Waterfowl Shotguns -- Benelli vs. Winchester Super-X

Ramjet,
The year before last I put in over 60 days in the field with my bennelli, and over 30 days last season hunting in everything from corn to river bottoms. Our river pit is buried in sand, so naturally I am constantly cleaning sand out of my gun. Never had a single problem with it cycling. In the corn field, I deal with 20 mph winds blowing fine black dirt into my gun, and again, never once has it failed to cycle. I don't think the sand in Texas is any worse than the sand in Nebraska (trust me I lived in TX for four years). All of the other waterfowlers I have hunted with over the last five years ALL use Benelli's, and as I stated earlier in this thread, only one of them had problems with his because he was too lazy to clean the damned thing, and used shitty old ammo. ANY gun will malfunction if you don't do your part to properly maintain it. Novas are the only ones I have seen have problems. Hats off to any of you guys that shoot Mossbergs, they are decent guns. But they aren't even in the same league as a Benelli. They are pretty durable though. Good enough from police and military use. I own and shoot a Benelli and that is what I have seen.

Wow! I had no idea that Benelli was wrought with those kinds of problems! I don't know why I haven't seen even one of those problems over 12 seasons of owning one, or 14 seasons since my best friend started hunting with one. Maybe 12,000 rounds isn't enough to really expose some of those "subtle" problems. Maybe the sand in Texas is worse than the sand from a sandbar in the middle of the Mississippi river. Maybe that gumbo mud in the irrigation ditch in that field south of Brinkley where we made an 800 yard sneak on several thousand snows mostly on our knees, wasn't like pudding after all, even though there was nothing visible on all four Benellis other than mud. I guess all those days I've gone six for six on ducks was a result of a mal-shooting Benelli compensating for my inability to aim. (BTW, I am a terrible shot and am the first to admit it) Oh, well, good luck!

Blake

THANK YOU PREDATOR MASTER(s)!

Been all over Shotgun World asking this question with no replies and here you guys give it to me. I now feel GREAT about my Christmas from Marsha to me with a little guidance from me.

Benelli M2 w/ 21" barrel and mag extension for upland bird critters. If I caint get 'em in 7 shots, the flying hulls are bound to bring something down. Being in the Blue Quail hunting capitol of the world, the word is the 21" barrel is the cat's meow on quail.

I'm not a waterfowler, so have no experience with the conditions there. A couple of years ago, my son and I were considering upgrading our shotguns after shooting my son-in-laws new Beretta 391. We went to a sporting clays course and rented a Benelli and shot the course alternating between the 391 and the Benelli. All three of us hit better with the 391, and all liked the feel of the gas gun better than the barrel shuffle gun. Just couldn't quite get used to the "double shuffle". Now this is just personal preference and lots of guys like them and the old A-5's too. We've had no problems with the 391's we bought, but they are only used for pheasant hunting and clays, hardly the conditions you see in the world of waterfowling.

It might be a good idea to find a sporting clays course that rents shotguns, try the ones you're interested in and let that help with your decision. Hands on experience should be worth more than internet talk. Shotgun fit and feel is a very individual matter.

Last edited:
Dang, I reckon I got lucky on that fox I dropped this morning with my Benelli! He probably wobbled into the shot as he responded to the call, yeah, that's it. Just like all the others... Aren't the Marines using Benelli's over in the big sand box doing some hunting of their own? Better notify all those Federal, State, County, and Municipal Law Enforcement agencies to immediately trade their Benelli's in for sumpin' else before they all get hurt. Me? Think I'll keep my two.

Got 2 SBE's and a Montefeltro - like 'em all. I haven't rung them out totally yet, but the feel and adjustability of the stocks is a feature all guns should have. Had an old friend that abused the hell outta his Benelli's and they just kept on ticking! I wanna sell the one SBE (don't really need 2!) if you're interested. Email @ mjbrown@REMOVETHISepix.com

Hey , guys I'm not down on your Benelli's I was just reporting what I have seen .I've hunted ducks all my life in the Mississippi River Delta in Arkansas, Mississippi ,and West Tennessee and have never encountered the problems I saw in West Texas .The guy that started this thread ask for opinions which is all I was offering .I have no personal experience with Benelli's other than helping my buddy clean his while we were hunting geese .The overwelming success of Benelli's in the market would suggest they must have something going for them .

While Benelli makes a great shotgun, and I have thought of trading off for one, my SX2 has never let me down in 4 yrs. I have probably put over 20,000 rounds throuh it in that time. Everything from 2 3/4" target loads to 3.5" thumpers. I started shooting sporting clays and skeet with it until I could afford a double gun. I've laid out in an ice storm in a corn field waiting for the geese to show. When the did, the SX2 went bang, bang and two geese fell. I've dropped into a river bottom and wiped it clean and it still fired. I have not had it an area with a lot of sand so I can't speak to that aspect. I have not been disappointed with it in any way. The only reason I thought about trading it off on a Bennelli was because... it was a Benelli! I have friends who shot the Benelli's and they have not had any major problems with them that I know of. I recommend trying both guns for fit and go with the one that fits you the best. Either way, they'll both thump geese and ducks.

