Suppressing a 22-250

Originally Posted By: CoyotejunkiI had my Tikka 22-250 cut down and threaded. It is still one of my favorites

What did you have it cut down to?

I think 18", I'll check. But remember I rare shoot past 200 yards. 300 is about my max. I have taken them further, but it's rare for me.

Just checked, it is 20"

Originally Posted By: ErmineI’m gonna get a 22-250. Plan to run a Suppressor. I’m debating 18 or 20 inch

I've done a lot of 18" 250's man, and that's definitely a sweet spot. I've done a few 16's and it's too short, and a few 20's and 22's, for me that's just a tad long.

FWIW, the plethora of 18" platforms we have built all have been shooters.

Note: they are all 8 twist also, except my Desert Tech, it's a 9 and very very accurate.

Originally Posted By: skinneyOriginally Posted By: ErmineIm gonna get a 22-250. Plan to run a Suppressor. I’m debating 18 or 20 inch

I've done a lot of 18" 250's man, and that's definitely a sweet spot. I've done a few 16's and it's too short, and a few 20's and 22's, for me that's just a tad long.

FWIW, the plethora of 18" platforms we have built all have been shooters.

Note: they are all 8 twist also, except my Desert Tech, it's a 9 and very very accurate.

Thanks James. I have a 6 mm that I really like. But wanting to get a 22-250 Any sound difference with 18” vs 20”. When suppressed?

If you were to get into the the Technical aspects, metering it to the shooters ear, I'm sure you would get a very minuscule reduction on the 20" since it's 2" further away, but I'd bet the meter wouldn't pick it up.

Regarding over all performance in the realm of what we do which is killing, No either will be great. You'll have 50fps to work with on the 20 over the 18, provided your new rig likes the same powder charge.

Originally Posted By: turbo406What about the 16" didn't you like? Was it the way it handled?

i looked at a rem700 cdl at one point that had (i beleive) an 18" barrel. [beeep] thing was a fire breathing dragon. the giant fireball was all you could see in the scope every time i pulled the trigger. i cant imagine shooting one in 16".

First I had a bit of accuracy issues with a couple of them, that I wasn't seeing in the 18"s. I did like the shorter carbine length. But ultimately I believe it's getting a bit short with the case capacity of the 250. Granted it's not much when we are talking 2"s from the 18, but it is quite a bit when we are trying to get a bit more powder burned. If a guy was gonna go 16 I would advise a 223.

Back