Why no love for the 55 gr a soft point?

Originally Posted By: steve garrettI have not shot a coyote with the1365 at 223 speeds, have shot a lot at 22-250 speeds . In 2015 I did Shoot the sierra 1330 which is the 50 grain version. I thought they were a little too hard at ar 15 speeds. I also don't like that the tips get really dinged up if you load and unload them all the time like is typical with coyote stands and an ar. I have been having better luck with the 50 sierra blitz king at 3300 fps. Less finishing shots. Would go with the nbts but for some reason they have not shot well for me pushed fast from 3 different ar barrels. I don't care about fur all I want is a dead coyote and not to need a finishing shot all the time. so that is my goal when selecting bullets.

You may want to try the Sierra 55g BTHP, they shot very well in three AR colts that I had, 7 twist of course.

these kinds of threads are always interesting.
smile.gif

I don't know why others don't shoot them, but I never got real good accuracy of of them (Hornady 55gr sp) with my rifles in the past. That, and I normally hunt with a SBR and wanted something that'd expand at lower velocities. Nosler ballistic tips and Sierra TMKs worked so well that I never needed to look elsewhere. I have tried other bullets for no other reason than curiosity.

As long as its accurate and expands, I'm satisfied.

I could really care less about b.c. that's why I chose the hornady soft point. There are very very very few situations in my area where seeing a coyote past 200 yards is possible anyway

my current hunting load for my Colt is 55gr BT. The Hornady is less than 1/2 the cost. I'm not currently shooting enough for it to matter, but this has be curious. I may pick up some & just see how they group compared to the BT's just for grins & giggles.

Originally Posted By: Redleg84I don't know why others don't shoot them, but I never got real good accuracy of of them (Hornady 55gr sp) with my rifles in the past. That, and I normally hunt with a SBR and wanted something that'd expand at lower velocities. Nosler ballistic tips and Sierra TMKs worked so well that I never needed to look elsewhere. I have tried other bullets for no other reason than curiosity.

You may want to try this load:

New Lake City brass
cci 450-very important for accuracy
25.2-27.0g of Benchmark, stop where you see pressue
Seat the bullets to kiss the lands
55g Hornady
Remington 700 bolt gun load

Bushmaster bull bbl stainless, with 6.5x20 shoots 24-25.2g into tiny groups with the 55g Hornady...AMAZING!

Remington sps stainless 223 with 27g of benchmark, cci 450, bullet kissing lands is 3/8" and under, 3500 fps
Work up to this load in your rifle, Rem's are 12 twist, 8 and9" twist will jack up the pressure and you may not be able
to approach this load. 55g Sierra lead tip blitz blows a coyote all to pieces with this load, 12and 14 Slow twist only.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Redleg84I don't know why others don't shoot them, but I never got real good accuracy of of them (Hornady 55gr sp) with my rifles in the past. That, and I normally hunt with a SBR and wanted something that'd expand at lower velocities. Nosler ballistic tips and Sierra TMKs worked so well that I never needed to look elsewhere. I have tried other bullets for no other reason than curiosity.

Again, cci 450 made the benchmark load shrink dramatically, the thick cup primer will take some real pressure also.

55g Sierra Blitz lead tip at 3500 is simply unreal in how it kills fast, chucks, jackrabbits, coyotes, p. dogs. You get penetration with great explosive benefits on the inside...best of both worlds. I don't know how this bullet would react to a fast twist, I shot thousands in 12 and 14 twists. Accuracy of this 55g blitz lead tip is something you will just have to see for yourself...Sierra quality control in jacket uniformity is worth paying for.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: liliysdadOriginally Posted By: Lazerus

Your logic is flawed. It makes PERFECT sense to buy an activity specific bullet. That is why they make them.

69 gr match kings are GREAT for banging steel at longer distances, but horrible for coyotes.

Yet Amax, Vmax and Berger VLD are great for both. I would much rather have a high BC, accurate, consistent bullet that kills than a super effective killer that shoots OK, and falls apart at anything past 300yd. High BC "target" bullets are very efficient killers at any range.

Everyone's priorities are different...I have 6 or 7 thousand 55gr SPs that have been sitting on my shelf for years, while I buy through better bullets.

