Two shotgun killed coyotes

doggin coyotes

About 22 yards. Young male
ccdec2209shotgun2.jpg

About 20 yards. Young female
ccdec2209shotgun1.jpg

Sounds like good day. How far is the shotgun good for and what were you using for a load.I have only used a rifle.

Quote:I just cant bring myself to take the shotgun over a rifle.

I could barely do it either until I finally got one with my shotgun...now I love to bring it! Shooting them with a scattergun is very fun. Good job on the two dogs!

Thanks guys.

A little more about yesterdays adventure now that I've had some sleep.

I met up with PM member Colorado Coyotes (Dennis) down in his neck of the prairie at 6:30am. Mr. Dennis is about as nice a guy as a person would ever wanna meet. He also packs bunches of Nutter Butter cookies and some dang good Potica bread!
thumbup1.gif
As an added bonus, CC has secured permission to hunt coyotes on billions of acres! Well, almost billions. lol It was a fun day. Thank You Dennis.

About the shotgun. Yesterday was overcast, cool and wind was light most of the day. We both started the day packing rifles. Like Guywildstorm, I prefer a rifle. After things went awry with the first called coyote I figured it might be a shotgun kinda day.

I parked the rifle in favor of the shotgun loaded with #4 buck. I mostly used it the rest of the day. I would position myself fairly close to the caller for the hard chargers and Dennis would hang back with the rifle for any coyotes that might come in and stop or hang back out of shotgun range. As it turned out, the shotgun seemed to be the weapon to use yesterday.

Thanks again for a great day CC! Looking forward to doing it again some day.

I was rifle only guy for a long time and I did well. But in the last two years, I have moved to "adding" a shotgun to my arsenal of tools to hunt coyotes. I say adding because my shotgun does not/did not replace my rifle. My rifle is my rifle and I use it where it should be used. But I also see the same logic applied to areas that dictate faster shooting, close in animal reality, and the infrequency/inability to take long shots anyway and for me, then the shotgun is the way to go. It won't work for everyone but when it can, it is a great tool. I have shot 30 dogs since November of this year and of them, about 23 have been with shotgun. If I were a hardcore rifle guy...well...I would not have shot so many cuz I am a terrible rifle shooter!
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: guywildstormLooks like a good day to me. I just cant bring myself to take the shotgun over a rifle.

Guy
Theres an easy fix for that... Carry both!

Good shooting!

Cason

Originally Posted By: getemcloseHey doggin, Did you use our little secret sound???
shocked.gif

I sure did Mitch. But don't worry buddy, our secret is safe. I took care of the mouthy lil birdie
wink.gif

i was strictly a rifle guy as well until i witnessed a shotgunned coyote slaying with my own eyes and man i tell you what it was a rush.
i went out bought me a remington 11-87 that shoots up to 31/2" mag and bought 100 rnds of 3"#4 buck and here i am 10 shotgunned coyotes later and the shotgun goes with the rifle with the exception of the last 2 trips,having space issues with the samuri when there is more than me hunting.
but i have learned more about calling and coyotes since too....i learned what an effective tool lips squeeking is when shotgunning coyotes.
i am now not limited to open areas for calling sites.
a whole new coyote hunting world.

Should have been a couple more on the ground if I had done my part. I'll just say I had a Nutter Butter overdose.

It was still a good day, anytime Larry, you're welcome.

Back