Which is more important to you

Originally Posted By: DAAOriginally Posted By: AWSIf you follow all the rules, you'll miss out on some great hunting.

We cold roll a lot. New country, random time of day, wind is blowing whichever way it's blowing and we're travelling whichever way we're travelling.

Much of the time, if we kept looking for that awesome setup, we'd just drive, and drive, and drive. But we don't, we look for any edge we can get. And usually, when the wind isn't in our favor - it's coyote sign, combined with terrain features, that trigger us to make a stand. Even when the wind is completely wrong.

- DAA

Yup, exactly.

In the dez where I hunt the wind can swirl and change direction multiple times per stand. If you're determined to play the wind every stand you're gonna drive by a lot of stands that will get you a coyote.

I always try to control the things I have control of, wind aint one of them. I like to see. I like the sun at my back. I go from there.

I wish this forum had "likes". I just liked Tawnoper's post.

Which, honestly, most of his posts I feel like he's saying what I would have said.

- DAA

i prefer to call them in within a hundred years for a sure thing. But.. There's always the ones that just won't come to calls, and they'll lay up over across the field and look at ya, but won't budge. With this kind, I'll move on them, and get into somewhat reasonable range where have a higher percentage shot. I do love seeing a coyote fold up standing where he thinks he's safe..

Mostly close here in the NE they stay in the thick stuff. Open hardwoods might get you a 75 yd shot, but its mostly shotgun. Even carrying my drilling I seldom fire the rifle.

Tell us about your drilling.

They are, in my mind about the perfect predator calling weapon for forests and .thick cover as you always have the rifle barrel for that one that just hangs out there beyond shotgun range.

Its a Kreighoff Plus, 16X16X 7X65R. 2005 Mfg. I load !oz Nickle plated BB, and have used #1Buck a couple times. 2X7 Leupold scope. It came with two 222Rem full length tubes, but I haven't hunted with them yet. I have only used the rifle tube twice, as in the thick woods here shots are close. Still deer season here, and trying to fill a second tag, so haven't been calling yet. About perfect for a lot of hunting in New England, where legal. Haven't scored a deer yet, but took a bear in 2019 in Maine. I did take two deer with my J.P. Sauer Hammer drilling 8X57JR back in the 80's. Always enjoy your posts and pictures.

Yes came with them . Ordered by the previous owner who never used the gun I don't believe. I sighted them in to same POI as the rifle tube, but with both installed It weighs about 12 pounds. Planning to try it with one in the left bbl this winter. It requires changing the extractor because of cuts made. It also came with a 22WMR tube about 8"long that fits only in the right bbl. but not with the extractor for the 222 tubes. Complicated like everything German, but a fun gun to play around with. Love the way the tang "safety" actually cocks the hammers, makes it the safest gun to carry loaded, but uncocked

Back