What bullet does a Tikka 1 in 8 twist 22-250 like?

I have a Tikka Compact, 22-250-1-8 twist, 20 inch barrel, I started with H380, 55 gr. Hornady bullets, they worked well, jumped them out a little, they worked better, I load 50 gr. v-max, 52, Nosler hp, and Speer 52 gr. target match, Sierra HPBT 52, and just finished a few 55gr. Nosler Varmageddon...Besides H380, Varget, Staball Match, ...I like working up different loads, powder, primer, bullets and ogive, you have to do a little searching to find that sweet spot on your rifle, keeping a log is great!! When January arrives, I stay on 55gr. Hornady, either lead tip or v-max. When those males get tough from running all night etc. I like maximum fire power and have good success with the Hornady bullet. Varget is my go-to powder for that time of year. Just curious as to which model you shortened the barrel on, you will figure it out, Tikka's shoot!! Like the fellows mentioned above, try different stuff.

I have a Tikka Compact, 22-250-1-8 twist, 20 inch barrel, I started with H380, 55 gr. Hornady bullets, they worked well, jumped them out a little, they worked better, I load 50 gr. v-max, 52, Nosler hp, and Speer 52 gr. target match, Sierra HPBT 52, and just finished a few 55gr. Nosler Varmageddon...Besides H380, Varget, Staball Match, ...I like working up different loads, powder, primer, bullets and ogive, you have to do a little searching to find that sweet spot on your rifle, keeping a log is great!! When January arrives, I stay on 55gr. Hornady, either lead tip or v-max. When those males get tough from running all night etc. I like maximum fire power and have good success with the Hornady bullet. Varget is my go-to powder for that time of year. Just curious as to which model you shortened the barrel on, you will figure it out, Tikka's shoot!! Like the fellows mentioned above, try different stuff.
Thanks for sharing that. It sounds encouraging, I was worried the 1:8 twist wouldn't work well with the 50-55 weight range.

I usually shoot factory ammo. But my step dad reloads so I can have him
Help me work up a load if needed.

Yea I’m gonna try 50 grain next. I’ve heard from a couple people that the 50 grain shot better in the 1 in 8 twist and the 55 grain not so good. So maybe 50 will be the way
Reload the new hornady 62gr ELD-vt. 8 twist in a 250 will work for them

Back