a friend of mine bought a SBE, tring it out w/2 3/4" load it would not cycle went back to the dealer he said he would clean it for him, but he just expected too much from a
3 1/2" gun.
I won a SX2 at a DU banquit that same year never really had heard of them before that but I must say, I hadnt cleaned it for 2 season I figured I won it so the hell with it. It has never failed me I load it up with every junk shell I had laying around and it would go bang!
Last winter -15 wind chill and freezing rain not even a glitch
My friend keeps his Benneli because it says Benneli on it and I shoot all the shells his gun doesnt like

Two differences I have seen here. Benelli will kick the crap out of you and you can probably buy 2 Super X's for the price they charge around here. I live in Duck country and guys around here have alot of trouble from their Benelli's for some reason. Everyone here shoots Rem's.

wiguy,
Benelli will tell you to shoot several boxes of heavy loads to break the gun in before it will reliably operate the light 2 3/4" stuff. Any problems I've ever heard of have been with the SBE 3 1/2" gun. The 3" Benelli's don't have these few quirks.

Steve,
A couple of points. One, the Benelli is considerably lighter than the gas guns. Lighter weight obviously means more recoil. Of course, gas operation also means less recoil. Gas operation sometimes means less reliable too, so you can't always have your cake and eat it. That lighter weight probably is not a concern for a waterfowl shotgun. For the turkey hunter, predator caller, small game and upland hunter that covers lots of ground that lighter weight is a real plus. I never notice recoil when swinging on a quick moving coyote. Or a strutting tom turkey. Besides, Benelli's new recoil compensation system supposedly alleviates the recoil issue while retaining the lightness. I haven't shot the newest M2 guns so can't comment upon that with hands on experience. I do hear very good things about it. You mentioned Remington's semi's - that's the gun I hear the worst reports about! I've owned the older 1100 series guns and had some bad experiences with them. I've never owned the 1187 series, but don't hear great reports about them in adverse conditions. Oh well, you pay your money and take your chances... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I have an 11-87P that gets carried everyday, banged around, shot a whole bunch, way more than the average duck or goose hunters gun. This thing flat rocks, every round of buckshot, every slug goes bang everytime. It's the kind of gun I bet my life on, that's why it rides in between the seats of my cruiser. It's not babied or pampered, it's a working gun with some tough conditions to stand up to.

I've heard all kinds of problems with all types and brands of shotguns, probably the majority of the problems are owner/user induced, usually failing to properly maintain the firearm. Believe it or not, the Winchester SX2 seems to get the least amount of negative reports on all the sites I have been on.

I just purchased a Mossberg 935, it could have been a mistake, not sure yet. I hope to get it out in a week to give it a real test in very cold and possibly wet conditions. I don't baby my guns, they get used, so it will have some tough tests coming up shortly. I have read some peoples reports that the Mossy's are garbage. I've read others that say the 935 is a great shooter and well worth the money....well, we will see. I have a several hundred magnum rounds that will go through this gun come the week after Christmas. I'll try to remember to post my results.

MH WASH, if you stop by the place you can test it out too, I want it shot and tested with the desire to shoot it until it fails or falls apart. It's covered under warranty, Mossberg says it's a tough gun, they can fix it if it breaks.

Beretta xtrema , awesome gun , shoots 7/8 oz trapp loads and 3 1/2 triple BBs with no hicups , water , cold , dust , sand and cheap shells, no jams and to beat all it wont beat you up, benelli is a great gun, but its second to the xtrema , and I have both . my 2 cents

Welcome to the board Spot!

GC, I hear what you are saying. I have shot Rem's all my life and have not had a problem with them, 1100's and 1187's. Still shoot the 1100 I bought with I was 16. You do have to clean them once in a while though.

Also, I have never seen a Benelli screw up either. I could not believe all the bad stuff I started hearing from all the Benelli hunters around my area. They used to really talk them up. Complaints were from jams.

In addition, I have heard several reports of parts breaking on Super X guns too.

Price and recoil would be my only complaints on the Benelli. I know you have extensive experience shotgunnin predators in your area. I very seldom ever use a shotgun on yotes.

from what I have heard they stiffend the the spring to help with the recoil on th BE 2 wich made cycling the light loads more unreliable , the benelli only really kicks more with the 3 1/2 's the bolt really slams the back of the reciever , I never really had mine jam much only when it got really dry and dusty and they will all do that, but when the bolt comes forward theres that last little bit of rotation to close the bolt if it dont happen it goes click not bang , I guess im a slow learner , the benelli is a solid, great gun , its like any thing else if you know the quirks you adjust , just had a harder time with the benelli than the beretta , we still use the first benelli we bought, sits in the front seat, barrel sawed of at the end of the extended mag, we call it "wally" the walloper kicks like a mule but it gives you 6 tries and its got a nice forgiving pattern

GC
I'm sure that his gun is broke in now he hasnt complained about jamming in a while w light loads, too bad the dealer couldnt been more help

I would of bought a Bennelli if I hadnt won the SX2(the SX2 is by far the most reliable weapon I own)

Do you guys think Bennellis popularity is partially due to there extreamly huge marketing advertizing?
Would the Stoeger 2000 (I think thats what its called) be a lodgical alternative, It has same action as the SBE (correct me if i'm wrong)
I have a friend in the market for a shotgun looking at a Bennelli and I suggested the Stoeger instead
I hope that was a good move

Back