Wind direction

In my mind a 5-10 mph wind is a calm day, though I suppose I should have expressed myself more carefully. Regarding scent, as long as conditions are relatively calm, I usually don't concern myself much with it, other than trying to be downwind from my quarry if possible (often it isn't). When I first started chasing predators I was a fanatic about scent: I washed my clothes in scent free detergent, hung them outside to air for several days before a hunt, used cover scent, etc. But after trying it both ways, I couldn't tell that it made any difference. I know many seasoned varmint hunters are religious about it, though at least in north Arkansas it doesn't seem to matter.
Thanks for clarifying on “calm” conditions. As far as scent control goes, I don’t do much. I mean I don’t go out smelling like I swam in a gas tank or anything. Other than maybe scent neutralizer on my rubber boots I don’t give it a whole lot of attention otherwise. They’re going to smell you if given the chance.

Like AWS said, I try to get a backer of some kind, even with a crosswind. You called in more coyotes that you never saw, we all do. Like anything else experience is the best teacher, things will fall into place. Calling after a fresh snow, then taking a recon walk around will sometimes show you a better way to hunt a particular piece of ground.

Back