Thermal scanner with LRF

sendit223

I'm currently testing the new InfiRay Finder, which is a thermal scanner with laser range finder. It is a 640 12 micron unit with 50hz frame rate and 2x optical.

It is early in the testing, but I am impressed with the image quality and the LRF accuracy. I still need to stretch it out past 400 yards for testing and on critters, but so far so good.

$2500

Seems like a nice scanner. 2x base mag and image is really good. Probably cant beat it for the money.

It reminds me of my Phenom 640 alittle.

Seems too work well in poor conditions too!

How does it compare to the pulsar axion xq35? I’m just getting into thermal and I’m not real happy with the axion. I know the Iray is 640 compared to 384. The picture quality and speed of scanning on the Axion isn’t anywhere close to my Iray Bolt tl35. I’m in the market for another better scanner.

The Iray Finder is much better than the Pulsar XQ35 all around! 640 resolution and works well in High Humidity.

Last edited:
Does the Iray have a way to connect it to something like a Swiss Arca plate with maybe a 1/4 by 20 threaded plate?

Test the lrf in precipitation. My pulsars is a pos in an bit of precip. If the lrf works in fog then the unit is worth looking into. People don’t fall these lrf units being most suck.

My experience with range finders in fog/rain/drizzle when archery hunting has not been favorable except for the higher dollar units. My guess is that there may be problems with most scanners in those conditions also.

Test the lrf in precipitation. My pulsars is a pos in an bit of precip. If the lrf works in fog then the unit is worth looking into. People don’t fall these lrf units being most suck.
I will test in fog as soon as I get the chance. Will be out in the next few days so we'll see. I won't hunt in the rain though!

ETA: I tested in moderate fog and the LRF does not function well. I checked another thermal scope with a LRF and it didn't either. I was actually surprised they didn't work given how little fog there was. Unfortunately I wasn't able to test one of the many daytime LRFs I have to see if they did any better (including an old Leica).

Last edited:
My experience with range finders in fog/rain/drizzle when archery hunting has not been favorable except for the higher dollar units. My guess is that there may be problems with most scanners in those conditions also.
We learned a tip that if you breathe on the laser lens to fog it up good it will then read.
My boys and I had a day that was horrible fog. About 80 yards max vision in open country. Range finder said 7 yards. Breathed on it and it said 35 which was right. Bushnell Broadhead range finder.

Back