum can help or guide us WI folks in amending the light rule please post or PM me.

AS for the coyote hunting it has been Terriable
I saw 4 on Saturday 1 dead on the road in KY,2 in IL and one dead down by Janesville /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif

I've gotta agree on the light deal. I just moved here and that "at point of kill" rule is so vague its pitiful. They ought to make the use of lights legal or just make them illegal instead of leaving it a gray area open to interprtation. Just my 2 cents.

22magman... i live in mukwonago too...
about 1 mile from the vernon marsh ... thats awesome that theres someone from mukwonago on here too.

I live pretty close to you guys as well. I'm in New Berlin. I usually hunt down around Eagle, but not much luck. Are either of you going to LBL next month? I'll be driving down. This will be my first LBL hunt. Last year I went to Globe and had a amazing time. PM me if either of you want to do a hunt sometime.

Quote:
Hi Guys,I did some digging into the light shooting issue in WI. Here is what I found.

Unseen, thanks big time! I havn't seen this in any media, the DNR must not have done a press release on this one. I know that they HATE IT when the legislature gets involved with making or changing game laws. This is GREAT NEWS. I have made a link to the legislature web site and act 57 that you can read by clicking here: coyote night hunting in WI

As far as "the point of kill" goes, someone said it is vague, and I totally agree. It is so vague that I beleive there is no way to reasonably interpret it. There has never, as far as I know, been an explanation of what "the point of kill" is by the DNR, the courts, or any other agency. So my simple understanding is that it is one of those laws that is uninforcable. Has anyone ever heard of a citation being written for the violation of this law? Did it hold up in court?

My interprtation of "the point of kill" is maybe diffrent than yours. I consider that if I'm in the woods, with a loaded gun, and a predator call running, with a furbearer potentially comming, I'm at "the point of kill." I hope thats how a CO or the court would view it as well.

After all how can SOMEONE ELSE tell you when YOU are at the point of kill. Isn't the hunter himself is the only one who knows when he's "at the point of kill"?

Hey defoxer,

Years back when I first read/learned about "point of kill" I interpreted it the same way ----- the location of the hunter, not the animal. I thought that once set up and stationary you were at "the point of kill". It also seems logical to me that this was the "intent" of the law. This would prevent someone from randomly walking around and "shinning" fields which is what I believe the law was meant to prevent. Somewhere along the line it got interpreted differently and stuck. I may be way off thinking this way since I am BIASED tworard one side. If they only wanted you to shine at the animal they should have stated "at animal at time of kill" then there would be alot less guessing (for both the hunter and the Wardens).

I have not heard of any court cases ref. this, would be something worth looking into though.

Well that was my $.02

Coyote hunting has been miserable around here too this year.

Bad part is i hear them carrying on at night, but they won't respond to a call...

Unseen, that's sounds like how I first interpreted the light rule. But I have also heard that you can only use the light to confirm the identity of the incoming citter and then must turn it off before shooting.

Hey Wislnwings,

According to "2005 WISCONSIN ACT 57" they can now be hunted with a light the same way as raccoon and fox. No more need to turn the light off before the shot.

I called one in this morning but it came in on my right side and couldn't get the move on him,but he'll be there for later...I think the lack of snow and COLD have made the entrees easier for them to get but with it covered up with snow they may just come in more..

Back