Thinking of getting a new shotgun.

Tim Neitzke

After having many troubles with my 11-87 supermag, I'm thinking of changing brands. I know anything can have a hicup once ina while, but I've had too many.

It dosen't seem to matter the weather wet/dry or hot/cold.
This past year my gun has failed too go into battery after the first shot fired atleast 6 times! It's a shame because I shoot it well. I also have a 11-87 premier that has a dozen cases of ammo through it with out any troubles.

So, I thinking of changing brands for my 3.5" gun.

Are the Benelli relieable ? Most important are they worth the $$ ?
I've looked at Super X 3 and they don't point well for me.
Have not looked at Browning yet.

Also customer servise is very important.

What do you guys think ?

Thanks...Tim

Last edited:
You could type "shotgun" "Benelli" "SX3" ect. in the search feature and get so much information you'd have trouble reading it all in one evening. My short advice would be to look at Benelli and Beretta and find the one that fits you best. Buy it, clean it, pattern it, and go kill stuff with it.

You might also want to talk to Remington about your 11-97, they are usually pretty good about fixing their guns. I shoot a pump gun for turkeys, a Mossberg 835, with great results. Got a friend with an older Beretta semi and he really likes it. I've had no experience with the Benelli so can't help you there.

Bob,

I have a friend at Gander Mountian. He says every duck season,they get alot of these guns in for the same issues. He also says the supermag is the worst of all 3.5" for troubles.

BTW .....I broke a feed latch before a case of shells went through it.

Tim,
I don't mean to put you off. It really can be about as simple as I said. Fit is all important in shotguns, it is the biggest factor in selecting one, given it is a reliable gun. Benelli is superb in the M2 configuration, the SBE II just slightly less so. A very close second is Beretta. Others brands are distant runners up IMHO. But the way the gun shoulders and handles for you personally is critical and so very important.

You may want to look at the Mossberg 935, I bought the combo set through RRarms about a month ago and I really like it. Mine is the deer turkey set because I use it for predators so I wanted the 24" barrels, the cost $617 plus shipping. I have had it out 8 days, shot 5 coyotes in some less that ideal weather and snow and have no issues. Very happy with my choice.

Quote:
Bob,

I have a friend at Gander Mountian. He says every duck season,they get alot of these guns in for the same issues. He also says the supermag is the worst of all 3.5" for troubles.

BTW .....I broke a feed latch before a case of shells went through it.

I had two Rem 870 Specials, one 3 inch and one 3.5 inch that had so many problems I finally went to the Mossberg 835 and have been pretty happy with it.

Mossberg835-1.jpg

You can't go wrong with a Benelli M2. If its for turkey and varmints only, look at the 21" barrel. The SX3 is a great gun as well. If either of them fit you well, you won't be disappointed.

I've had.........and have at the time a 1100 magnum and a 11-87 premier. I've put cases of buck shot and slugs through both and have never had a jam, or anything. Have shot them dirty, muddy, hot/cold. Maybe it needs a lil TLC? An O-ring replacement maybe? Or have your gas system worked over by a gunsmith. Hate to see ya get rid of it when all it needs a lil TLC, but heck.........it's a good excuse to get another one.

XM110

xm110,

Have not had any troubles with the 3" just the 3.5" gun.
TLC is not the problem it has done it from day one. Didn't matter if it was clean or dirty. I think they just have mech issues.
I hate too get rid of it too. Man the Benelli's are pricey!
Tim

Tough to beat Benelli. The shim system makes it a breeze to fit the gun to you. I have a number of Benellis and have never had problem one. I have to say the same for the Berettas but they require more maintenance and tend to be heavier. Got my first 100 at trap with a plastic Beretta 391a. I have yet to get my second but that is another matter.

As you size up my post, keep in mind that I haver never shot the Winchester. Also, I burned out on the Browning autoloaders many years ago. My Brownings were the best single shot automatics I have ever owned. And this comment comes from one lives and dies 1911s and who believes John Moses Browning nears sainthood.

The one and only downside to a Benelli is that they do not handle recoil like a gas gun. The comfortech system does come close. If you are going to hunt with it, go Benelli. Your grandson, when he gets this firearm after you are gone, will appreciate your wise choice.

Use the following definitions:
* Length of pull: this is the distance between the trigger and the center of the gun butt. On a double gun, this distance is measured from the front trigger.
* Pitch: the angle of the butt in relation to the top of the barrel.
* Cast: the distance the centerline of the stock is offset to one side or another of the centerline of the barrel.
* Drop: the distance from the top of the barrel or rib to the top edge of the stock at the comb and the heel.

Posted the last one too quick. In any case, the shim kit will have little influence on length of pull. It will have marginal influence on pitch. It will go a long way to meet your cast on or cast off needs as well as drop.

I am far from a professional fitter of shotguns. I view it like this. I need to get my eye on the sight plane that kills the birds when I pull the trigger. The shim kit allows you to move the stock left or right of the barrel centerline (cast on or cast off) and up or down in relation to the barrel centerline (drop).

If I see too much of the top of the rib, I am going to be shooting high. This is my main problem because I have a long face. A lot of fixed stock guns I see would present this problem for me. I would not order a double gun, or other fixed stock shotgun, unless I held it first to make sure it fit me. I can get by with a little variance in pull but drop and cast issues can make the gun useless for me.

The shim kits on the Benellis and Berettas allow me to increase the drop and and cast such that I can get all of them to fit. I have enough confidence in the shim kit to order and pay for a Benelli or Beretta sight unseen because I know that I can get it to fit by working the shims.

look for a used super black eagle, if you look long and hard you can find them for as little as $600 plus shipping an transfer fees. Same goes for the m2, try Cabelas Gun library for starters click on the individual store listings I know there is at least one camo m1 24" barrelled gun at the wheeling W VA store for $650. These guns if cleaned can almost run dry with just a dab of synthetic grease. These used guns are where its at in today's market.
later

Back