Starting a war... Ultimate coyote caliber

"The Coyote Rifle"...
22-250 MATCH, by LongRifles, Inc.
We run over 500 head of cattle, and for some odd reason I still like to keep the fur, so far we've gotten over 30 hi quality kills on HD video in the past couple weeks, including doubles, triples, and quads, 95% are with the 250...
I'll be posting the HD video review up soon with specs on how and why I built it like I did.

longriflesTripple_zpsa5b9269e.jpg

longriflesShooters_zps4e8d6dbf.jpg

quad-1_zps1a234f6a.jpg

The ideal caliber is going to be different depending on how you hunt and where you live.

And that's why I have different guns in the safe. Some are short range and others are used in different circumstances.

For a lot of my hunting I have a 700 VS in .22-250. But I'm by no means a fan of the .22-250. This one is used for populated areas limited to 400 yard shots where you don't want a large muzzle blast.

But when the ranges are long and I don't have to worry about livestock, buildings and people my hands down favorite is the .25-06. Been my favorite for 36 years. When I have this rifle in my hands, if I can see it, it's in mortal danger.

There is no good coyote caliber. Coyotes should not be killed. How can a person kill such a beautiful creature that is so closely related to Lassie? It sickens me to think about it! You guys think your so big and bad with your guns. HA! Guns should be banned! Pathetic.

Originally Posted By: doggin coyotesThere is no good coyote caliber. Coyotes should not be killed. How can a person kill such a beautiful creature that is so closely related to Lassie? It sickens me to think about it! You guys think your so big and bad with your guns. HA! Guns should be banned! Pathetic. I think we got are self a troll here boys
16a69c80.gif
16a69c80.gif
16a69c80.gif

Without even acknowledging the existence of short mags, super short mags, super duper short mags, or super duper pooper short mags (the SDPSM), this is my list of personal favorites.

1) .22-250 is probably the best all around in my humble opinion.
2) .243 a close second, but could arguably be tied for the best.
3) .300 Win. Mag, the best if fur is of zero concern. (They don't even twitch)
4) .223 adequate and fun, especially in a carbine length AR, for tighter areas. I've had a few more run offs with .223, but they still died nearby.
5) 12 gauge - The undisputed king in close cover.

Also .220 Swift is probably up there, although I have no personal experience with it.

There, glad I could settle that once and for all.

My CZ Model 527 "Varmint" .204 using 39 grain Sierra Blitz Kings or my Savage Axis XP Camo Bolt-Action .223 with 55 grain Hornady V-Max bullets!
wink.gif

Last edited:
Define ultimate, in some situations a 17 Hornet would be perfect in others a 257 Weatherby would be ideal, in between are a bunch of darn fine cartridges that will sure work.

I've nailed 'otes with just about everything from .204 to .25-06 and also .270 to .30-06 and .357 to .44 mag.

........ and my top two would be .22-250 and .204 ...

That says a lot about current bullet choices.

Back in '75 when I really cut my teeth on this ...... it was a .243 hands down.

It was said earlier, it depends on you hunting style and conditions ...... they all work and each has it's own particular niche!!

Three 44s

Originally Posted By: COpredatorHow about the good ole 222 remington

+1
It's no secret how I feel about my 17's, but of all the lesser
smile.gif
chamberings, I like the mild mannered, efficient, and accurate 222 best. Followed closly by the 221.

I will agree with RePete, at least in my area. My first coyote rifle was a 243, then got a Remington 788 in 222,it worked pretty well after I discovered the 40 grain bullets, went on to try other rifles and chamberings and while they all work I would pick the 222 or the 221 in a heart-beat. I would go on to say that I am afraid I like them all.

Back