Summertime Coyote hunting

Reed Gardner

I want to hunt coyotes this summer but I’ve never tried it in the summertime. Is that a good time to hunt coyotes or should I wait until fall?

Welcome aboard Reed. For some on this forum, anytime is a good time for hunting coyotes. You should check your local wildlife dept. to see if there are any restrictions as to when you may legally hunt. Good luck!(y)

We can hunt year-round in Texas. However, I chose not to because of the following reasons:

1. Fishing has begun
2. Time to get my outside projects done before fall, winter and spring hunting.
3. I give the coyotes a break while they are having pups.

My personal opinion, and I love hunting coyotes.

If your on private lands it is totally up to you to protect the investment you or someone else has in the land.

On public land I think that rearing season should be off limits. If you kill them in the fall and winter they can't have pups in the spring. If they survive the fall and winter hunting season they should have every right to raise their pups un-molested just like every other game animal.

It wasn't that long ago every summer coyote left to rot was like burning a C-note. Hopefully some day we'll see that again.

My personal opinion, and I love hunting coyotes.

If your on private lands it is totally up to you to protect the investment you or someone else has in the land.

On public land I think that rearing season should be off limits. If you kill them in the fall and winter they can't have pups in the spring. If they survive the fall and winter hunting season they should have every right to raise their pups un-molested just like every other game animal.

It wasn't that long ago every summer coyote left to rot was like burning a C-note. Hopefully some day we'll see that again.
Thanks. I’m on private land and hunting coyotes will help protect our cattle.

Welcome aboard Reed. For some on this forum, anytime is a good time for hunting coyotes. You should check your local wildlife dept. to see if there are any restrictions as to when you may legally hunt. Good luck!(y)
Thank you. I am in in Kentucky and we are allowed to hunt coyotes year round, so I will be getting at it this summer

Thanks. I’m on private land and hunting coyotes will help protect our cattle.
I also hunt them year round in my area ( NW OR. ) , mostly on private AG. property and few private properties. Anytime a good time, and summertime no biggie.
'Summertime'.. around here dogs will not really run there routes till it cools off in the Nighttime, and Most time if I see a small real young stupid dog run into me, I will most times give them a one-time break.

Don't know how big your property is ? .. What I think your biggest hurtle will be running into is that the coyotes on your single property are going to wiseup pretty quick big pressure they are being hunted. Any Dog that has been around more than a year or two. You are going to have to really work at developing a wide repertoire of skills once you start popping a few of them because they catch-on pretty fast.

Summertime coyote hunting is some of my favorite. It has its own unique set of challenges. Mainly for us, people are up and out and about much later in the evenings in summer weather.

Thank you. I am in in Kentucky and we are allowed to hunt coyotes year round, so I will be getting at it this summer

Welcome Reed, where you at in Kentucky, I grew up just on the other side of the river from Owensboro.

One thing to know is night hunting in Kentucky DOES HAVE a season so just incase you go down that alley you should know.

There are lots of opinions on summertime hunting, I am against it because I want the pups to grow to adults and killing the parents would be a cruel death for the pups. Killing the female now would ensure the pups would die a horrible death from dehydration or starvation. Killing the male would add a ton of extra stress on the female to raise the litter alone.

All that said, there are legit problems from coyotes with livestock and pets as well as deer, rabbits and upland bird/waterfowl predation caused by them. I totally understand in those cases they need managed.

As for summertime hunting, other than the mosquitoes, snakes, ticks, chiggers and sweat running down your crack, it's about as easy as it gets, pups are extremely dumb and the parents are always hungry and very territorial.

Welcome Reed, where you at in Kentucky, I grew up just on the other side of the river from Owensboro.

One thing to know is night hunting in Kentucky DOES HAVE a season so just incase you go down that alley you should know.

There are lots of opinions on summertime hunting, I am against it because I want the pups to grow to adults and killing the parents would be a cruel death for the pups. Killing the female now would ensure the pups would die a horrible death from dehydration or starvation. Killing the male would add a ton of extra stress on the female to raise the litter alone.

All that said, there are legit problems from coyotes with livestock and pets as well as deer, rabbits and upland bird/waterfowl predation caused by them. I totally understand in those cases they need managed.

As for summertime hunting, other than the mosquitoes, snakes, ticks, chiggers and sweat running down your crack, it's about as easy as it gets, pups are extremely dumb and the parents are always hungry and very territorial.
Thanks. I am around a small town near Bowling Green

Back