using red dots or lasers on coyotes

yipnhowl

Anybody use a red dot type scope or laser on their AR15 for coyotes??? I just bought a new AR and trying to decide what I will put on it for optics. It will mainly be the gun for 0-2550-300yds. I will also use it for whistle pigs and rock chucks. Any input would be great.

Thanks,

yipnhowl

Not sure about the scope but this reminds me of the fun I have had with a red dot laser pointer with my Boxer chasing the dot on the floor.

Wonder if you could use one as a Decoy for Yotes.

I don't use one...but I have considered it recently. My broinlaw has one on his .223 AR. He's not a hunter...but I went out shooting w/him and shot his gun. I was hitting pop cans at about 150 yds with his red-dot. Made me think twice about my switching scopes on mine. Would sure be nice in the middle of the night...all you would need would be a silohuette!

I've got a red dot on one of my AR's, it's good for short range, but I wouldn't try it past 100 yds on anything the size of a coyote. If you want to go past 100 yds you might look at a scope with illuminated crosshairs, you can light them up if you need to.

I've got an Eotech on my .223 AR15 20" bushmaster and have no problem hitting my steel coyote target at 200yrds I've been carrying it lately to see if it helps on those close runners.

Gary

I am a complete novice, however, I believe a 16" AR-15 carbine with a GOOD red dot sight is the ultimate coyote callin' rig for brush country and eastern coyotes. I hunt in east central Ohio where most shots are going to be 150yds or less most times. Having said that I am able to hit clay pigeons with my RRA carbine and Burris XTS speedot out past 150yds. easily. I use the both eyes open sighting method with my red dot and it is super fast and suprisingly accurate. I believe if more brush country folks would try this combo on their AR's they would be suprised how accurate a GOOD red dot can be.

I'd say EOTech would be the best choice, since it has a 1 MOA dot. There's an advantage to both eyes open vs. 2-D scope picture in heavy brush, I think. Extreme long-range desert shots, the magnification is an advantage. Under 100 yards, the red dot is very hard to beat. 100 to 200 yards, it's a wash.

I definitely recommend a red-dot sight. Running shots become so much easier. The key to using one though is learning how to use both eyes. Use the eye your looking in the scope with to be the main focus eye, and just use your other eye to see the animal like normal. That way you can see what the animal is doing and about to do and you can react with the eye looking through the red-dot. As already mentioned, they're great for thick brush country and for quick, repeating shots. My dad and I just got back a mount we ordered from the B-Square company and we mounted it on our old Winchester .30-30 with a red-dot on it. We haven't sighted it in yet, but I must admit, it looks freaking sickly awesome!!! Good luck in your decision.

If you have some money to spend look at the ACOG line of scopes. Tough as nails, lots of guys that are in the military use them over in the sand box. Good for close up and reachin out!

-DTL

Eotech, all the way. I have one on my 20" Bushy, man is that gun fast!!!! Sight aquisition is increadable. Just find your target in the circle and use the 1 MOA dot to fine tune your point of impact. I have the 511.a65 on my rifle, it uses the "N" style batteries. The sight itself is shorter than the ones that use AA bat's. No need in the NVG version, unless you have the goggles to go with it. I also looked at the AimPoint sights, but they have a single 2 MOA dot, harder for those longer shots. My Eotech is good for yots @ 200 yds. but not much more. Good luck, and let us know what you get.

Quote:
Is the 1 moa dot small enough to put a shot in the "boiler room"?

A 1 MOA dot would cover a 2 inch circle at 200 yards, so you should be able to hit a coyote easily if you have a bipod or rest, but you need that with a scope, too.

Quote:
how tough is it to see a coyote at 200 yds with a red dot?

Most of them you look through with both eyes open, so it's not any harder than seeing them without a rifle. You're just looking through a piece of clear glass with a colored dot projected onto it. The coyote will look small compared to a magnified scope picture, but you should be able to hit it just fine with a small red dot like an EOTech at that range. I believe only the EOTech has a 1 MOA dot, unless I missed something when I was researching the beasts.

I was kinda considering buying a scope with an illuminated reticle to go on my AR when I get it. Now after reading this post I'm wondering if the red dot would be better. Both eyes open kinda makes me lean more toward the red dot sight. We can't use lasers, lights or night vision but either of the above, I would think, would sure help in low light or night time.

I have been using an EOtech on my AR, as well as a 3 x 9 scope. The first optic I got for my AR was the Nikon 3x9 , which IS better for coyote hunting out here in utah. If my day is dedicated to coyote hunting, it stays on the AR. I also do a LOT of jackrabbit shooting (hunting) out here as well, and there is nothing better (imo) than the EOtech for that. However...if I were to do it all over again, I would get the EOtech 1st. To answer you question, though, a good red dot or holograhic optic will definately do very well. I would not hesitate to shoot at a coyote under 300 yds with the EOtech (with shooting sticks),but, for my crappy eyesight, magnification is a big plus.However I HAVE nailed sitting jack rabbits at aprox 200 yds with the EOtech. I have mine mounted on a larue throw lever mount that absolutely holds zero after removal and reinstall. I might suggest the same for you. Good luck to ya.

I have a Leopold 3 X 9 Illuminated Rectum, I mean Rectical /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif, on my AR and a laser mounted on the side with a preasure switch. I do some hunting with NV and that is the primary reason for the laser, but it comes in extremely handy for those that want to come in hard and fast at night.
A whole new meaning to point and shoot /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif.
Laser is mounted on the side of my pic-a-tiny rail, zeroed in with the scope at 100 yrds, I have hit bobcats in the neck at 120 yrds with it...

I had a red dot on my AR in Arizona. It was OK. Longest shot with it was on a fox from one ridge to the next, approx 100 yards. The dot covered his body (top to bottom), and it did the job. But I decided that I prefered my 1.5-5X Leupold. The 1.5X is also quite fast, and I felt that I could place shots better with the Leupold.

In the woods, well..........., the red dot would have its advantages!

Something like the Eotech is probably the best of all worlds.

Back