Tree squirrel hunters unite!

I cant wait for the leaves to fall. We have a special spot at one of the conservation areas around here where its nothing but pecan trees and we usually do really well when we hunt there. Me and my cousin was around Garden City this morning dove hunting if you know where that is. Five hours of hunting and only saw three birds and none came close enough. I think the fog ruined it for big time. We would catch occasional glimses of the sun for a few seconds but never really came out until after noon. He went back tonight with a buddy and only got three. Oh well maybe next weekend. Good hunting, Josh

Originally Posted By: cathntrI cant wait for the leaves to fall. We have a special spot at one of the conservation areas around here where its nothing but pecan trees and we usually do really well when we hunt there.

i think i was just there. they are there now just go you will do good dont have to wait for the leaves to fall.

here are some pics of the weekend hunt
sun2.jpg

sun3.jpg

sun4.jpg

Great pictures! That's a load of squawks for sure. BTW, the limit per person is going to be raised next year to 10 per day. I don't think that is going to really make much difference for me. I like to get enough for a meal and I'm good with that.

Great pics guys. I remember my first squirrel like it was yesterday even though it was 1981. About blew it in half with a 20 gauge. I was a very proud 12 y.o. Need to get back into squirrelin with my 9 y.o. son starting to hunt.

its a great way to teach woodsman ship, patience and good shot placement. if you hit the wrong spot then they are hard to clean.

Last edited:
...Hey,GC, our mast in this area is spotty, also. I'm in the middle of the springs area(Alley Spring, Big Spring, Greer Spring, Round Spring, etc.) in Mark Twain Nat'l Forest.

I usually kill a hundred or so squirrels, every year, with the exception of last year. We had no squirrels and I didn't kill a single one. We hardly saw any at all, even during deer season.

My Dad started me squirrel hunting, when I was six years old. He got me a .410 single-shot bolt action. I used it for about 4 years, then I outgrew it, or so I thought. Wish I still had it.

My squirrel rig now is a tricked 10/22, with a 3-9x 40mm ballistic dot scope. I also carry my Mark II Target, with open sights. I've killed a bunch with it, sometimes on the first or second shot, sometimes at the end of the second clip.

The squirrels , right now, are working the black oak acorns, and a few pine cones. I have a big black oak in my back yard that is covered, and the ground under it has a mess of acorns, too. They seem to be good and solid, not wormy like so many years.

Man this brings back memories. Used to do quite a bit of squirrel hunting. Always with a .22 though, about the maddest I ever saw my dad was when I got one with a shotgun once, that just wasn't done according to him. He wasn't a hunter, but a guy he grew up admiring used a rifle so that was the way it was supposed to be done. Bad as my allergies have gotten I've got to wait till frost to get out to the woods, time to get the old .22 lined up and ready. I've got several oaks in the yard that are loaded and the squirrels are working them hard. Wifey claims them as her pets though.

Savagenut

you ought to go over to gist ranch to the west of ya. i was there in june and there were lots of squirrels

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SwiftStill huntin em with a 22LR can't hardly beat it!

Yep. Started out with a shotgun as a kid but once I switched to a rimfire around 15 I never went back.

Growing up of a farm in Winchester, Va. I was going with my Grandfather, when I was 5 years old, on his squirrel hunts. I would hold on to his little finger, which was like holding onto a log. He was a squirrel hunter, he knew what spot to hunt, when to hunt. Grandfather was a pipe smoker, it was important to relax and enjoy the woods,the pipe packed with Half and Half tobacco, and not shoot the first squirrel. He would tell me to wait and see if any of his relatives were coming out to join him. He would shoot two or three with a J.C.Higgins 12ga. with #4 shot. GrandFather would always say that is enough for supper, we'll go again in the morning. Now that I'm in my early 60's, I love squirrel hunting. A pipe full of custom blend tobacco, an old Mossberg .22, those memories become as fresh as the day they were created. Squirrel starts here Oct.17th.

Growing up in Southeast Louisiana allowed me the opportunity to hunt squirrel's from October to February. At 46 I've been hunting them dilligently for 40 years. I'll admit I've never killed a squirrel with a shotgun, but have killed tractor trailer loads of them with a .22 rifle and handgun. My first experience with squirrel hunting was tagging along with my dad at the age of 4 and killing my first one with dad's very well used Browning .22 rifle with a steel tube Weaver K-4 at age 6. My dad actually wore that old Belgium made Browning .22 auto completely out!

Over the years I have hunted them with all manner of .22 rifles and handguns. It is quite relaxing to walk a slough bottom with a .22 rifle slung over your shoulder in search of the grey squirrel and the added bonus of running across a tough old fox squirrel:) Some of my most cherished times spent outdoors have been sitting at the butt of a live oak shooting squirrels and then taking a break while enjoying a can of smoked "round steaks" while taking in all that nature has to offer.

nothing better to break in a young hunter on, and nothing better to keep us oldster's going hunting,easy to hunt,inexpensive to hunt,fun to hunt, and mighty fine on the plate with a little gravy and fried potatoes,and a couple biscuits, i've been using aguila sniper subsonic's with a 60gr lead bullets,takes a big red out of the tree with ease

went over to a freinds house this weekend and shot an anshutz all i ca say is wow that thing is stupid accurate had some spinning steel targets at 50 yards with a 22hornet hole in one and i was able to put 3 17m2 rounds through the hole at 50 yards.

tried to group my 10/22 at 50 got about a quarter size hole was disappointed but i still got 8 squirrel this weekend 2 yesterday and 6 today with a few head shot

Back