V-Max or Nosler Ballistic Tip??

My 22-250 shoots the V-max's great 1/2moa. Haven't shot "alot" of yotes with them but haven't had any problems dropping the ones I have got. Whats this "splash" you guys are talking about?

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarIt's all relevant to what velocities you are pushing the bullet.

The Ballistic Tip is a stanger constructed bullet and my not expand at lower velocities.

If you are shooting a 55 gr BT at say close to 3000 fps, you will probably experience pass throughs with little expansion, therefore you will have runners a spinners...I know I did. Quite a few of them.

In that case the V-Max works wonderfully.

If you are pushing the BT at velocities at 3250 or better then it's more reliable on predators. Perfect for a 22-250.

The V-Max starts to "splash" at velocities over 3200 fps...and again, you may get runners and spinners. It works great at 3000 fps though. Hammers coyotes & bobcats with very few exits & fur damage.

Just my experience.

Barry

Good info there! Thanks!!

And yes, what do you mean by "splash"

Splash is a large entrance wound that usually doesn't penetrate the vitals because it blows up on contact and does a bunch of damage to the hide.

My Cooper 220S seems to like the 55 gr. Nosler more than anything else. From my casual observations, I don't think the Nosler is as explosive as the V-Max or BK.

But, one must remember, the best bullet out there is the one that hits your targets consistently!

thumbup1.gif
thumbup1.gif

I know this is vmax and bt, but I have to do this. Sierra blitzkings are the choice for me. 55 grain sbk with 24 gr. benchmark + dtech = 1 inch groups at 200 yards. I shot this several times and it is my go to load.

Try 55 Sierras bthp. Known for accuracy and quick kabomb !
Work on the pests and the eaters. Found to be very easy to load for many rifles I have owned. Consistant with what you are looking for. I know this is not what you asked. NBTs don't have the expantion the V-Max has, the Sierra would do both on both, just my experience.

Tacksmacker

I shoot 55 grain vmax 223 and my gun loves them, no problems on the coyotes running off either with a well placed shot.
mike

Quote:Listen to Barry (Rockinbar). He's right on. Bullet performance is velocity dependent.

I agree. You can push a V-Max too fast for its design, and then you get a splash. I'm surprised more people aren't using the 60 gr. Partitions on coyotes. That seems like it would give decent controlled expansion and pnetration across a fairly wide velocity range.

Evil Lurker said: I agree. You can push a V-Max too fast for its design, and then you get a splash. I'm surprised more people aren't using the 60 gr. Partitions on coyotes. That seems like it would give decent controlled expansion and pnetration across a fairly wide velocity range.

I agree, however with cost being a factor, the 60 grain Hornady hollow point works well for me.

Not sure about all this "splash" talk. Hornady loads factory 220 Swift ammo pushing 3600 ft/sec with their 55 grain V-max. I dropped 2 yotes at 100 yards with this factory ammo this winter, both were bang flops too. I ain't saying they don't splash, but you can kill yote sized gritters with 55 grain V-max bullets traveling at some pretty fast velocities.

Now, that being said, I have decided to go with the 55 grain Nosler BT's for most of my other .224 yote guns. They are easier to reload and quite frankly, I just think they have a high "cool" factor.
smile.gif
Rich.

Thanks for all the comments guys.

I somewhat have to agree with Savage99, the factory ammo in the swift,204 and the 22-250 are at much higher velocities then I can get the 223 at. But I do still think that the "splash" can still happen at closer ranges.

I spoke with Hornady, he told me that the V-Max is tested at velocities up to 4400fps.

The 50gr V-Max I noticed has quite a high BC, I'm working on a load right now with it and the Nosler BT at velocities in the low 3500's, I would like to keep them high in order to keep the energy up and flat shooting. Right now I'm getting roughly 1.5" at 200??

Has anyone had good luck with the 50gr for coyotes??

Kevin.

I have had splash on short range groundhogs more than once with 50 gr. Vmax in my 223 and .222 bolt guns. Some better choices for .223 velocities are the Speer 52 gr. HP*, 40 gr. Sierra HP*, 50 gr. Sierra Blitz, and 50-55 Hornady SX.

The Sierra 60 gr. HP* is a good, cheaper bullet with more "ooomph" and penetration; much(?) less costly than the partition.

* also work well at 22/250 velocities

However, all these bullets are rising in price to eventually justify (contrived) a switch to all-copper bullets as lead and copper would all be "equal" in price and copper is more "friendly" to the environment (contrived, but that is the budding logic behind the profits climb...).

JUST my opinion as to the trend....but raw materials in copper bullets cost 5-7 cents per bullet and they now sell for $.50+ per bullet....

Last edited:
+1 rockinbbar, it depends on how fast your loads are, I had great results with the v-max out of my 22-250 55 grain bullet at 3400fps but I tried a 65 grain v-max out of my .243 at 3700fps and it splashes alomost every time.

Back