Will coyotes eat a hole gut pile?

HEISEL

So I killed a buck on Monday and left the gut pile with the hide and spine next to where my truck was parked and when I came back the next night the meat that was left on the spine was about 50% of what it was but the strange part was that the whole gut pile was gone. Not a single thing left. Just a grease spot where it was. Now I know that they will eat the liver and some other stuff but the stomach and intestintines? Is this normal?

I can't tell you for sure but one of my hunters shot a doe the other day, around 4:30pm, and by the time we found her (around 7pm) she was COMPLETELY devoured, including the guts. Just a few scraps of intestine tangled in some brush and cactus! It all happened about 200 yards from where he was sitting! Looks like I have a LOT more work to do, after deer season!

If there are multiple coyotes it doesn't take long. I shot a hog with a bow that weighed about 70lbs on a full moon about 2:00AM and at daylight when I went back to look for it the only thing that was left was the spinal cord and it was gnawed clean. The hog only ran 30 yards from the feeder too.

A lot of hunters think when they can't find an animal that they shot, that the animals goes to waste. Nothing is wasted in nature. we just need to realize we are part of the system, not the whole system.

Between the coyotes, foxes, coons, birds etc. Short work is made of a carcass. Even the beetles get in the chow line.

Ive put my camera on gut piles before. Yotes, foxes, birda, and some other critters always have them gone within 2 days. One time I shot a deer at 5pm and the gut pile was gone by noon the next day.

Possums,Racoons,Black Birds...Bobcats,You name it they all get in on the Meal!

As No Off Season mentioned....about the only thing I've seen working on a Coyote Carcass is Buzzards!

Ive skinned coyotes and put them in my pre-existing bait piles with deer meat and whatever else, it takes longer to disappear than deer bones but something eats it.

We put a trail camera on a gut pile this year, hoping to see some coyotes or wolves. There are lots of coyotes in the area, we had fresh snow and when you would walk around you would see more coyote tracks than deer tracks. The only animals we captured on the camera where crows, ravens, magpies, and a hawk. 15 minutes after the hawk was photgraphed, there was a hunter standing over the gutpile. After examaning the photo, we could see the hawk laying there with his wings spread out. The guy shot the hawk. And this was on private property and we were the only ones allowed to be on that property during hunting season. Kind of disappointed there were no coyotes captured on the camera. But all traces of the gut pile were gone within 16 hours.

Killed a cow elk last year. Crows devoured the entire gut pile in less than three hours. All that was left was a large blood stain in the packed snow.

I would say whatever finds it first. Last year my brother shot a mulie buck. After taging ,ageing, and skinning. Guts and leftovers were taken to gut pile. Witch is with 500 yards of camp at a old dump pile. Because of the lay out of the lease. Meat was stored in freezer. Head and cape were placed in empty large container. The next morning it was found being drug by coyote. And returned to camp.

Its been four or five years ago I had skinned a big bore Coon in the back yard and had laid the body about 75yds from my office window so I could shoot a crow next morning. Didn't stake it down because I had 4' chain link fence around, so no way anything could take it. Looked out the next day and it was gone, I looked around the whole yard nothing. Im assuming a Coyote had jumped the fence and got him.

I shot a buck 2 season's ago with my bow in Michigan UP. The next day was the opening on rifle season and I sat at the same stand. I watch 4 different red fox's for the next two days run back and forth eating the gut pile. Took day days and it was gone. No coyote tracks around.

I was making my way to a set two days ago when I walked upon a deer carcass that another hunter dumped on public land. I was amazed to see the number of song birds that were on it, eating the remains.

Around here a gut pile doesn't generally survive the remainder of the day much less overnight. Between the crows, buzzards, coyotes, foxes, possums, and who knows the only thing left within a few hours is a packed down blood stained area of leaves with a central pile of leftover green rumen contents.

You'd be amazed at how quick a bunch of crows will pick over a carcass. See it all the time around here. Bears get a lot of gut piles here during deer season too. Some places I hunt in the mountains will have the guts eaten within a few hours with bear crap all around them. We've even had a doe stolen right next to the truck by a bear. They'll pick them up and drag them off if not attended.

Someone left a gut pile along side of the road a few days ago where I walk the dog. This morning it was gone. There were fox, coyote, racoon, bobcat, crow, and chickadee tracks in the snow where it used to be.

Everything will get in on the action including coons (as you've said before) if the coyotes let them. Most of the time it will appear the whole carcass was eaten but a lot of the time the coyotes will just drag it to to their dens for supper later.

Back