Velocity load testing

Relentless2013

Recently did some load development testing with both Nosler 55 and 70 grain bullets. Velocities from 55 grain were 3825fps and 70s were 3450fps. Both shot equally well. Going off ballistic calculations 55gr are flatter shooting all the way out to 500yds but of course the 70 have quite a bit more energy. So what would you guys do if you had a choice between the two options? Thanks

It all depends on what you want to do with them. Calling coyotes the 55s should be great, it is a go-to bullet in my 6s. If your hunting larger game I'd personally would go larger than 70s. For me 70s are kind of a tweener bullet, too much for coyotes and too little for deer. They do make a great paper punching bullet though.

.243 55gr Nosler B-Tips are great for Coyotes.

The only cartridge that will match it or maybe even beat it is the 22 Creedmoor.

I want to try those new Hornady ELD-VT bullets in both those rounds. I really like all thats space in the front of those bullets.

Depends upon environment I'd say. I've shot a few hundred over the years with with the .243 using 58 Vmaxes, 70 NBT's, 75 and 87 Vmaxes and I think the lighter/faster bullets anchor them betterand have a "lights out effect" inside 300yds when hit well. The 87's perform better beyond 300 and in real close where you need it to stay intact yet exit with large holes at any angle or distance, but you can't rely upon hydrostatic shock to give them the "lights out effect" that the light 55/58's get beyond 75yds. The 75's are happy medium and out to 100-150yds exhibit the same lights out effect of the 58's. yet faster than the 87's.
Another factor is your emphasis on "anchoring" them. Do you need them to fall where they stood(like here in Ohio where 50 yds of travel means to thick cover or property line and unrecoverable) or is it huge fields or prairie where you can drive your truck out and look for it if it runs 100yds or more?
If I were out West(instead of Ohio) I'd definitely use the 87' Vmaxes, and load them as hot as I could for a 26" Bolt gun. Here in the East, I personally run the 58's and limit myself to 400yds because I NEED to anchor them right there to recover them consistently.
From what I've read the hydrostatic effect in the .243 diminishes proportionately as you drop below 2600fps..and that is 300yds with the 58's in .243 @ 3800fps.
The 75's at 3400fps hit 2600 at 250yds as well ast teh 87's at 3200fps. The new 80 VT's I can get to 3300 fps accurately and that retains 2600fps at 300yds. This gives equal anchor ability to 300y, but additional speed beyond that as well as wind drift.
Is it worth double the price per 100 from Hornady? For me, not really, If out West..you're damn skippy.

The 2 seasons I used 55gr B-tips out of my TC Icon (243), I had more runners and floppers than I cared for, and I even lost one. I hit him facing me, at 300yds, and he drops into a canyon. Next time I see him, he is running up a hill about 6-800yds away, with something flapping out of his side.

From what others on here have said about the 6mm 55gr Btip, I think I might have gotten a bad batch of them.

Back