Suppressor noise reduction expectations

Erie660

I run a Bannish 223 suppressor on my 22-250 and I am happy with it. This is my first suppressor so I really didn’t know what to expect when I put it on. I compared it to my friends Hybrid 46 that he has on his 6mm Arc and they pretty much sound the same, kinda like a .22. Are all suppressors pretty much the same as far as sound reduction? It is definitely better with it than without it that’s for sure.

Last edited:
In general, the human ear has a very difficult time telling the difference between most comparable suppressors.

There can be a db difference of 4 to 8db and the human ear can't hardly even tell.

I bought my suppressor for the sole purpose of stopping people in the country from hearing my rifle shots at night, thinking there was poaching going on. So my goal was to be neighbor quiet, not movie quiet.

I had my buddy shoot my gun, while I moved out to 100, 200, 300, 400, and 500 yards for each shot. Impacts were into the side hill at 300 yards, so the bullet's sonic boom wasn't an issue vs the gun's report. I could hear the bullet hit the dirt, then the boom from the gun, but no sonic crack of the bullet.

At 100 you could certainly hear it, 200 less so, 300 was like "Did you hear something? At 400, if I would have farted at the shot, I would not have heard it. At 500 I heard nothing from the gun.

Wind speed & direction, plus terrain will have an impact in your results. Neat experiment non the less.

yes cans sound very different depending on a lot of factors. the quiestest is going to be on bolt actions. the most disappointing suppression is probably going to be AR15's and 10/22's. don't get me wrong still way worth it.

also it depends on the hole in the suppressor. shot a 17 cal bullet out of a can rated for 9mm, its going to not suppress that well.

I mainly use cans for my own ears, blast and recoil reduction. I don't really think down range its going to be a ton more quiet. I don't feel its going to have much effect on a coyote spooking or not either.

When I shoot suppressed (22-250) at sleeping coyote during the day. The 2nd of the pair will often stop within 50 feet of the first. Shoot without a suppressor, they may run out of range before slowing or stopping and looking back. Key is instant kill the first(head shot). Multiple visits at a bait site at night are more likely suppressed and quicker. Drop down in caliber/powder volume and you disturb the area less.

I also was not super impressed the first weeks of suppressor ownership.

I remember firing a shot off my back patio with out hearing protection. It kinda rung my bell, not terrible. Both my ears were ringing for some time... I decided to never do that again.

As time passed i have fallen in love. I own some property. I can go out not too far from the house and shoot something, and nobody in my family hears the shot.

Kind of like what ALF was saying.

Few people get disturbed by the report of a 22LR. Through double pain windows with the TV on, and or music, you can't even hear it.

They sure do make the rifles get dirty quick, they are heavy, and make the rifle longer.

I guess you can't have it all.

I think for the most part a lot of suppressors are close. But with that said not all suppressors are equal.

Here is a video I took of a Thunderbeast on a 22-250 and a 6mm arc. Conditions weren’t the best fort being the quietest as it was a roof covered cement pad at a shooting range. But you get the idea of how quiet it is.

I run a Bannish 223 suppressor on my 22-250 and I am happy with it. This is my first suppressor so I really didn’t know what to expect when I put it on. I compared it to my friends Hybrid 46 that he has on his 6mm Arc and they pretty much sound the same, kinda like a .22. Are all suppressors pretty much the same as far as sound reduction? It is definitely better with it than without it that’s for sure.
There is definitely a difference in performance between many makes and manufacturers suppressors. I've been aware that the human ear can not distinguish 3db difference, beyond that there is a tell tale sign of which can is quieter, whether it's just that, "quieter" or it's tone is better.
Most caliber specific cans are more efficient than those that are not. My experience leads me to believe "A" suppressor is better than "NO" suppressor... BUT a "certain" suppressor is better than "other" suppressors.
Unfortunately most won't come to the ladder conclusion because they simply won't do the homework or be able to utilize a plethora of different cans in the realm of what we do. Which I believe is a good thing. Trust those who have the insight if you want to purchase something that is going to be the best for your work.
I've heard it many times... " The quietest suppressor or your money back" Just buy me and find out.

Last edited:
Back