Thermal Units Competing with FLIR?

Trijicon Acog eyepiece is a good idea.

My Flir LS-64 was 9Hz but the problem was on my end at our post office. It would surely get stuck at the customs here and then they would make me pay 20% of it's value even though it went for repair. .

There is a way to overcome this, I could export this legally for repair purposes to U.S. and in the return I would not pay a penny. But since Thermal Devices for Night Hunting is NOT allowed here, I would be in trouble
smile.gif

Or I could just send it to Flir U.S. and ask them to send it back to an address in the U.S. . Then later on I or a friend would bring it with me/him... As you can see just selling it was an easy solution
smile.gif

I have just uploaded some pics of the new FLIR LS-XR , You can see the LS-XR in detail including the Video Out cable . The Carton box says Flir LS Series but on the White Label it is mentioned as Flir LS-XR .

Also on the S/N label of the device you can see the Flir LS-XR written.

There is a problem with my imageuploading site, so you can see the pictures under this Microsoft One Drive link

FLIR LS-XR PICTURES

I am uploading a VIDEO right now on Youtube and I will share it with you guys as well. This is a video shot by the Flir LS-XR and it's video out cable ..

FIRST EVER VIDEO SHOT WITH FLIR LS-XR

This is the video I promised. I shot the video by using the stock Video Out cable and a DVR Recorder.

The image seems really nice actually. However not to forget, this video was shot during a sunny day time and in the city. I realised the Thermal Imagers show better in the city. I believe the reason for this there are alot of buildings, cars, roads etc which have alot of temperature variations and due to these temp variations the thermal can pick up better.

Here is the Youtube video link . Maybe tonight I might make a NIGHT THERMAL MOVIE at the park

FLIR LS-XR VIDEO SHOOT

Whoops, I looked through your photos of the new LS-XR and saw that it is indeed a 9Hz unit instead of the 30Hz unit that we have here in USA, but even Canada is only allowed 9Hz too....

Originally Posted By: SkyPupWhoops, I looked through your photos of the new LS-XR and saw that it is indeed a 9Hz unit instead of the 30Hz unit that we have here in USA, but even Canada is only allowed 9Hz too....

And do you now understand, how lucky for you guys to live in the U.S.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: doublecheeseOriginally Posted By: SkyPupWhoops, I looked through your photos of the new LS-XR and saw that it is indeed a 9Hz unit instead of the 30Hz unit that we have here in USA, but even Canada is only allowed 9Hz too....

And do you now understand, how lucky for you guys to live in the U.S.
smile.gif

I would feel lucky if it were not for where Barry Soetoro is living now....

Originally Posted By: doublecheese
Gman757 said:
So for me it is a valueable feature and just because of the instaAlert I continued with Flir products, otherwise I was leaning towards a PULSAR HD38S

DC....just for the the record we are in agreement on InstAlert.....

"INVALUABLE" .....adjective.......
indispensable, crucial, critical, key, vital, necessary, irreplaceable, all-important; immeasurable, incalculable, inestimable, priceless.

All good.....Thanks for the video.

Originally Posted By: Insomniac100When you said "New lens Cap" above I was expecting to see an objective lens cover. What you have there is a shuttered ocular eyepiece. The FLIR mil spec M-18 comes with that exact ocular eyepiece and I'm not a fan.

If I end up with one of these on a unit I just can usually turn the rubber cup inside out and trim the tabs off flush with scissors. Flip it back around and install with no tabs and you are GTG.

Last edited:
Thanks Doublecheese for the video. It definitely looks better than the LS64. The image is much crisper and shows more detail. Is there any chance you could do a video in a rural environment showing performance at 100+ yards?

P.S. We used to be lucky to live in the USA. But, it has become a bankrupt police state now run by a closet Muslim committed to destroy what few freedoms we have left.

Last edited:
there are a lot of wise words here in the last few posts...
thumbup1.gif

now about that instalert... I am wondering how the IR outline feature will compare to it. if only there was a way to wear an LS-XR on a helmet. I suppose the M24 is an option, but that thing looks huge...

The helmet mounted M-24 is crazy awesomeness, it is the same size and length as my PVS-14s are and weighs even less, so very comfortable and easy to use.

If you absolutely positively need to see EVERY living thing wherever you look within a 3/4 mile diameter around you, this is what you need:

M24%20Selfie.jpg

M24%20PVS14.jpg

Originally Posted By: Shurshotthere are a lot of wise words here in the last few posts...
thumbup1.gif

now about that instalert... I am wondering how the IR outline feature will compare to it. if only there was a way to wear an LS-XR on a helmet. I suppose the M24 is an option, but that thing looks huge...

The outline is just that....an outline of everything the software filters to be outlined. It doesn't know a stump from a skunk but you do get the outline shape to ID with.

No comparison to the RED instalert but still useable.

HERE IS THE NEW YOUTUBE VIDEO OF THE LS-XR SHOT AT NIGHT

The video is 15 minutes, I hope you don;t get bored. I went to the park near my house. Got attacked by some dogs, luckily I had my NITECORE TM26 3500Lumen flashlight with me, as soon as I shined it to the dogs they all stopped attacking me. There are also some videos of the streets near my home.

I realised something, the viewfinder does NOT actually show as nice as the video shown here !!!!! So the viewfinder on the LS-XR could be better if Flir wanted so !!!!!

FLIR LS-XR VIDEO AT NIGHT

Enjoy ....

Originally Posted By: wompaTo be honest from the videos it doesn't appear to me that it is much of an upgrade from a LS64.

That's the problem with 99% of all those vids. They never show how good a device may or not be.

I use a LS64, works fine for detection of coyotes out to a half mile. But at that distance terrain and other features are often lost in processing or display capability of the LCD. I see the red dot, but there isn't much for depth of field. A BAE core device on the other hand easily distinguishes the target, offers detail & depth of field and no thermal washout. From the limited images & video I have seen the new updates only offer incremental advantages and don't leapfrog the BAE cored devices. I was hoping for more from FLIR.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: SkyPupWhoops, I looked through your photos of the new LS-XR and saw that it is indeed a 9Hz unit instead of the 30Hz unit that we have here in USA, but even Canada is only allowed 9Hz too....
The vid is a 9 Hz unit.

Originally Posted By: wompaTo be honest from the videos it doesn't appear to me that it is much of an upgrade from a LS64.
I am thinking the 30Hz LS-XR unit will perform better.

Originally Posted By: wompaI A BAE core device on the other hand easily distinguishes the target, offers detail & depth of field and no thermal washout.

Wompa....Which unit do you have with the BAE core?

Last edited:
I have used my FLIR LS64 in too many different hunting locations and terrains. I used it at 10F till 100F . I used it at the forests, mountains, fields, shortly in every possible hunting scenario.

My LS64 has never let me down spotting those hogs and jackals and I am sure LS-XR will be even better.

I strongly think it needs some fine tuning with a SW update from Flir. One thing I realised though, the quality of the LCD screen could be better. When I look at the view finder and the screen of the DVR at the same time , the DVR screen shows more in detail.

Probably on Friday, I might goto mountains to try to see the real power of the LS-XR.

Back