My point was called an "analogy"; which was promptly supported by all the posts that followed(except yours).

You made the statement that BC is better. That statement is flawed. It was flawed when you wrote it and still flawed. It is great that you have bullets that work for both long distance and hunting. That does not make those bullets "best" or even "better" at either task.

I can drive an suv off road and I can drive that same suv for commuting in town. That does not make that suv "best" or even better" at either task than a task specific vehicle.

It is the same with bullets. It is the same with ANYTHING.

I'd like to know how the 55 grain sp do with the benchmark. I just loaded 10 rounds starting with 23.5 grains of benchmark and 10 rounds with 24 grains of benchmark. I haven't tested them yet,so curious how yours does.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanOriginally Posted By: steve garrettI have not shot a coyote with the1365 at 223 speeds, have shot a lot at 22-250 speeds . In 2015 I did Shoot the sierra 1330 which is the 50 grain version. I thought they were a little too hard at ar 15 speeds. I also don't like that the tips get really dinged up if you load and unload them all the time like is typical with coyote stands and an ar. I have been having better luck with the 50 sierra blitz king at 3300 fps. Less finishing shots. Would go with the nbts but for some reason they have not shot well for me pushed fast from 3 different ar barrels. I don't care about fur all I want is a dead coyote and not to need a finishing shot all the time. so that is my goal when selecting bullets.

You may want to try the Sierra 55g BTHP, they shot very well in three AR colts that I had, 7 twist of course.

a couple years ago I ground every 22 cal bullet I had to see what they looked like internally. without question every sierra bullet I cut open had the thickest jackets. about twice the thickness of the vmaxes. IMO in 22 caliber Sierra has you covered from top to bottom on coyote bullets. running a fast 22-250 try the 50 and 55 grain soft points. running something medium go with the HP's running slower yet like a 20" or less barreled ar 15, then go with the 50 or 55 grain blitzking.

These posts are great for bringing out various hunters experiences.

RPMs are highly underrated in getting a particular bullet to shed it's jacket.

Benchmark loves the cci 450 primer.

read my posts on benchmark and 55's.

Antimony of the core is of a major importance! Cores are not pure lead!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Stu Farishno one is shooting the Hornady 55gr SP's? I used to load & hunt with them in some other calibers, they were pretty accurate & effective on game but have never tried the .224 version.

I have been using that bullet since the early 1970s. Great performance and great price. I buy them in bulk from Midsouth as their Varmint Nightmare bullets. They sell for about $42/500. Every rifle I have used them in has shot accurately.

Originally Posted By: ackleymanThese posts are great for bringing out various hunters experiences.

RPMs are highly underrated in getting a particular bullet to shed it's jacket.

Benchmark loves the cci 450 primer.

read my posts on benchmark and 55's.

Antimony of the core is of a major importance! Cores are not pure lead!

How about Benchmark and Remington 7.5's?

Originally Posted By: steve garrett
a couple years ago I ground every 22 cal bullet I had to see what they looked like internally. without question every sierra bullet I cut open had the thickest jackets. about twice the thickness of the vmaxes. IMO in 22 caliber Sierra has you covered from top to bottom on coyote bullets. running a fast 22-250 try the 50 and 55 grain soft points. running something medium go with the HP's running slower yet like a 20" or less barreled ar 15, then go with the 50 or 55 grain blitzking.

I suppose that's part of why/how Sierra justifies charging double what everyone else does for the same bullet. OK, I don't want to start a war. No one is arguing the quality Sierra pumps out. It's good to see people like you have done the actual research.

I have a few thousand 55gr SP, both Speer and Hornady with cannelure. Can't beat them for the price. I grabbed them just for some insurance in case things get tight in the future, will always have something to shoot
crazy.gif

I've liked the 55gr Nosler BT in my 223, and one with the 60gr NBT died quick too. I enjoy trying this and that, my shelf in reloading room proves it!
scared.gif

Originally Posted By: Matlock
I suppose that's part of why/how Sierra justifies charging double what everyone else does for the same bullet. OK, I don't want to start a war. No one is arguing the quality Sierra pumps out. It's good to see people like you have done the actual research.

What the heck are you talking about? What bullet does Sierra charge double for over a comparable Hornady or Nosler, or...?

Back