TURKISH HOGS ( WILD BOARS ) !!!!!!

Here is another one that is considered as "quite small" for my standards.... I shot this one about a month ago.

Y2pD7i.jpg

This one had 21cm (8.3 in) tusks so I went there again in the morning to cut off the chin to pull off the tusks to be added to my tusks collection.

bo0amV.jpg

You can see the hatchet and upper chin already cut off in my hand. First we skin the upper & lower chin then cut off the chin with the hatchet. Later on we boil the chin for 45-60 mins and then simply pull off the tusks. Then clean outside & inside of the tusks

Here is his actual tuskers compared to the biggest one I have so far...
smile.gif

GjVGuA.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice work, DC and beautiful too!

Your wall trophies are a proud source of accomplishment!

Is it hog hunting season for you all year around or just certain times of the year?

They are some wicked prehistoric looking beasts, that is for sure, almost look like left overs from the last Ice Age!
ohmy.gif

YIPES!!! Imagine trying to hunt one of those beasts with a stone tipped spear... LOL

I'd feel nervous enough with a semi-auto centerfire rifle and a magazine full of rounds.
wink.gif

Thanks alot.

Currently the driven hunt season is over. The season starts Mid August and ends Mid February.

Although the season starts Mid August, we don't do too much hunting till Mid November. The reason is most of the places we hunt are covered with dense heavy bushes, trees. So generally wait for Mid November for leaves to fall of for a better view.

And we try to go and hunt in open space areas till November.

These dates are for DRIVEN HUNTS , a driven hunt is a hunt where dogs and beaters chase the pigs into our direction and we shoot what we see , these pigs are 99% running all the time. So in a driven hunt we do not get a chance to shoot at a stopping hog.

Apart from Driven Hunts, we have BAITING or STALKING night hunts. These are similar to your night hunts. The season for this is full year and this is a paid hunt. We pay the government and we pay the hunting guides. In this hunt we shoot only at big Boars. We let the sows and youngs live.

In the night we encounter the biggest boars, I think the biggest boars with the biggest tusks in the world do live here. We generally use 300 WM, 8x57, 8x63, 9.3x62, 375 H&H calibers, a .223 will not stop our boars easily unless you shoot them from their head !! So I am very used to making head shots.

Also in summer time we go field huntings as wild boars are at the fields. The biggest of the biggest wild boars never leave the forest where they live. So we bait their surroundings and shoot them as we see them.....

Originally Posted By: LDhunterYIPES!!! Imagine trying to hunt one of those beasts with a stone tipped spear... LOL

I'd feel nervous enough with a semi-auto centerfire rifle and a magazine full of rounds.
wink.gif

You should feel nervous if you're firing .223 rounds in your semi auto ... LOL
smile.gif
Imagine 300WM or above
smile.gif

I wouldn't doubt that you have some left over ancient Wooly Mammoth's still hiding out in those forests breeding with those swine!!!

They do look fierce and by your listing of calibers used on them, I know they are tough to put down.

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseOriginally Posted By: LDhunterYIPES!!! Imagine trying to hunt one of those beasts with a stone tipped spear... LOL

wink.gif

smile.gif
Imagine 300WM or above
smile.gif

DC,

I'm a 308 kind of guy for hogs and coyotes with a Pulsar N750 atop my BAR Lightweight Stalker.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog...031&tid=008

$bob$

Last edited:
In Michigan, a feral pig here would be a snack for one of these guys. At first I thought it was a buffalo with tusks until further examination. Excellent pictures.

I went to 2nd grade in Izmir Turkey where my Dad was stationed in 1969-70 with the Air Force. He hunted wild boar over there. He bought a nice Winchester Model 88 in .308 for his hunts over there and gave it to me on my sixteenth birthday.

Oh great story, Izmir is a nice place.....

We hunt alot around Izmir.

@randall729

Here is the tusk I got from one big wild boar I shot about 6 months ago.

Look at the size of his tusks compared to a 300 Win Mag .

We are dealing with the biggest boars of the world probably
smile.gif

sEYMwQ.jpg

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: LDhunterOriginally Posted By: doublecheeseOriginally Posted By: LDhunterYIPES!!! Imagine trying to hunt one of those beasts with a stone tipped spear... LOL

wink.gif

smile.gif
Imagine 300WM or above
smile.gif

DC,

I'm a 308 kind of guy for hogs and coyotes with a Pulsar N750 atop my BAR Lightweight Stalker.
http://www.browning.com/products/catalog...031&tid=008

$bob$

Just saw your post, 308 sounds right but in Europe we use mainly

9.3x62
375 H&H
8x68
300WM

Generally for the hog hunting. But some also use 308 and 30-06 as well.

However AR15 and similar (semi auto) is strictly forbidden for hunting.

I wish they would allow AR15 one day
smile.gif

The longer one are the lowers. The lower tusks (cutters)grow continuously and are sharpened against the uppers (whetters)

You can see the black gum line on the tusks. It is common on mounted heads or European skull mounts for them to "pull" the tusks to appear much larger than they were in life, since most of the tooth is below the gum line and inside the jawbones.

$_57.JPG

When the mouth is closed the lowers should be in front of the uppers. Neither of these hogs as mounted would have been able to close their mouths or eat.

If they have whited out the gum line, you can still tell. If it doesn't look like the mouth will close with cutters against the whetters then they have been pulled.

Here is another good example. You can tell where the lowers are sharped by the uppers, but not matched up in the mount.

$_57.JPG

To me, this is the equivalent of mounting a big buck, but slitting the skull cap to give it 6 more inches of spread.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: BearWhich is the larger tusks, the lower or uppers?

The lowers are the longer and sharper tusks. The uppers actually sharpen the lowers as they rub together when the hog opens and closes his mouth.

Back